When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Seeing Red

Nanuq

1680.jpg

I know it's flawed. I said; "I KNOW!"

'Mods' are for Admins. :)

Hey Dems, isn't that the watch you used to beat that bear off your salmon down on the Kenai?

Is this a gen?

I used to know more about watches than I did Bob. Now I know more about Bob than I do watches. Bob has only one replica left. And this 'aint it!

He once had a good collection of reps. They went the way of Gunga Din. They gave their all to the Corps, 'till the bitter end. Bless them.

Hi Nanuq,

I saw your post over on VRF, and just thought I'd comment on an observation:

Over there, you got only one reply to your thread, and in that one, just a criticism of the bezel and hands.

Over here, lots of replies, and in more than one, praise of your obviously rare and (very) expensive piece.

It made me think, who are the real enthusiast? People with enough ching to buy one rare piece after another, or those who research, learn, and build their dreams?

...just a thought in a tired mind after a long days work

JJ

Hi Nanuq,

I saw your post over on VRF, and just thought I'd comment on an observation:

Over there, you got only one reply to your thread, and in that one, just a criticism of the bezel and hands.

Over here, lots of replies, and in more than one, praise of your obviously rare and (very) expensive piece.

It made me think, who are the real enthusiast? People with enough ching to buy one rare piece after another, or those who research, learn, and build their dreams?

...just a thought in a tired mind after a long days work

JJ

When I aquired a gen Rolex vintage I dallied with the idea; Cool! I can join a gen site. Visted a few, Vintage Rolex Forum was one (and I did see Bob's "Seeing Red" post there BTW. The response from Kris was a reply title only; Incorrect bezel and hands mate......., no diplomacy, or tact or text. Just the statement hanging out there. That's rude) and tried to be objective as it takes time to get a feel for a new site. After a while I demured. Where's the heart and soul? Don't get me wrong, the members there are knowledgeable, and eager to impart that much, but it's like visiting Amazon.com and trying to relate to the 'customer reviews' of merchandise. Maybe I didn't give it enough time.

Anyway, I'm comimng up on a year here at RWGjr after coming from TRC and the old RWG. I don't consider this site a 'replica' sight per se`. It's a 'watch' site. I remember us downing quartz as 'souless' on the old RWG. If a man loves his G-Shock, God bless. More than likely he's a professional, maybe a soldier or emergency personel that has to be on time. I dunno, I don't think there are any more experts 'there' than 'here'. Plus here we get egg roll.

Good post JJ. It's a good observation. Yes, we're lucky.

Well said, lads. And you're exactly right, VRF is the best of the gen sites (IMHO) and still it's soulless. I've got a few friends over there that PM me after posts, and it's nice to chat with them. But there's just no point, and no joy, in correcting a noob. Even a gen noob.

This place is just tops. I'm so proud to be part of this place!

PS: Hey Dems is that my Rover in the background of your Tern Lake shot? Right up behind that clouded hill over your left shoulder is one of the jumping in spots for the backpack photos I posted last week. What a place!

He once had a good collection of reps. They went the way of Gunga Din. They gave their all to the Corps, 'till the bitter end. Bless them.

Hey, a guy's gotta leave room for a little fun in his life! :tu:

thermal_test2.jpg

PS: Hey Dems is that my Rover in the background of your Tern Lake shot? Right up behind that clouded hill over your left shoulder is one of the jumping in spots for the backpack photos I posted last week. What a place!

Rodga! When I show that pic to people they just go "Wow", because it is the quintessential mindset of the fellow flatlander to what 'Alaska' is like. "How far is that off the beaten path? Did you have to hike very far?" Then I point out the traffic and the light pole. This is just the route around the Arm. You know, the scenery you have to 'put up with' until you can hike into the 'good stuff'. I think if you hoofed it at a good pace, you could be back in downtown Anchorage in a few hours. There might be a Valero gas station behind the photographer. What mortals these fools be.............