When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Schumacher replaces Massa

andreww

Yeah, Just reading that!

Whilst I was never a great fan of his (read: perceived arrogance)I can only hope he is still at the top of his game.

It would be a pity to see this once great driver return and be an also ran.

He is coming back to a lower performing car, after a long time away,so one hopes he can still hack it with the best.

Offshore

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

very excited for this the Schuminator is back! Apparently he is undergoing a special training regime, for G forces etc which he wont have had for a few years. But in terms of physical fitness I reckon he is ready for the cockpit!

Schumacher against Hamilton, Vettel, Button, Webber oh gawd its gonna be bliss! Hopefully the ferrari can still improve so we can see some genuine racing between these lot!

I honestly feel that every once in a while there comes a driver who's abilities are far above anybody else's. Senna was one, and Schumie is another. F1 is a tough sport to gauge driver talent, because the winners generally have the best equipment. The true great, like Schumacher are able to win with second rate equipment. Jordan was a bottom tier team when Shumie stepped in and masterfully qualified it at the front of the grid. Benneton could do no better than inherit the odd race win until Schumie came on board and took them to two world championships. And Ferrari had a long history of not winning before Schumie won them an incredible five titles. This guy's skill level was just so far above everybody else's that he could do no wrong.

How will he do in Spain with no testing and a three year absence? I think that Michael has always been a fitness buff and is probably in top notch shape. His talent is natural, so I don't think his driving abilities will have diminished much. What I worry about is that at 40 years old, his reflexes may have slowed. But, Spain will likely be the most long awaited GP in recent history because love him or hate him, Shumacher brings excitement.

Theres probably another reason to get Schumacher behind the wheel as well, He was always the master of car setup, and could achieve miracles bringing an underperforming car up to speed via the quality of the feedback he could give the engineers.

With the testing ban Ferrari can't just drop him into the car for some laps, but this gives them and him a perfect opportunity to drive the car properly on track. Regardless of how he performs at Valencia I think we can expect some big improvements to the Ferrari car to result from this.

You hit the nail on the head there mate. I think that is what sets Senna and Schumie so far above the rest, their ability to translate what they are feeling in the car to their engineers. Schumie had so much input in to the development of his cars that you could say they were specifically built for his driving style. I wonder if the current ferrari will suit him quite as well?

It is very true that Schumi in the car is going to give the team invaluable data for improving the car this year and for next when the regulations I believe are the same except no refueling during the race.

As Andreww said Ferrari were not actually a top top team when Schumi went to them he has always been a great driver but an even greater resource in giving feedback or how a car is handling.

Back in the day of Karts he used to be Ralfs mechanic so he has a great understanding of actually how the cars work which allows him to give this great feedback. Once again :D :D :D cant wait to see him back.

Hopefully Massa will recover fully and make it back for next season, it would be nice if we can see Schumi in the last 7 races to allow him to get to grips and then see him unleash hell at tracks like Monza and Spa.

I think Button should be pooing in his pants now Lewis as the Red Bulls are gonna be on fire, and my shout for the title is Webber.

Valencia is going to be awesome! I can't wait, i'm so giddy at the prospect of seeing Schumi v Kimi v Alonso v Hamilton v Button v Vettel v Webber. Especially Kimi vs MS in equal equipment!

I think this will just add to the Schumacher legend, especially if he wins. And i dont think that's out of the question, either. The F60 has made some significant development strides, and can now punch with the Brawns and Redbulls (and McLarens, apparently). And with The Schu in that seat....?

When is Valencia, again?! A month?! Nooo! :Jumpy:

Valencia is going to be awesome! I can't wait, i'm so giddy at the prospect of seeing Schumi v Kimi v Alonso v Hamilton v Button v Vettel v Webber. Especially Kimi vs MS in equal equipment!

I think this will just add to the Schumacher legend, especially if he wins. And i dont think that's out of the question, either. The F60 has made some significant development strides, and can now punch with the Brawns and Redbulls (and McLarens, apparently). And with The Schu in that seat....?

When is Valencia, again?! A month?! Nooo! :Jumpy:

I share the exact same feeling, the idea keeps randomly cropping up in my head during the day and I just think OMG he is back soooo excited lol lets hope its not an anti climax :p come on the stig! :p

..just some of his records also God Damn I forgot just how much stuff he actually won lol

http://www.itv-f1.com/Feature.aspx?Type=General&id=46521

I really feel that Schumie has a great chance at doing well in Spain. The Ferrari just finished 2nd in the hands of an uninspired Kimi, I have no doubt that Michael can do better. As for Button, the Ferrari/McLaren reemergence is a good thing. From What I can see, Brawn's head start is over and they will be relegated to the middle of the pack (which means no points) for the rest of the season. Webber Is the only driver with a reasonable chance at catching him, but if Schumie & Hamilton are back, its going to be difficult to do two points at a time. Should be a great end to the season, whatever happens.

For torrents, the best site around is https://www.racing-underground.com/ F1 torrents are usually up practically before the champagne dries, and from all the various feeds around the world (BBC, SPEED, Spain, etc). I've lived with the pain that is no SPEED Channel, its not fun. :black_eye:

Is it too early to predict 'Schu for the '09 WDC? :Jumpy::1a:

I hope Shui isn't tempting fate here. He retired intact and that was proberly an achivment so lets hope this does not turn out to be a tragic move on his part.

It's sorta like volenteering for a second tour of 'Nam. F1 is just sooooo dangerous. The man can drive tho, that's for shure and it's in his blood. There is no way he would have said no!

Col.

For torrents, the best site around is https://www.racing-underground.com/ F1 torrents are usually up practically before the champagne dries, and from all the various feeds around the world (BBC, SPEED, Spain, etc). I've lived with the pain that is no SPEED Channel, its not fun. :black_eye:

Is it too early to predict 'Schu for the '09 WDC? :Jumpy::1a:

I think technically if he won all 7 races and button crashed out of all of them then Schumi could take the title...lol but that aint gonna happen. He was testing today at Mugello in the 2007 Ferrari http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?id=46528

I hate it when past champions of any sport come back and water down their legacy. Recent examples include Lance Armstrong, Bret Faurve,etc. The best example is Michael Jordon - retires after getting a 3 pointer in overtime to win a championship (not a "world" championship as they call it as the rest of the world was not invited)and then comes back to play for a so/so team and looks bad. Keep the legacy and walk away (maintain the revenue from the on-going souveniors sales!!).

TimeShare

Usually i would agree with you. Farve made a stupid move and certainly tarnished his legendary status a little, but Lance Armstrong had a mighty fine comeback...and is coming back in 2010 from what i understand!

Schumacher is a different story, however. The guy is simply the most complete driver in history, there has never been a more dedicated racing driver. IMO, he retired about 3 years too early, and could have still fought for the WDC into his forties. He's still probably fitter than most of the field, and there's no question to his dedication, even with 7 titles in his back pocket. I think the reason that 'schu retired in '06 was because he wanted to go out on the top of his game, so i'm sure this is a highly calculated move in returning to the cockpit (not to mention hes a good friend of Massa's).

He is absolutely a threat to win in Valencia. :thumbsupsmileyanim: