When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How long should a rep last?

slask111

I have been on the forums for a year now and have during that time bought 5 reps. Not the cheap ones but rather reps that are considered to be good/great ones. All bought from approved dealers. Now all off them has had errors during the past year. I didnt really think about it until today when i went to the watchbox to get a watch and couldnt find any that work as it should. Now

Most reps contain used/unserviced movements. Furthermore, the 'factories' that make them have little or no QC, which is why so many reps are DOA or fall apart soon thereafter. However, any higher-end rep that is used within its specs & professionally serviced every 5 years should last a lifetime.

I think you've simply had extremely bad luck. Out of the 50 reps I've owned only two or three have had ANY problems at all.

But then I have never bought from the dropshippers. Only from the dealers who QC and fellow members.

Sometimes I think the answer to this is "How long is a piece of string?!"

It is a hit and miss hobby sometimes and can be very infuriating with it!! But I guess that is part of the lure of the hobby, "If it breaks can I fix it, if I can't fix it can I break the dealer?!?" lol.

Sixx :bones:

Well, all of the problems you have had could be fixed by a competent watch smith

I do belive that you seam to have a bit of bad luck there with qc,

Now i work my watches hard, i swim with them, run with them, chop wood, ride a harley and and other things and i have only had one or two small problems and i expect my good reps like the SFSO, ingy, DSSD, 3717 to last a life time if i service them when required.

Ditto what the others have said...as well:

UPO:

Crooked logo.

Fixable...pop off the dial, re-centre and glue

Tag Link A7750

Chrono second hand wont reset back to 12` marker.

Broken bracelet pins.

Fixable with movement servicing...common problem. Broken pins are unfortunately another common cheap Chinese rep QC problem. Posting a request for spare pins might find a member who can help you out.

TAG Carrera A7750

O-ring sticking out from the case.

Common. You might have to get a replacement gasket from a watchmaker as the one in there if it's sticking out is probably stretched too much. This is cheap. Either the gasket wasn't seated properly when the back was screwed on, or was the wrong size.

Ebel 1911 A7750

Cant screw in crown. Date wont change. Chrono hand wont reset back to original position.

Not sure if the crown is supposed to be screw down or push in...By-Tor would know. The date change happense sometimes because there sometimes isn't a washer to hold the datewheel down and the gap between the dial and movement can be too much causing the wheel to slip. Cheap fix by any watchmaker. Chrono pushers not resetting to 12-o-clock is very common and fixable with movement servicing.

PAM 104

Crown head fell off.

If the crown fell off, it might be able to be screwed back on and loctite applied. If the stem snapped off, that might involve more work.

Hope this helps.

wow, you have just had extremely bad luck.....more then 40 reps in the past 2 years , only 3 gave some problems which were easy to solve. I bought from trusted dealers and from members so maybe I was lucky but so far so good..........

Thnx for all the good replys :)

It seems im struck with a bit of bad luck. I have learned though to use dealers that QC, i think that could save me alot of problems in the future.

I am going to send the chronos to dom for service so im hoping that i will have watches that work later this fall. I just wish a could use a watch for more then 6 months without parts falling of etc etc.. ;)

Again thnx for all the input so far. Pls share your experiences.

Best source for reps: Veteran trusted members / member trades.

I have never, ever received a bad watch from the forum friends. 3 months old rep is often better than brand new because the members have already done the QC in practice (when they have worn the watch).

The possible problems usually occur very quickly after the purchase.

I've bought 2 out of my 3 recent gens from the veteran RWG members too. There is no better source for ANY watches than our sales section.

Best source for reps: Veteran trusted members / member trades.

I have never, ever received a bad watch from the forum friends. 3 months old rep is often better than brand new because the members have already done the QC in practice (when they have worn the watch).

The possible problems usually occur very quickly after the purchase.

I've bought 2 out of my 3 recent gens from the veteran RWG members too. There is no better source for ANY watches than our sales section.

This Is true but you really need to be quick on the draw. I have to laugh when I see all these members names down below. There just sitting there hour after hour In a holding pattern, If you will. Then there Is a new sale and BAM all hell breaks loose. :D

There just sitting there hour after hour In a holding pattern, If you will.

They do?

Well the forum has experienced some occasional slowdowns lately. Maybe it's because all those guys are constantly hitting the refresh button? :D

I wonder if the watch Nanuq drove over in the Range Rover/dropped from the balcony/lit on fire on the stove top/crushed with a rock is still working?

:p

I'm sure it is. Don't you remember... it was a Rolex. :D

Life is funny. There are millions of Chinese children hoping that each and every one of our rep's fail today so daddy can make a new one so they can live just one more day. Oh how selfish we are. Humanity is like a goldfish bowl. One goldfish dies and the others just swim around like nothing happened.