When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Chicago Eliminated

triplehd

Watching the live Olympic coverage from my condo in the West Loop (Chicago) and couldnt believe that we got eliminated and didnt make it pass the first round.

I didnt think we would win it, even though there were whispers that Chicago was in the lead. But not make it out of the first round? Wow.

Anyone else stunned?

I live in Old Town. This absolutely, positively SUCKS. I was at Atlanta in '96 (I was about 100 yards from the bomb when it went off) and, besides that awful event, was one of the best times I've ever had in my life. I'm so bummed we don't get to show the world what a great city we have. Damn.

Maybe it had something to do with a recent video of Derrion Albert, an innocent honors student, being beaten to death with a board on the South Side? Perhaps the President should be home cleaning up before he invites company over.

I have more to say on the subject, but it's not really my place outside of personal frustration. This young man has taken it to task. I'll just leave it to him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdnsbM1CWEU&feature=related

Ah... now I got it. It was about the Olympics. Boy I feel stupid now. :whistling:

But then again it's the first time ever when South America gets to host the Olympics. I guess it's only fair.

True Doc, but politically speaking, it's just very poor timing for the President's mission at hand. Couldn't have been worse actually.

Let me think... Top Ten things the President should be focusing on right now... scanning the list, hmmmmmm, nope. I don't see "Lobby for Chicago Olympics" in my Top Ten.

Let me think... Top Ten things the President should be focusing on right now... scanning the list, hmmmmmm, nope. I don't see "Lobby for Chicago Olympics" in my Top Ten.

Right. How many days did the trip take and at what expense? What's it cost to fly the pres. and his entourage overseas? A couple a million? To lobby for his cronies?

Yes, good luck to Brazil!

Well given that the US has hosted the Olympics numerous times and Brazil nor any other South American country for that matter ever has, it seems like it was in the cards...Especially with the economic climate in Brazil being on the up (more than Obama can say for the US).

I think the surprise comes from our american sense of entitlement - not sure I would have bet highly on Chicago winning

Obama did what he needed to do to satisfy his Chicago supporters...not sure there was much more he could have done to sway it.

Im going out for Churrascaria and Capriana's tonight :drinks:

Maybe it had something to do with a recent video of Derrion Albert, an innocent honors student, being beaten to death with a board on the South Side?

Well, no. Now that the media is picking it apart it seems Brazil carried with it the highest murder rate last year of the cities considered (part of the criteria in the choosing by the OIC) @ 33 per 100,000 capita. I can only imagine, and would hate to know, what percentage were children. And, aside some pertinent infrastructure and transportation issues, Rio got the nod anyway hinging on their economic situation. Cool. It's 'fair'. Besides. Hot Latino chicks. Gone wild. On network TV. I bet I watch more coverage this time around. :)

The Associated Press speculated that the POTUS had only briefly loitered in Copenhagen and didn't even stick around for the voting. A 'business-like' showing. Considered by some as a 'slight' of disrespect to the IOC. Not sure if that had too much to do with the ultimate decision but perhaps why Chi'Town fell off in the first round? I think President Obama's advisors banked too much on his collateral Euro appeal. "Hey, Chicago is in the bag for 2016. Just show up and it will look like you pulled a rabbit out of a hat. They love you man. Love you like Britney Spears." :lol:

The IOC is replete with internal politics as it is an international organization. The fact that Chicago fell out almost immediately - in spite of the unprecedented efforts by a sitting US President and his wife - had a lot to do with "a message" being sent. What that message was is up for interpretation. But, I have worked within international government organizations and within embassies. In that environment, very few things are coincidence. I wish good luck to Brazil; they know how to throw a party and I'm sure it will be an awesome event.