When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Building the ultimate 4th gen 42mm PO

ubiquitous

Since I decided to keep my newest 4th gen PO, I figured I would turn it into a test bed for mods. The first, and biggest flaw on this watch (in my eyes) was not only the bezel insert/pearl, but the bezel itself. I decided to start with this particular item as if my proposed solution was a flop, there would be no sense for me in moving forward any further; it was the show stopper. So, I took a small risk and ventured forth with some gen parts:

IMG_4963.jpg

I contemplated maybe not opening the small blister pack, but decided to press forth anyways...

IMG_4969.jpg

Nice pearl!

IMG_4970.jpg

Old rep bezel:

IMG_4796.jpg

Comparing the gen bezel and insert with rep bezel and my modified pearl:

IMG_4976.jpg

IMG_4974.jpg

Case sans bezel:

IMG_4791.jpg

THICK crystal:

IMG_4792.jpg

And with a tiny bit of effort, it's on:

IMG_4980.jpg

Nice, precision cut teeth:

IMG_4985.jpg

IMG_4989.jpg

IMG_4990.jpg

And the next step to follow?

IMG_4993.jpg

More to come...

Cheers,

R

Guest avitt

Nice....

Looks like you had to relieve that inside edge a bit, but it looks very good.

It's unusual to be able to easily order so many gen replacement parts for a nice watch like this...You can get the dial, hands, bezel, crown, tube, HE valve, bracelet end links, clasp...

Looking forward to seeing where this one goes!

Beautiful. I was thinking about parting with my 42 (since i just modded my UPO), but maybe, just maybe, I might grab a gen bezel and dial and mod the hell out of my 42.

Wear it well Ubi.

The bezel makes for a huge difference in the way it looks. The rep bezel, now that I look at it, has the outer rim a littled too angled/sloped towards the coin edge serrations; the gen is less pronounced in this sense and is a bit flatter. Of course, the teeth are nice and crisp, which also makes for a big difference. The new bezel feels nice and tight with a very sharp click when turned.

Fitting was pretty straight forward; I'm unclear as to whether there are different variations of this watch out there, as some people I spoke with said their's would not fit properly, while I know of at least one other member who has the gen bezel installed. So it could be hit or miss...

Yessir... Gen hands, datewheel and dial are in the immediate future.

In the long term... Maybe AR, crown/tube and clasp or bracelet, etc.

Gotta keep the overall cost in check, as it would be easy to encroach on the cost of gen (thus defeating the purpose of building); with the short term mods completed, I should be at around $680 including the cost of the watch...

Guest avitt

Price is the reason why I ultimately bailed on this project...several times. Adding everything that I wanted to do put me in the neighborhood of a used gen.

Curious...does your 4th gen have a metal or plastic movement ring?

Price and cost factor definitely plays a big role in building vs. buying gen. This is primarily why I decided to go with the Planet Ocean and not, say a 2254.50. While I love the black dial SMP300, the cost to buy a pre-owned gen is sometimes as low as $900 to $1500 for that model. It would be easy to approach that level of parts cost once you factor in the old closed factory case, gen dial, hands, bezel/insert, crown, tube etc.

As for this particular example- It's got the plastic ring and the 2824. I may have a metal ring that will work with some case clamps, however...

IMG_4726.jpg

Guest avitt

If it's like my 4th gen (or Paul's 5th gen) then you may find that it doesn't have a groove to accept case clamps.

I had to mod my case by cutting a couple of carefully placed slots for the clamps:

img2590y.jpg

img2596m.jpg

There wasn't enough space under the case back for the anti-magnetic shield, however.