When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My first rep: Spin's DW 6263

auman20

If you click this posting, I am pretty sure you guys know what the Spin's DW 6263 is. I got one today from a member of RWG. He owned it just for a couple of weeks, so it was like new condition when arrived.

I was very excited when I got to know Spin's DW 6263. I thought it would be perfect for my first rep since I have read a lot positive comments about it here and also in RWI such as "perfection" or "best vintage 6263 for the money" and so on.

Well, I hate to say this, but I totally disagree.

First of all, the reason I am posting this is not to hurt his reputation. I just want to share my experience with you, so that eventually hope to see a better one available in the market soon.

Here is the first picture. BTW, I purchased the head only, so I have no idea about the bracelet. You need to click the pic to see a bigger one. Sorry about that. My first time so I do not know how to do it.

post-24859-125360503238_thumb.jpg

I am far away from the daytona expert, but the marks on the sub dials are so poor, especially @3 and @9. Here are a couple of close-ups.

post-24859-125360504605_thumb.jpg

Very poor marks on sub dial @9, for example. I circle a few among them. It can be easily seen even with bare eyes.

post-24859-1253605060_thumb.jpg

Another very poor mark. Wrong spacing. The number on @3 sub dials is much closer to the edge than the one @9.

Let me stop here. I guess you guys see my points. Again, this is very very biased short review. I just stress on a few negative things only, but I think those are very critical which can not be accepted, especially when we are talking about $600~$900 reps.

I would like to hear from the other Spin owners. "AM I the only unlucky guy?"

I know it sounds like I am whining, but the issues/questions I want to bring here are;

1) I am really curious if I am just unlucky to get a defective(?) item by chance?

2) If not, I am really sad because it could have been really awesome if the marks on the sub dials weer more accurate, and finally.

3) ya, whinging again. How could you call it "perfection" or "fantastic"? Even $100 Noobmariner has a very nice dial which is very close to 1:1. Why not for a vintage daytona at this price range?

Although I have never had one of these from Spin, I think I can safely make the following observations.

1. The dial printing on this rep is poor, the 9:00 subdial is even printed way off center. However, pictures this huge will tend to make these types of shortcomings appear way worse than they are. When you say you can see these problems with the naked eye, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and understand why you are dissapointed, the dial is what you look at the most typically.

2. These are made with the DW case kits that are more expensive than standard rep fare due to their better attention to detail in pusher spacing and case size.

3. Spin advertises these at $600, and while that is getting expensive for a rep, there is a lot of work put into these. Cleaning, modding, reassembly and timing/regulation of a chronograph movement is a lot of work. Combine this with proper sealing of the case and pressure testing and you get a good idea that $600 is not bad at all.

4. I don't know what you paid especially since you did not get the bracelet, but if you got it for anything less than the $600 Spin charges, I think you did real well. As for the dial, remember that Spin does not actually make the dial, but rather gets the movements and case kits, dial and hands as components, and starts from there.

Getting the gen of one of these is out of the reach of most since their price starts at about $40,000 and go North from there, so most of us do the best we can out of whats available. I can understand the dissapointment in the dial printing, why not try to contact Spin directly and see if he can source another dial, just an idea.

Cheers B)

SC68 sums it all perfectly. Nicely put and articulate. You get what you pay for.

Get a quote from YUKI for a 6263 and I guarantee that you'll be happy with the amt that you paid.

Alternatively, try building a 6263 from individual parts and get a watchmaker to assemble it or get a watch directly from DW himself and build it up to Spin's specs. See how much its gonna cost you.

Research mate... if the price was not right, the 6263s will not move. Simple law of supply and demand.

My 2 cents for what its worth...

Put simply - that dial sucks. If this came from DW, I would send it back (& I am sure DW would replace it without question).

Period.

Although not perfect, here is my modded (7750-powered) DW 6263

0011.jpg

Also, I believe Yuki has more accurate 6263 (black) bezels for these watches. The '110' on DW's (& most other aftermarket bezels) is spaced too far apart, but is correct on Yuki's (at least it appears that way in the pics on his website). I have a sample en route, which should arrive anytime & I will report back once I have it in hand. His price is fairly reasonable, too.

Yeah...I think the first few responses should ease up on Auman20. That dial sucks. When we on the forum are complaining about 2-3 lume dots on a Skyland not being centered and vendors are correcting this, sloppy, inconsistent hash marks going off the subdials on ALL the subdials is crap. That dial is not good.

I certainly wouldn't be happy with that. I just bought a Seagull manual wind 6263 that although lacking the concentric rings on the subdials, looks way better than that dial IMHO.

I was the original buyer from Spinmaster. I had sent him pictures of tmg's 6263 for reference so that spin could build me the same. I even requested that he take special care in selecting the parts he used for the build.

I don't have a loupe so detailed, close-up images were not an option for me. I represented the watch as honestly and as accurately as possible.

http://www.rwgforum.com/topic/104776-fs-dw-6263-from-spinmaster/page__p__723152__fromsearch__1&#entry723152

I have gone one step further and just contacted Spinmaster on auman20's behalf.

Could others chime in with advice?

Thank you

The watch looks fine to me.

All should keep in mind that any fake dial will be called out in an instant from someone who knows rolex. The watch is a rep, a fake, whatever you prefer to call it, but it certainly is a decent one for less than 1k.

For those who go on to the next step, buy a gen dial (at about 3 to 4k), or invest in a gen daytona @ 30k

That dial looks terrible. You are correct to say that $100 noobmariners have 1,000x better printing than that. I've purchased over 50 reps. Some with beautiful dial printing, and some worse than yours. I would not accept that dial at all. That really looks terrible, and you're not whining. If that was an original DW, then I would be a little more inquisitive on his QC standards

Ok, I just read vlydog's sales thread and noticed that this watch has a genuine tube, crown and T21 crystal upgrades. Considering that, what you paid is still real good. If everything is working correctly, then you got a damn nice Daytona there, but the dial still stinks. I would try and source a better dial for sure. Of course, if switching the dial is not a do-it-yourself project for you, you will need a competent watchsmith to do it for you which will be extra cost on you. I wish you well in getting this worked out to satisfaction.

Cheers B)

The dial sould be replaced. I have no doubt about it, but I will wait until I hear something from Spin. Hope he can do something. Meanwhile, if you have any good sources for the dial, please share withe me.

Again, thanks for your pictures and reponses.

I have not been in the rep scene for long but long enough to know that rep factories don't subscribe to cGMP school of thought. They have ver1, ver 2 ver 3 ultimate and very ultimate versions. DW parts are not an exclusion to this rule.

As factories come up with new versions, some parts get better, some parts get worse. So when do you pull the trigger to buy? The decision rests entirely on the buyer. Wait out for an improved version and risk missing the boat altogether or buy now and be done with it. When dealing with members, you ask for pictures and make a decision.

I know for a fact that DW current dials are improved from his earlier versions. What are we gonna do about it?

When the dealers release version 2 or version 3, do we expect the dealers to compensate the early birds with upgrades? FGD's latest dials are better than his earlier versions but we don't see the early birds clamouring for a replacement dial, now do we?

What's the difference here?

This is your first rep mate. You still have time to go full gen... so go get one.