When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just ordered a budget 1655 as a birthday treat :)

TeeJay

I'll be doing a write up and pictorial review when it arrives :) I haven't decided yet wether to simply keep the watch intact (although with some suitable vintaging, of course) or, to transplant the dial and movement into my vintage Sub case, and install a GMT bezel insert, to get something unique, and more functional :)

Sounds good T'J.

And I have to say there seems to be a putsch for 'budget watches' these days. Pieces brought along for modding, experiment or for the sake of, well, 'budget'.

It's good as I sometimes feel for the noob who may get star struck by the 'super reps' and all the high end BK speak. It is great, but, hmmmmmm, dunno, 'expensive replica' is kind of an oxymoron in my book. I have a $300 HIGH end limit on these things. There are some gentlemen around here with some pretty deep pockets. Hell, I couldn't even touch most with regard. Maybe 'could' but certainly 'wouldn't'. Franken this, Franken that, they are what they are, 'fake' a novelty.

We laugh and joke about "I'm addicted!" "My better half will kill me!" or worse "My better half will never know!". Oh. Dear.

I know what you mean, the other day, I'm sure I read someone asking 'who had the best budget sub' being directed to a WM9 Sub :bangin: Sure, absolutely awesome watch, but certainly not what could be considered a 'budget piece' by any stretch of the imagination... :whistling:

I paid £35 (including shipping) for the 1655, and I have to admit, I am quite tempted to keep it in 'factory condition' (other than the aging) but, given that the 24 hour sweep hand is simply an AM/PM indicator, I think using it for a hybrid ExplorerGMT would be creating something with a wider range of functionality. As you say, at the end of they day, they're just novelties. Just 'a watch', so I guess another example of 'less [cash] is more' :victory:

Can't wait to see it, mate! :)

I'm rather looking forward to it myself, it's been a while since I did a decent review :) Having considered, I think I'm going to go with my plan to create a hybrid ExplorerGMT, mainly to maximize the functionality, but also, because the low-profile vintage case is just so damn comfortable to wear :lol::victory:

Here's the dealer's listing, it'll be interesting to see how the watch matches up to what's advertised :)

Sounds fun. Happy BDay.

You...leave a watch untouched? Never...it will never happen. It will be extreme modded!!

:lol:

You may well be right there, modding is just too much fun, but there might be a watch eventually which will remain in a 'stock condition' (or as close to stock as a home-build can be), I just think that the 1655 guts will make for a great combination with the low-profile case :) Thanks for the birthday wishes :drinks:

I wuz gonna say I bet I knew where you got it from until you linked it, it's nice to have a kindred spirit on board! I'm sure it won't stay a "virgin" for long, "The mod side calls to you, Young TeeJay, it is your destiny"!

As far as budget, demsey has it about right in that it is a relative thing - to me, high-end is anything costing over $100. I like the "budget beaters" because it might show people without deep pockets they can have fun, too - plus I'm a "cheap ba$tard", at least I am according to wife.gov...

TeeJay, I have it's second cousin, a $32.90 Explorer II, on order (from same place my no-date came from) and I have no idea what I'm gonna do with it!

Oh, Happy Birthday! B)

I wuz gonna say I bet I knew where you got it from until you linked it, it's nice to have a kindred spirit on board! I'm sure it won't stay a "virgin" for long, "The mod side calls to you, Young TeeJay, it is your destiny"!

As far as budget, demsey has it about right in that it is a relative thing - to me, high-end is anything costing over $100. I like the "budget beaters" because it might show people without deep pockets they can have fun, too - plus I'm a "cheap ba$tard", at least I am according to wife.gov...

TeeJay, I have it's second cousin, a $32.90 Explorer II, on order (from same place my no-date came from) and I have no idea what I'm gonna do with it!

Oh, Happy Birthday! B)

I would've used the site you got the dials from, but I didn't have the spare cash for the WU fees (that would've meant no Pocari Sweat for me, and that was an urgent purchase :lol: ) so I went with David again :) As you say, it won't be staying virgin long. Just long enough for me to take some photos for the review, then it's going to be getting its guts pulled :lol: As much as I like the idea of wearing the same(ish) watch as Steve McQueen, the AM/PM function wouldn't really be of much use to me, where, throwing it into a case with a rotating bezel, means I can use my spare GMT insert, thus converting the AM/PM indicator into a functional GMT indicator :victory:

You're absolutely right about what Demsey was saying, and I openly admit, I'm also a cheap bastard, so 'bang for the buck' is pretty much my number one priority. I was seriously tempted to order the DJ for the woody instead, as that was £5 cheaper than the 1655, but I figured I'd wear the hybrid more, than I would the woody, so a £5 saving wouldn't be such a saving if it just sat on the shelf waiting for 'nights out' to get wrist time :lol:

And many thanks :drinks:

Happy Birthday TJ.. seen you go through a few buddy :thumbsupsmileyanim:

whatever you do.. enjoy your 1655 it is an eye catching piece.. (to our community anyway) B)

AC

alni

Thanks, brother, it was a great day, with great company, so a top result all round :)

I quite agree, the 1655 is an awesome watch, I'm just thinking the GMT bezel would be more functional than just the AM/PM indicator, but, you never know, when it arrives, it might completely win me over, and remain in stock configuration :) Only time will tell :)

TeeJay, looks to have a few of the more important bits missing! :unsure:

It's not telling time as well as it used to... :g:

I already wish you a happy BD but once more is never too much.

So, do you intend to open a "budget watch modding school" :g:

Many thanks, my friend :) Good wishes can never be too much :drinks:

:lol: I guess I could :D

Step One:

Buy two (or more) reasonably priced watches...

Step Two:

Dismantle said watches...

Step Three:

Swap the parts round, then re-assemble :D

That'll do for now ;)