When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Another New Arrival

ammandel

Okay well, not much interest or this new forum format is making people miss threads (I know I havn't gotten used to it yet!!) maybe I should explain.

I thought I'd post this up as an unassuming 'new arrival' ;) and see if anyone 'calls me out' on it.. in the reverse kinda way :D

Many of you know I've been hunting for my first gen for about 7 months or so now. Obsessing about it pretty much every day!

My 21st birthday was last week (the 25th) and on the same day an ad for the GMT came up, saw it as a sign to finally make my move on it and collected it today. It's a bizarre feeling for me wanting something for so long, the GMT IIc was always my 'grail' and yet the huge cost always made me look for alternatives like Submariners and Explorer II's leaving me wondering whether it was worth getting anything other than my grail.

Today was a great day as I finally went and picked it up, I'm almost paranoid about wearing it out of the house though!

3769156045_944af35d57_b.jpg

It is extremely difficult to photograph, but I'll try to do it justice and take some more over the next couple of days!

Okay well, not much interest or this new forum format is making people miss threads (I know I havn't gotten used to it yet!!) maybe I should explain.

I thought I'd post this up as an unassuming 'new arrival' ;) and see if anyone 'calls me out' on it.. in the reverse kinda way :D

Many of you know I've been hunting for my first gen for about 7 months or so now. Obsessing about it pretty much every day!

My 21st birthday was last week (the 25th) and on the same day an ad for the GMT came up, saw it as a sign to finally make my move on it and collected it today. It's a bizarre feeling for me wanting something for so long, the GMT IIc was always my 'grail' and yet the huge cost always made me look for alternatives like Submariners and Explorer II's leaving me wondering whether it was worth getting anything other than my grail.

Today was a great day as I finally went and picked it up, I'm almost paranoid about wearing it out of the house though!

3769156045_944af35d57_b.jpg

It is extremely difficult to photograph, but I'll try to do it justice and take some more over the next couple of days!

So...is this the Correct Hand Stack version? :-) Congrats on the purchase!

Congratulations on the best overall Rolex out there. Funny, I have 2 gen submariners and a daytona, and the only thing that gets wrist time is my GMT IIc REP. It's not a "new watch" thing either because I've had the GMT rep since it first came out. It's interesting to me that with such a good copy available, so many rep owners are buying the gen. Then again, if the rep had a decent movement...

jnkay, great to hear your observations as yes - there is quite a few of us RWG'ers with a Gen GMT IIc now indeed..

For me, I wanted a Rolex with something extra, an extra complication that couldnt really be replicated in the same way. I think as a replica collector the appeal to have a gen with an extra 'edge' is definately more prominent as you know which gens are 'close' and which arent. I know that apart from the solid Rolex movement, the differences between a WM9v2 sub and a gen are minimal, really. Apart from of course, a gen is a gen.. (and those annoying SEL gaps)

The movement in the GMT IIc is really awesome, I love the fact that it is so well built that you can cycle not only forwards through dates but also the date change mechanism engages to flip the date backwards as you cycle through also.

The 'real' ceramic bezel with the platinum numerals is really something you appreciate with alot of observation, at times it looks white/off white and in the sun you can see an almost silver shine from the bezel numbers. Lets be honest, the rep of the ceramic bezel is just something thats not gonna come close in appearance with the difference of materials. For something like a sub, its a metal insert on the gen, and a metal insert on the rep.. same concept.

Maybe these things seem like small details but in essense our whole hobby is about detail.

By-Tor tries to tell people that theres no 'real' zen or 'superior' feeling about the gens when people hype the genuine article as if they are universes apart and I'm not about to turn into a 'Gens only for me guys!' person, I recognise very clearly the similarities and differences between gens and reps, and essentially they are both stainless steel watches, less accurate than a Casio.

I did a couple of things that added to my experience for the GMT2 & first gen, and that was to not buy or have any experience with the rep.

I think sometimes owning a close rep could ruin the 'new watch' feeling and I didn't want to ruin that experience, it'd be like how I imagine it'd feel if i bought a gen yellow seawolf, the rep is so close I doubt it'd feel that new and novel to me. That would be like buying the gen for the sake of it..

The other thing was I don't own any watches that have been superlumed by modders etc, yet I happen to consider lume one of the most fascinating and one of my favourite aspects of watches. I purposely saved this 'superlume' experience for my gen, as I knew it'd add to the experience also.

As you can tell, I'd thought this all through alot in advance! I do think the way I did things really paid off in the end, I really, honestly, couldn't be more satisfied with my first gen. :)

Nice. I had one as well as you know. Great piece. A big step for Rolex fit and finish in the sports watch line. I got rid of mine because it was a GMT and I wanted to keep my category overlap tight. As soon as the Submariner Date version of this same watch hits next year I'll be getting one for sure. Congrats man, you deserve it.

jnkay, great to hear your observations as yes - there is quite a few of us RWG'ers with a Gen GMT IIc now indeed..

For me, I wanted a Rolex with something extra, an extra complication that couldnt really be replicated in the same way. I think as a replica collector the appeal to have a gen with an extra 'edge' is definately more prominent as you know which gens are 'close' and which arent. I know that apart from the solid Rolex movement, the differences between a WM9v2 sub and a gen are minimal, really. Apart from of course, a gen is a gen.. (and those annoying SEL gaps)

The movement in the GMT IIc is really awesome, I love the fact that it is so well built that you can cycle not only forwards through dates but also the date change mechanism engages to flip the date backwards as you cycle through also.

The 'real' ceramic bezel with the platinum numerals is really something you appreciate with alot of observation, at times it looks white/off white and in the sun you can see an almost silver shine from the bezel numbers. Lets be honest, the rep of the ceramic bezel is just something thats not gonna come close in appearance with the difference of materials. For something like a sub, its a metal insert on the gen, and a metal insert on the rep.. same concept.

Maybe these things seem like small details but in essense our whole hobby is about detail.

By-Tor tries to tell people that theres no 'real' zen or 'superior' feeling about the gens when people hype the genuine article as if they are universes apart and I'm not about to turn into a 'Gens only for me guys!' person, I recognise very clearly the similarities and differences between gens and reps, and essentially they are both stainless steel watches, less accurate than a Casio.

I did a couple of things that added to my experience for the GMT2 & first gen, and that was to not buy or have any experience with the rep.

I think sometimes owning a close rep could ruin the 'new watch' feeling and I didn't want to ruin that experience, it'd be like how I imagine it'd feel if i bought a gen yellow seawolf, the rep is so close I doubt it'd feel that new and novel to me. That would be like buying the gen for the sake of it..

The other thing was I don't own any watches that have been superlumed by modders etc, yet I happen to consider lume one of the most fascinating and one of my favourite aspects of watches. I purposely saved this 'superlume' experience for my gen, as I knew it'd add to the experience also.

As you can tell, I'd thought this all through alot in advance! I do think the way I did things really paid off in the end, I really, honestly, couldn't be more satisfied with my first gen. :)

Excellent post. Congratulations on getting your Gen AND Grail watch. Wear it well and long and in good health.

As far as there not being much difference between gens and reps. I have owned gens which have been sold due to financial troubles, and I own reps even now. There IS a big difference between a rep and a gen. That is build quality, and inherent value. NO rep, no matter how well its made, will even compare to a gen of the same. You simply cant produce the same quality for THAT much less money. Second Rolex more than others has an inherent and REAL value out in the world. A rep will always be a rep and worth nothing outside of our rep circles and forums. As much as I love some of them, that is just a cold hard fact.

A gen has the biggest difference where it counts, in our minds, while wearing it out and about. We will always KNOW its a rep and not a gen, and others might too.

I was never made with any rep. I dont go out of my way to show off what watch Im wearing. I wore a gen Pan for a while and not ONE person EVER noticed it, EVER. This is Florida im in short sleeves 90% of my time no less. The Rolex, well everyone notices them it seems. I love Pan's just as much as Rolex's mind you.

When I needed money badly and was out of work, I sold my gens in a day or less. For fair prices and fast. Yes you can sell a rep on here in a day, but it will never be the same. As someone once said. I view my gen watch on my wrist as my last "insurance" policy in life. Things can and WILL happen, if all else fails I can get a few grand for the watch on my wrist. To me the pride of ownership and inherent value in a gen make it worth one million times more than a rep to ME.

• 2 weeks later...