When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to restore & maintain a brushed/satin finish.

gioarmani

Lol. These are the Sunshine cloths from Amazon, but I think their smell is more like laundry than food. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Pierce-This-2-Polishing-jewelry/dp/B0007OEZ9G/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&s=jewelry&qid=1251584787&sr=8-21

Thanks Gio i will try to find some in europe

Excellent post, thank you.

I use the same type of set up, with only one difference, I removed the cover around the buffing wheel.

Why?

Well when the part you are polishing grabs onto the wheel and pulls out of your hand, it can end up jammed between the cover and the spinning wheel, and cause a lot of damage before you can shut the unit down. With the cover removed the worse case is that a part gets pulled out of my hand and flings down or back. I have the area underneath and behind protected with a soft towel, no damage when it hits it...

Well done and detailed.

Excellent post, thank you.

I use the same type of set up, with only one difference, I removed the cover around the buffing wheel.

Why?

Well when the part you are polishing grabs onto the wheel and pulls out of your hand, it can end up jammed between the cover and the spinning wheel, and cause a lot of damage before you can shut the unit down. With the cover removed the worse case is that a part gets pulled out of my hand and flings down or back. I have the area underneath and behind protected with a soft towel, no damage when it hits it...

Well done and detailed.

Thank you.

Good call too; I'll try that approach.

Im really obsessive about my watchs and cars. If they are just a little bit dirty or unkempt It really bothers me. I had my whole rear fender repainted because of a small dent you could not see unless you were right on top of It, and even then It was very difficult to see. The guy at the body shop thought I was nuts. :g: Thanks so much for this fantasic tut, I will most defenetely give It a go, nice job :good: Mike

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

http://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/7/1118/1342.aspx

would any of these be recommended for rebrushing an omega bracelet and a rolex datejust?

if so which one would be best?

thanks

J

What is the difference between a 'finishing pad' and generic 'Scothbrite pads'?

I have read on gen forums that many owners are using Scotchbrite pads to re-store brushed finish on steel bracelets?

Are the two pads similar or are there big differences?

Cheers

This is a Scotch-Brite pad:

post-9488-12739610238_thumb.jpg

This is a refinishing pad:

post-9488-127396105705_thumb.jpg

As is this:

post-9488-127396107324_thumb.jpg

I've found the refinishing pads to give a higher quality finish than the scotchbrite scour pads. I believe it has to do with the consistent grain found on the refinishing blocks which results in a better looking grain and finish on the steel.

• 5 years later...