When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

To Swiss or Not to Swiss..........................

hiker01

I know this Question have been discussed before, but I think it's about time to update this topic. I'm talking specifically about the REP ROLEX

movements! I believe we even have two camps here; SWISS......ASIAN! That's my quandary.....

Has there been any changes in these movements that would favor the so called Swiss? Or should I stay Asian with the confidence that the quality is about the same?

I'm looking at purchasing a GMT IIc WHS and the DSSD V5/Ultimate, but can't decide on the movement......I need some tips on which movement to go......

SWISS or ASIAN???

Experts.........please chime in!

Thanks in advance!!!

*Please do not get confused by my SIG below! I'm asking about the ETA/ASian 2836!!!

confused.. the rep "Rolex" movements.. but you have a Pam flyback..??

if your referring to the ETA 7750 (Swiss is not aplicable) as opposed to the A7750..

I do the swap if I come across a good deal for the ETA 7750 .. meaning I would not pay 700 + for a ETA 7750..

it is a great upgrade.. I have had A7750's serviced up North and they have given me no problems.. and are keeping great time.. I have had ETA 7750's swapped for my CD and Black Steel etc. .. and the difference in the feel of the gears etc. are noticeable..

it depends on how much I value the rep and affordability of the ETA..

L

Personally, I can't see any advantage in a Swiss movement, unless it is for something like the fit of a pair of hands...

The Swiss movement I had kept worse time than any of my Asian movements...

Swiss might be repairable, but, Asian is disposable and replaceable for less than Swiss repairs...

For me it depends on the watch, if the watch is a "great rep" like for example the Ingy or the DSSD I like to get the Swiss movement. Somehow the feel to it and the finish is a bit better then the clone versions. On the other hand if I order a watch wich is relatively new on the market I tend to opt for the clone version, with some new releases it's hard to say if it's going to be a keeper.

Personally, I like to use Swiss in all of my keeper watches, and when I can, I'll use original movements. Is one better than the other? Well... In some cases, yes- Especially when it comes to duplicating certain complications that the Asian variation just can't match (a la 7750 sec @ 6:00). But that's just one example.

When it comes to standard ETA date/time, I suppose there really aren't any major advantages to using Swiss over Asian, except that the price point is possibly a factor. You're saving about $60 or so by going Asian if you're buying the watch new. Or, you're saving $60 by buying the watch fitted with a Swiss ETA if you factor in what it would cost from a supply house like Ofrei. Personally, I do use Swiss ETA in my watches when I have them in surplus waiting to be consumed in my parts bin :) And I like knowing that I have a Swiss engine under the hood. Just a mental/OCD thing for me I think.

Is the watch going to be one that you plan on keeping for the long haul?

Personally, I like to use Swiss in all of my keeper watches, and when I can, I'll use original movements. Is one better than the other? Well... In some cases, yes- Especially when it comes to duplicating certain complications that the Asian variation just can't match (a la 7750 sec @ 6:00). But that's just one example.

When it comes to standard ETA date/time, I suppose there really aren't any major advantages to using Swiss over Asian, except that the price point is possibly a factor. You're saving about $60 or so by going Asian if you're buying the watch new. Or, you're saving $60 by buying the watch fitted with a Swiss ETA if you factor in what it would cost from a supply house like Ofrei. Personally, I do use Swiss ETA in my watches when I have them in surplus waiting to be consumed in my parts bin :) And I like knowing that I have a Swiss engine under the hood. Just a mental/OCD thing for me I think.

Is the watch going to be one that you plan on keeping for the long haul?

Hey R-!

Thanks! I'll be buying the GMT IIc and DSSD V5 soon and still debating wether to go with the Asian version or ETA. For some reason the qoute that I've read "buying a said Swiss ETA is a waste of money", seems to stick in my mind. I've tried to search that post here and RWI, but can't find it!

All of the Swiss 2836 on my older Rolexes have been fine till now, but I had bad experience on both the DSSD v2 and v3. I dunno, maybe I should stick with Swiss ETA!

F-

If you pay for Swiss, it would be nice if you got Swiss, but I would figure these days maybe you have a 50-50 chance of getting Swiss. Maybe less- especially from the cartel dealers like Josh and Andrew, etc. And I don't think the factories really care. Some dealers like Chris might still be true to their word. But you have to have on-site QC, drop shipping is an invitation to trouble.

As for the clones, hasn't Ziggy stopped working on them? Too hard to adjust. My watchmaker won't work on them- made my nephew go out and buy an old ETA and installed it instead. And the SSD from Silix was supposed to be Swiss! I just hope the quality of clones improves, but luckily I have quite a few old Swiss etas from watches I no longer wear. My preference is definitely Swiss for the long haul, but I still buy asian 21j's for beating around. I've even bought a couple of Miyota powered knock-offs lately- they're very nice, keep good time and are WR!