When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Everyday Carry (EDC) check

P4GTR

Excuse my ignorance but why does ANYONE need to carry a knife ?????

Oh, you know. Open the occasional letter. Rid a garment of clothing of a rampant thread.

Nothing ignorant about asking. If your seriously interested, possibly consider starting another thread since its such a controversial question. =@

Hey Sixx - Thanks for the warning about the 1/2 handled knife. :thumbsupsmileyanim: The knife actually is designed with only 1/2 a handle - I like it because of the thinner size (due to the 1/2 handle). For safety reasons, they make the blade so it locks closed so it doesn't open, and they only sharpen 1 side of the bade. That way when it's closed the sharpened piece of the blade sits directly against the handle, making it have a blunt edge until you open the knife back up...family jewels are nicely protected :good:

As for why I carry a knife, I do a lot of shipping/receiving in the office and I can never find the office's box cutter. And it's a lot easier and more useful to carry a pocket knife than a box cutter, and like P4TGR said, opening the "occasional letter. Rid a garment of clothing of a rampant thread."

• 3 months later...

Felt like bumping this, and to answer your question Vly,

Can you tell us more about this one: Carbon Fiber Military in BG-42 steel?

there were 3 sprint/limited runs of the Spyderco Military model version, which is arguably one of the greatest pocket knives ever made. These sprint run versions replaced the normal G10 handles with ply peel carbon fiber and used three different "boutique" high end steel choices, a different one for each run.

DSCF0003.jpg

reNihonMil2.jpg

2005, 400pcs were made with Crucible's CPM-S30V steel, a martensitic powder made steel which promotes a strong blade with a maintainable edge due to the Vanadium carbides. $259.95 buys you this nice Spydee.

reDSC00597.jpg

2006, they switch to Latrobe's BG42 steel alloy. The steel was designed for use on critical aerospace structural components and high performance bearings but in sheet form proves to be an excellent blade steel. The run is increased to 1500 pieces, and the price is increased to 279.95. This is the version I have.

DSC_1721.jpg

2008, they pump out a (up to now) final sprint run of 1000 pcs in CPM-S90V steel, at $319.95 a pop. S90V has incredible wear and corrosion resistance. With wear resistance though, the edge becomes more difficult to sharpen.

MillyS90v.jpg

Milly_D2c.jpg

The Spyderco Bob Lum folding tanto is still my favorite knife of all time though.

DSC00633.jpg

I use a clip on multi tool in work as all the tools go missing, just ordered a new box opener with built in clip tho :-

Gerber Mini Covert Black Teflon Blade Combo Edge

As long as you are respectful of the law in the u.k. you can use a knife, mine stays on work premises and is less than three inches. It looks cool you got to admit :)

Just about ready to be my EDC. Still need slide to be beveled, skeletonized trigger, hammer and my unique serrations put in. Going to try to finished it up this weekend or next.

You gonna address the lack of sights lol?

I am in the process of building one right now. Are you doing the serrations yourself??

You gonna address the lack of sights lol?

I am in the process of building one right now. Are you doing the serrations yourself??

Sights are on the right side of the slide, gangasta style! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The pic was taken last weekend, I machined in the dove tails for the sights and gave the slide a flat top Wednesday night.

I am going to CNC my own serations in. :good:

I WISH I could get a gun.... In Norway they are impossible to get, and if you do there is a LOAD of papers you have to have, and no one is allowed to carry it on his/her person at ANY time...

And I really really want a Walther P99 :(

post-21269-125994260618_thumb.jpg

post-21269-125994253439_thumb.jpg

Guest techlogik

Love the mag. extension! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

You know what is interesting, I put the regular flush one back in. It is very comfortable and easy to handle without the extension.

Just gives you 2 extra bullets and a bit more comfort...I carry the other mag still, so I can reload...hope I never need to use it, and if so, I hope 6 does it and I don't need 8 more.

:bangin:

You know what is interesting, I put the regular flush one back in. It is very comfortable and easy to handle without the extension.

Just gives you 2 extra bullets and a bit more comfort...I carry the other mag still, so I can reload...hope I never need to use it, and if so, I hope 6 does it and I don't need 8 more.

:bangin:

Enough is never enough. :thumbsupsmileyanim: When I really feel I need it, I will carry my 1911 in .38 Super with dual stack mag. If I can not hit my target with 18 rounds....... :whistling:

Due to my bear paws for hands, I could never handle the compact for carry. Always had to go full frame.