When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Getting The Vintage Beat Right

ubiquitous

The title says it all. I downshifted the beat of my MBW to a frequency

closer to that of a vintage 1570. Some videos to capture the sweep

seconds;

289-8220.jpg

(3.5M)

And one to compare against a 28.800bph ETA 2836-2:

289-8221.jpg

(4.6M)

(click the images for the videos)

The new movement is 100% Swiss. More info to come soon; I want to monitor long term performance a bit before revealing further details on the type of movement used.

Cheers,

Randy

I want to monitor long term performance a bit before revealing further details on the type of movement used.

We don't want anyone to get hurt.....I remember my watchmaker telling me what kind of movement lots of folks use on the old rolexes once in one of his rants about vintage rolex reps (he's passionate about genuine vintage rollies but is still pretty rep friendly). A.S. I think...I'll check.

Edited by archibald

I've been watching and monitoring performance now for about a month, and the new movement has been running like clockwork (pun intended). The time keeping has been a little fast, but within the past week or so seems to be slowing up a bit to become a little more consistent. I haven't really played with dial up/down/left/right positions overnight to try to correct time gain/loss, but I'm sure with some experimenting, I could get the correction needed for even better time keeping.

Anyhow... Before I move on to the specifics of the details, anyone care to take a guess as to what kind of movement is taking up residence in my MBW? Here are a few pics to give you guys some clues.

4636-6523.jpg

4636-6524.jpg

Very good eyes, bazz! It is indeed a 2846! And, it's a perfect fit as it's physically identical to a 2836-2; 11.5L x 5.05, 90/150/25 hand stack, and it even uses the same stem. Beat is 21600bph (6 ticks per second, vs. the 5.5 ticks per second for 19800), and the movement is non-hacking. This one worked so well that I picked up two more for some other projects :)

• 5 months later...
Oooh! Good stuff! You can take your 5517 a step further with some Yao MOD sword hands... A bit better in shape and size for the Mili ;)

Serious? Are they closer in size to the gen? What about thecolor variation?

Since I knocked out the pins and now have Gen springbars, I was thinking of just modding the CG's and converting this sub into a 5512 or 5513.

Thoughts....

Serious? Are they closer in size to the gen? What about thecolor variation?

Since I knocked out the pins and now have Gen springbars, I was thinking of just modding the CG's and converting this sub into a 5512 or 5513.

Thoughts....

Indeed. The Yao MOD hands are very nice... Hour and min hand are much nicer, wider, and better shape. Seconds hand, however is still slightly wrong.

However, modding this to a 5512 would be rather interesting as well! Throw on a nice T-19, insert, dial and hands, and you're set :)

Always looking for Perfection, Nice Job UBI.

Does anybody know is Ofrei have this movements for sale.

thanks

The pursuit of perfection... Or as close to as possible... It's what keeps me going :lol:

You may want to check around with Frei, Borel, etc. ;)

awsome ! now thats theral work !! :3a: you da man UBI :victory:

As always, thanks Big E!!

^_^

• 11 months later...

I was wondering if you guys know of anyone, either a member, vendor, watchmaker (YOU) etc.. who has modified a double red or seadweller or any of the vintage rolex sport watches to look nearly indistinguishable and would like to sell it. The rivoted bracelet is awesome and the mods made make some of these replicas look suburb. Maybe you guys know where I can get my hands on a replica that has been heavily modified to look genuine. If you can help me out it would be much appreciated. Most of the articles i have red claim that no vendors have them looking "right" but after modification they are pretty spot on so, if someone is tired of their modded Rolex or knows of someone who wants to get paid for a project, feel free to PM or reply.