When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Button Down or what?

valerian

OK guys, let's get the gentlemen's lounge going! :bounce:

Here's something I have been discussing with collegues latley:

What do you make of button down shirts?

13V0031_colors_stack.jpg

Do you think it's THE all American classic made famous by Brooks Brs. and Ralph Lauren? Or do you consider them out of fashion, too orderly and rather boring? Do you think they can be worn with a tie or are they strict casual look?

Kind regards

Val.

I typically wear my button down shirts casually, though I am very particular regarding fit. I like them very fitted through the chest/abdomen, and no longer than 29". I usually wear them with the top button undone, sleeves quarter rolled and paired with some Diesel jeans and my Frye boots.

Most everything I have goes through my tailor first...

In the US at least, I still think Button Downs work although I agree with Ubi and reserve mine, mostly for dressed down attire with jeans. I have always preferred the english tab collar on my dress shirts or the hidden button underneath the collar.

Hate them.. I hate too small collars as well :D. I am a sucker for shirts with huge collars :). I have the pleasure of owning one D&G shirt, huge collar and I love it :).

However I guess American people have a different view on the matter, button-down seems to be rather common.

Buttoned down shirts i tend to wear with casual attire / business casual attire more or less...

When tie is needed i go for that English wide but short collar with double Windsor knot.

PS. i already love this section, great addition... keep it coming guys.

Laz

Not a fan of button downs. But it is not the collar I am focused on. It is the cuffs. If a cuff isn't big enough for my Panerai or ROO to peak out suggestively (rather than sitting on top)I have no interest. Remember it is all about the watch. :lol:

Kruzer: Roll 'em up, the sleeves, I say! :D

I do wear Brooks Brs. button down shirts but only with jeans or khaki trousers and sailing shoes or Red Wing classic hunter boots. I think they look lame with ties.

I DO like button under with ties, though.

Val.

I suspect you don't feel that way with cufflinks. ;)

No, not at all, you're right. I love cufflinks; love when the watch appears under them casually. Ooooh.

But button down shirts are best served with rolled up sleeves, I think.

just my two cents.

Val.

I've only got 1 button down shirt left, and like my pleated pants, have shed most of those in the last few years. I think they are currently out of step with today. Speaking of pants, I still like cuffs on them as I personally feel they are more finished looking, however there is another camp that says flat front should have no cuffs. But this argument should go in another thread so sorry for getting off topic.

Another for the cultural divide methinks.....

Button-down collars? :nea:

A horrible American affectation that Brooks adopted after seeing the design being worn by English polo players where they were practical - stopped their collars flapping about in the saddle.

Very much frowned upon this side of the Pond in anything but the most casual of occasions. And only then if you're a port-loving management consultant whose horsey-looking wife has bought you one to match your boat shoes/loafers and chinos for "dress down" Fridays in the office. Wear one with a tie and suit, and it's pretty much career suicide. And rightly so.

Another for the cultural divide methinks.....

Button-down collars? :nea:

A horrible American affectation that Brooks adopted after seeing the design being worn by English polo players where they were practical - stopped their collars flapping about in the saddle.

Very much frowned upon this side of the Pond in anything but the most casual of occasions. And only then if you're a port-loving management consultant whose horsey-looking wife has bought you one to match your boat shoes/loafers and chinos for "dress down" Fridays in the office. Wear one with a tie and suit, and it's pretty much career suicide. And rightly so.

Agreed Doc, the only shirt shirts I have in my wardrobe these days are french cuff, and you just don't do button with those. And even rolling the sleeves up is easier on those I find.

Hey guys,

Just my opinion but the button down collar looks very 1990 to me. Oxford style Ralph Laurenish. However, I really hate when my collar flairs out because its not held down. The look of a crisp collar is key. Ubi's collar in the photo is how shirts usually start out, but give it a few hours and they spread. Not crisp enough. Therefor I always try and find the ones with the button underneath. These are rare.

So...I buy these...

http://www.wurkinstiffs.com/default.aspx

Yes they work. Sometimes, my evenings get a little rough (mosh pit etc), and you can lose the magnets but for the most part, they're great.

Ubi's collar in the photo is how shirts usually start out, but give it a few hours and they spread. Not crisp enough.

I had been wearing mine all day; actually probably my 2nd wearing since washing :) I try to keep wearings/washings down to a minimum to try and preserve color and shape as much as possible...