When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Another Franken 42mm P.O. reaches completion

dbutlerman

Well if anybody has been following my posts about my 42mm P.O. you are already aware that I am in the process of building a Franken in the likes of Ubiquitous'. As it was my first adventure of this type, I was a little nervous...there are a lot of small parts...the large pictures that people take make this very deceiving...everything is soooo small...but...I am done (well at least for now)....and here are the results and a step through process of what I've done to date...

1. The original clasp was bugging me so I bought a genuine clasp and clasp attaching links..

dsc0011m.jpg

dsc0013cym.jpg

2. Next, I decided that it was time to get rid of the ugly pearl and bezel, I had a couple of "interim" bezels and pearls from ebay, but they didn't satisfy me, so, I went with the genuine article...

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

3. I was going to stop at the bezel, but after closer inspection of Ubi's I realized that the Dial, Date wheel, and Hands had to go as well...so...more genuine parts on the way...and here is how the process went...I made only one mistake...drinking a cup of coffee prior to starting...nothing quite like jittery hands to slow putting small parts together :Jumpy:

Let's get started...

Case opened

DSC_0016.jpg

Decased

DSC_0018.jpg

Hand's Off

DSC_0019-3.jpg

Dial Off (I was expecting two screws holding the dial pins, but instead found swinging levers that slid into the pins to tighten everything up)

DSC_0020.jpg

Date Wheel Off

DSC_0021.jpg

New Date Wheel installed

DSC_0022.jpg

Here come's the new Dial

DSC_0023.jpg

Dial Installed

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

New Hands On (The Second hand is totally different in color...the Genuine is Orange, the rep is red...)

DSC_0029.jpg

Everything cased up

DSC_0030-1.jpg

and...a Wristie for good measure!

DSC_0039.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well I decided to go one more step...Gen Crown and Tube. I found the Crown and Tube from CousinsUK and they arrived yesterday! Got the watch disassembled...got out the old, press-in tube using Pugwash's rat-tail file method (http://www.rwgforum.com/topic/101638-ultimate-planet-ocean-upgrades/), which is great by-the-way, and then followed arniezac's post on how measure the stem length (http://www.rwgforum.com/topic/104054-upo-how-to-install-a-tube-and-crown/), but...they were both using 45mm versions of the UPO which use a different Rep crown then the one on my 42mm 4th Gen Version. My 42mm version has a longer stem-to-crown attaching point than the Genuine, which made the original stem too short when attached to the Genuine crown, so...I had to order a couple of new stems from Ofrei. They should be here tomorrow and I will update, with pictures of the process, then...

So, as a note, if you are planning on adding a Gen Crown and Tube to your 42mm Planet Ocean, order a new stem with the Crown and Tube...

Pics coming tomorrow!

The new stem(s) arrived today. I ordered three in case I screwed up...which I did on one (cut it .1 mm too short) but the second one was perfect (well, within .01mm - and that was close enough!)...now for the pics...

Old Stem measurement

DSC_0002-2.jpg

New stem measurement

DSC_0003.jpg

New Stem

DSC_0007-1.jpg

Tube Installed

DSC_0005-2.jpg

DSC_0006-2.jpg

C'mon All Together Now

DSC_0008-5.jpg

DSC_0010-3.jpg

I also installed another new handset as I had scratched the last minute hand (I mean tinnnnnnny little scratch, but under certain lights you could see it). If somebody wants them let me know $5 plus shipping and they're yours...in nearly new condition.. :D

Thanks for looking and the support! This project be done!

Great work! All you need now is a good AR and it's a perfect rep!

what do you use to remove/install the crown tube? I have a couple of gen tubes and crowns coming in for 2 UPOs and am wondering about DIY or give to my w/smith

my gen 42mm

S5004580.jpg

Hells yeah bro. Beautiful work. I couldn't believe the difference just that date wheel did to "liven" it up alone. That combined with the dial, hands, bezel and pearl make it a total keeper. I hope you NEVER sell this one. Excellent work!

Great work! All you need now is a good AR and it's a perfect rep!

what do you use to remove/install the crown tube? I have a couple of gen tubes and crowns coming in for 2 UPOs and am wondering about DIY or give to my w/smith

my gen 42mm

S5004580.jpg

Sorry for the slow response. The Rep Tub comes out pretty easy. It's a press in, so I followed Pugwash's advice, and used a small round file, stuck it in the tube, pressed it in and turn until it "bit in" and the turned it while pulling out...and out it came. Pretty easy. Then all you need to do us glue in the gen tub (as it is a screw in unit)..and you're good to go!

Hells yeah bro. Beautiful work. I couldn't believe the difference just that date wheel did to "liven" it up alone. That combined with the dial, hands, bezel and pearl make it a total keeper. I hope you NEVER sell this one. Excellent work!

Thanks! I really like it too. The only thing I want to do now is change the bracelet for a Gen. I just can't find anybody selling one!

Thanks! I really like it too. The only thing I want to do now is change the bracelet for a Gen. I just can't find anybody selling one!

I'm in the same boat myself, looking for a gen ss bracelet :wounded1:

My fraken 42mm is as follows :

Dial

Hands

Bezel

Crystal

HE Valve

Crown and tube

Just need a ss bracelet. Already have the gen rubber but would like the ss to complete this baby :clapping:

Gen Bracelet arrived today, It's a bit of a tough fit getting the spring bars into the proper position, but, with a little finesse, they are in! I am running out of non rep parts on this guy :) The only rep parts left are the He Valve, Case, and Movement...hmmmmm :D

I'll post some pics of the finished product tonight!