When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Going Franken

dbutlerman

Inspired by Ubiquitous' post about creating a 4th Gen 42mm Planet Ocean Franken, I decided to start my own project, albeit on a smaller and possibly slower scale. I acquired the PO about a month ago and was pretty happy with it, except for the horrible pearl alignment, so for a quick fix I bought an after-market insert, not perfect but it'll hold me over until the one I ordered from OF comes in. Here is the 1st pic, you'll notice the slight gap between the insert and the bezel near the 6 o'clock position:

dsc0002hmx.jpg

The next thing that started bugging me was the clasp. Main problem with it was the clasp was really hard to close, second, the clasp extension was really poorly made. It was bent and didn't close "flush". So I decided to get it fixed, the rest of the bracelet was decent, and I did not have an extra $600 sitting in my pocket to buy a genuine bracelet, so, I decided to buy the Genuine Omega 1580/952 clasp and clasp links, and it is awesome! Closes perfectly and operates much more smoothly! Here are the pics:

dsc0011m.jpg

dsc0013cym.jpg

dsc0015m.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I got another Bezel Insert, the black one was kinda bugging me and I am still waiting on my gen bezel & insert to show up, so I ordered an Orange Insert from the 'bay...I know that putting the Orange Insert makes it "technically" inaccurate and a fantasy model, but I wanted to see what it would look like, and, I kinda like it... :whistling: So...I am going to stick with it for a while...

DSC_0008-1.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

About a year or so ago I did the same - used an orange insert with the white numeral dial. I didnt stop there - i also added the green insert as well. I think it actually makes the watch a bit more sharper than your usual black inserts.

Wear it well.

Looking great. I am just about to send my PO 4th gen off to Wayward to finish the last of my mods. Wayward has been fantastic with the mods so far and I would highly recommend him if anyone requires some mods done.

Once I have HE Valve and Crown / Tube completed I will post a thread.

Work done so far :

All gen parts from Ofrei / Cousins

Dial

Hands

Bezel

Crystal

Good luck in the rest of you Fraken project , looking forward to seeing the progress :thumbsupsmileyanim::thumbsupsmileyanim:

Mercury -

Here was my process for getting it to fit:

1. Remove old bezel, and insert from bezel (be careful not to lose the spring and pin located at 12:00 in the case (almost lost mine the first time)

2. Check the fit of the insert to the crystal. The bezel insert fit too tight onto my crystal, it was really hard to rotate the insert once it was on the crystal, so I got out some 1000 grit sandpaper and sanded the inner circle of the insert until it would rotate easily around the crystal.

3. I used 2 part epoxy to glue the Insert to the Bezel (mine did not quite snap in as an original bezel and insert would). Once glued into position, I set the bezel and insert assembly onto a desk, then placed a glass ramekin (or small glass cup) and the insert and placed several heavy books on the ramekin while the epoxy dried.

4. After an hour or so, I put the bezel and insert onto the watch, vioala - perfect fit....

If there is a better way to do this, I am all ears, er...ummm...well, eyes since we're on a forum and all :)

• 1 month later...