When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Breitling Seawolf Dial

ubiquitous

Well, my genuine dial arrived today. Interesting. First impressions- The dial *seems* darker than the one on the watch. That might be an artifact of the crystal perhaps, as in certain angles in certain lighting, both dials have the same color. The second thing I noticed- The minute chapter/track ring is significantly smaller on the genuine. I should be able to remove the one on the gen and reuse the rep ring, though I won't know until I have the movement/dial out. Which segues me into the next point. How on earth do I get this movement out? It appears there is a large movement ring/spacer inside the case- I am unsure how to extract without damaging. This is new territory for me, so if anyone has some experience here, I'd appreciate it.

Anyhow... Some pics to get started with...

104704-25369.jpg

104704-25370.jpg

104704-25371.jpg

See what I mean about the movement ring? I was quite amused to see such a little movement in such a big case...

104704-25372.jpg

ETA 2824

104704-25373.jpg

And, here's something else I found of interest- Note that tab there on the outside of the ring. That's te He Valve.

104704-25374.jpg

If I press it in... You can see the stem extend :)

104704-25375.jpg

Neat-O!

Anyways... Don't mind the scratches on the dial face. If I'm able to get everything apart and confirm that the dial color is an okay match for the minute track, I'll fix those :)

Well... I'm at a standstill until I can confirm how to get that ring out...

For now... Thanks for looking.

Best,

R

I should be able to remove the one on the gen and reuse the rep ring...

Interesting as you will do to make to be it firm? Glue or bi-adhesive?

Anyways... Don't mind the scratches on the dial face. If I'm able to get everything apart and confirm that the dial color is an okay match for the minute track, I'll fix those :)

Is possible to fix the scratches on the dial ? I have a small problem with a white dial.... :(

Edited by MAHLER

Interesting as you will do to make to be it firm? Glue or bi-adhesive?

Is possible to fix the scratches on the dial ? I have a small problem with a white dial.... :(

Not sure yet, Mahler.... I'll know better when (if) I have it all apart. As for dial scratches... Yes, I can fix them. Shouldn't be a big problem :)

What you need Randy is a movement extraction tool, much like mine here....

104716-25367.jpg

Ken :D

Ken-

Already tried those tools! And they still didn't work! :blink:

Hi Randy,

does the gen dial fit into the case butter soft? As seen on my finished Franken-Avenger the gen chronograph dial does so.

I have got two complete seawolf dials in stock (black and blue which is truly wonderful). Both will be swapped in the next future. But I didn't buy a seawolf yet due to this: There is a He valve on the left case side. When you disassembled your watch: Did you figure out if that valve is working? What's about water resistance? I want to build up a reliable and truly water resist watch because there is a lot of water at the south african cost :whistling::D Therefore I will need that truly important information. Maybe you or anonther member knows if the Omega PL Big Size is the same construction?

Thanks for informing me. You can take a look on my recently finished Ti Avenger project here.

Best,

Frank

Edited by shultz

That's an excellent Chrono Avenger, Frank! Very well done... The genuine dial and hands are a huge improvement!

As for mine... I'm still unsure how to proceed with getting that ring out. Until I figure it out, I've put everything back together, and left it all as-is. I almost suspect that the movement and dial will need to come out the front. Not 100% certain about this... But that ring is most certainly not budging.

With regards to the He Valve- I am not sure if it is 100% functional or not. I'm able to push the valve in, and as my pics above show, when the valve is pressed in, you can see the stem hit the spring. I am not certain how this impacts water resistance; I'll have to get it tested (most likely when the dial is done and everything is sealed back up).

Anyhow... I'll update if/when I figure anything out. Surely, the assembly has to come out somehow.

Cheers,

Randy

Damn... That ring is not coming out.

Sooooo... For now, I went ahead and removed the minute track ring, and worked on some of those scratches. There's a pretty bad one that I couldn't fix. For the most part, not bad...

105104-25281.jpg

:Jumpy: wow .... stupendous work !!!

Please Ubiquitous :unsure: explains me as the scratches I can be removed?

Hmmm... Fixing scratches on dials... :)

It's really quite an easy fix. Simply spray the dial with clear laquer or varnish. If your dial is matte, use a matte finish spray. If it's gloss... Use gloss :) In some situations where you want a little bit of sheen, you can use satin. The spray conceals the scratches, and gives a nice, even finish without blurring or hazing the existing font.

Hope this helps...

R

@ kruzer00

Hi,

removing the mvt. of the chrono Avenger isn't that difficult because the mvt. holder ring is different to the Seawolf which is much more solid. I could finish my Avenger chrono project without any problems because the holder is just a simple 7750 fitting item :whistling: . All parts did fit butter soft, even the height of the inner tachy ring was the same as on the rep.

@ Randy

Refering to the rep dial's rehaut which is different to the gen:

There is a bigger height of the rehaut of the Seawolf rep which depends on the thickness of the sapphire crystal. The gen watch has a very thick sapphire crystal and a smaller height of the rehaut. I found a report about that watch in an old watch magazine yesterday and could see that the gen crystal is 5mm (!) thick. Don't forget that watch was constructed as a diver's tool watch. To fitting the thick crystal it has a tachy ring/ rehaut which isn't that high as on the rep. The rehaut of the rep dial is higher as the gen to fit the thinner crystal without a gap. Of course the rep's crystal isn't 5mm thick.

So I am afraid you will see a gap between the crystal and rehaut after putting the gen dial into the rep's case... Okay you can solve that problem by swapping the rehaut: Glueing the rep rehaut onto the gen dial.

Refering to the He valve. I think there are two solutions:

1) Sealing that "valve" with an o-ring and grease. But I am afraid that will not be a 100% solution.

2) Soldering the "valve" from the inside. Nobody will note from the outside and I am sure that will be 100% water resist.

Best,

Frank

Edited by shultz