When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How close are the MBW Jumbos!

Guest Sql_pl

Main flaws are screws on the bezel which should be white gold but are made to look like yellow gold and the obvious display back showing incorrect movement. But some batches had solid caseback which made it much closer to gen. Bezel screws have never been updated as far as I know.

are you asking about the Nautilus or Aquanaut?!

AFAIK, there are a couple of dealers that can source MBW models for you...once of them is Narikaa (I believe his service is one of the best that you can get - browse the forum and you'll find all the needed details)...

are you asking about the Nautilus or Aquanaut?!

IMO none of them. Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Jumbo...

The RO Jumbo actually has some flaws.

1. The case: The gen AP RO Jumbo does not have a case back. The genuine case is a single piece with integrated back.

Case.jpg

2. The case / dial combo on the closed case back versions: The dial replicates the ref. 15202, but the last version available with closed case back was the ref. 15002.

3. The movement on saphire case back versions: Obviously this is not a Jaeger LeCoultre 2121...

4. The screws: Should be white gold as Sql_pl mentioned above.

The MBW RO Jumbo is a very nice watch, but it does have some flaws-

-Case construction

-Gold bezel screws

-Hands are incorrect in terms of shape and finish

-Genuine 15202/2121 does not have a seconds hand.

If you can look past those flaws, it's a nice watch- Great feel to it and the brushing on the case is well done. Before I parted with mine, I modded the movement with a new cannon pin to eliminate the seconds hand...

IMG_3350.jpg

IMG_3351.jpg

222_2254.jpg

I wish someone would do a nice, accurate Classic Royal Oak (36mm and Jumbo) with the correct case construction, etc. They were able to do it with the Nautilus... The RO isn't much different.

Main flaws are screws on the bezel which should be white gold but are made to look like yellow gold and the obvious display back showing incorrect movement. But some batches had solid caseback which made it much closer to gen. Bezel screws have never been updated as far as I know.

I've seen gens with bezel screws that were very close in color to the MBW/MBK. The biggest flaw with the screws as far as I can tell is that they aren't rounded at the top like the gen.

The other flaws not yet mentioned is the large gap in the AP logo on the dial of the rep, and the gaps in the grid pattern of the dial are much narrower than the gen.

Edited by PatronSaintofChainsaws

• 2 weeks later...

IMO none of them. Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Jumbo...

The RO Jumbo actually has some flaws.

1. The case: The gen AP RO Jumbo does not have a case back. The genuine case is a single piece with integrated back.

True, but this is pretty hard to tell on the wrist. The minute you take the watch off and turn it over you're busted by the movement on the new version, so I'd go with the older version and remove the scond hand.

That being said I love the MBW genta pieces because of the fit and finish. If anyone can recognize the flaws at a glance on my wrist, God love 'em, I'm busted. But the genlike fit and finish (especially the brushing) of the MBW's would convince 99.9% of the people who see your watch, even the few who could ever identify a Royal Oak (or an AP for that matter).

That being said I love the MBW genta pieces because of the fit and finish. If anyone can recognize the flaws at a glance on my wrist, God love 'em, I'm busted. But the genlike fit and finish (especially the brushing) of the MBW's would convince 99.9% of the people who see your watch, even the few who could ever identify a Royal Oak (or an AP for that matter).

+1

Though I do find the Jumbo a trifle large for my somewhat slight wrists :(

• 2 weeks later...

Those flaws you guys mentions are quite the flaws on this MBW model. However, for the screws, I did ask who did this model. He said he can custom made the screws to be in white gold color with solid caseback with the minimum order of 40 pieces.

If you guy are interested, please let me know.

Cheers,

Paul

Those flaws you guys mentions are quite the flaws on this MBW model. However, for the screws, I did ask who did this model. He said he can custom made the screws to be in white gold color with solid caseback with the minimum order of 40 pieces.

If you guy are interested, please let me know.

Cheers,

Paul

I'm in, for sure. Any chance to remove the secs hand too?

As far as I can tell both the 14802ST and here Also the 15002ST both had solid case backs and gold screws, you could probably swap them with a cheapo versions if you really felt the need to.

I have seen at least one gen Jumbo at an AD with similar screws and my Jumbo looks pretty similar. They really are very high quality watches and though not a daily wear watch they do work on many levels.

p8284135.jpg

p8284141.jpg

ST4

That would fix quite a lot of flaws. How much this special run piece would cost us? I may be in.

Price is depended on the quantity. We, who are the first group to try it, might get it cheaper than the others who buy this model later once it is completed. Price ranged for the first batch should be aroun $300 - $320.

I'm in, for sure. Any chance to remove the secs hand too?

I think he can do that as well.

Why dont we list we want want him to modify the MBW AP RO Jumbo? :) and I will discuss with him whether which one he can do for us. :)

Cheers,

Paul

IMG_2134.jpg

IMG_2135.jpg

IMG_2136.jpg

IMG_2137.jpg

Here is the original piece that I got from MBW as an example to have modification. As in pics, the screw will be replaced with white gold plated screws and its back will be solid case back.

Price of this will be $330 + shipping for group buy. He want the minimum order of 30 pieces. Please let me know who will be in this project.

Cheers,

Paul

That would fix quite a lot of flaws. How much this special run piece would cost us? I may be in.

I'd be in too.

In the meantime the best way to fix the screws would be to remove them and have them rhodium plated. Since almost all white gold jewelry is rhodium plated almost every jeweler could arrange for rhodium plating. Will they? it doesn't hurt to ask. I once had an entire Muller Carazy hours rep platiunum plated for $60 at one of those places that engrave stuff at the mall. I asked him if he knew anyone who does plating. He said that he did plating all the time and told me to bring whatever I wanted plated back the next day. i did and a week later I had a faux platiunum Muller.

Re the RO: the reason that in some pics the gen screws look yellow is that the white gold screws are not plated w/ rhodium and as such have a yellowish tint. To my knowledge there is no 18k white gold colored plating, but rhodium is at least whiter and reflects much more light than the brass or whatever the rep uses. Not perfect by any means but if it can be done cheaply enough a definite improvemenr, IMO.

Has anyone heard of any PVD plating being done in an actual white gold color? know they do rose gold.