When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to clean a crystal before it goes on?

gplracer

Canned air/dust eliminator--available at any office-supply or computer store.

Always, without fail.

I have to disagree somewhat. Compressed air removes most dust/debris, but air alone will not remove oil, smudges, fingerprints or dislodge small particles that adhere to the lens due to static electricity. This crystal was cleaned with compressed air only

dustfree0021.jpg

To get the crystal really clean, I use Windex & a Viva paper towel (mostly lint-free) for an initial clean. This is followed by a good dousing of compressed air (both sides). Then, I make a close visual inspection as in the pic above. Any bits remaining on the lens must be removed manually with either a clean piece of Rodico or tweezers. Then, unless you are going to reassemble immediately (recommended), place the case/crystal under cover (an upside-down wine glass works well) until you are ready to reassemble.

I'd suggest a photographer's anti-static negative brush. But I've never cleaned one so it is only a suggestion. We used these to eliminate dust on the negatives prior to enlargement. (Dust is an even bigger problem in photography than it is for watches.)

Edited by Packard

I have tried many differnt methods as well. Dust free on the crystal is really hard to achieve, plexi is even worst where static force will build up when you do the cleaning.

What I will do nowadays is first use a sheep skin to clean up all the dirts and grease, follow by lint-free len paper and finally with the compressed air immediately before assembling. Also don't forget the dial is dust free as well otherwise you will be just transferring the dust to the backside of the supposingly cleaned crystal.

This has always plagued me. I, for the life of me, cannot install a watch back together simply because I magically get fingerprints or dust on the crystal. Many attempts with the dust blower and windex and it still gets in there! It's the most annoying thing to putting watches back together, after those tiny movement mount screws.

This has always plagued me. I, for the life of me, cannot install a watch back together simply because I magically get fingerprints or dust on the crystal. Many attempts with the dust blower and windex and it still gets in there! It's the most annoying thing to putting watches back together, after those tiny movement mount screws.

You should never touch internal watch parts with your bare hands. Aside from the aesthetic concerns, the oils in your skin will eventually cause parts to rust. Instead, wear either latex/rubber gloves or finger cots

cots.jpg

I need to change the topic to how to get scratches out of a new gen crystal. I have three slight scratches. Would polywatch clear them up? Also the shoulders have some slight scratches where I took the bezel off. What is the best way to put the brush finish back on the shoulders.

When using canned air, be very careful as the checmicals from the compressed air can actually add a film to the surface if not careful.

As for removing scratches on the plexi- If they are on the exterior surface, just leave them be. You'll accumulate more scratches as time goes on no matter how careful you are. For vintage, these superficial imprfections only add to the character...

+1....... the stuff can leave a smudge on your crystal that you will have to clean with lenscleaner or white spirit...depends on what kind of coating is on your crystal.

When using canned air, be very careful as the checmicals from the compressed air can actually add a film to the surface if not careful.

As for removing scratches on the plexi- If they are on the exterior surface, just leave them be. You'll accumulate more scratches as time goes on no matter how careful you are. For vintage, these superficial imprfections only add to the character...

Yes, Polywatch should do the trick.

I use the stuff in the middle to return (both sides of) Plexiglas crystals (polishing sapphire requires equipment that few individuals have access to) to crystal clear (works great on car finishes, too)

meguiars0021.jpg

I used it to remove years of daily wear from the crystal I fitted to my 6536/1

0521.jpg

But, as Ubi said, wearing your watch will result in the return of more scratches no matter how careful you are.

Well................ I am finally done with the bezel. The first time is the most tedious. I filed the bezel and it was too tight so then I filed it again and it still too tight. Then I filed it again and it went on almost all the way. The first three times not only was the bezel too tight but it was really hard to get back off! The last time with short round with the dremel the bezel slid on 1/2 of the way. Then a slight squeeze with the case press and it was on the rest of the way. Now the bezel is tight enough that it cannot be pulled off but it also can be wedged off without too much effort. I expect that is the way it is supposed to fit. The problem was it did not come that way at all. I guess that is to be expected when working with reps. I will say that changing the crystal should not be a problem in the future now. Thanks every one who posted and sent me a pm. I really appreciate your help.