When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Life in Alaska - Part XXVIII

Nanuq

For anyone interested there's a Solstice mtn bike race planned this December, the weekend of the 19th - 20th. It will take you about 200 miles cross country from scenic Bethel (cough) through Atmautluak, Nunapitchuk, Kasigluk, Napakiak, Napaskiak, Oscarville, Akiachuk, Akiak, Kwethluk and back to Bethel. Expect temps well below zero.

Check out the map! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

kuskoqrank.jpg

i'm curious as to what happens if a rider falls off & gets seriously injured ?

In these events they always say the rider should expect no rescue. So if you get hurt, you're on your own.

P4GTR, this is how you prepare for that cold weather...

snowy_grin.JPG

These are 4" Endomorphs on Large Marge rims with Surly 2.7" tubes. You air them down for conditions, and about 8 lbs of pressure is right for really deep snow.

pugs2_small.jpg

Is it full on XC or a bit of time trial ? Bet the riders are pretty specialized (no pun intended).

You're kidding, right? This is about the conditions you can expect: dark, cold and windy.

susitna_100.JPG

snowy_ride.JPG

Good God. Is there a 'just shoot me' option at the start?

Different strokes for different folks. This is what I did last week for ha-ha's;

GOBO.jpg

I think I had too many beers. It was a close call.

We call this fish "Ehu",here in Hawaii.... red snapper... good days catch Dems.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Some of these guy's look Hawaii "local".. especially with a boat christened "Gobo".. :lol:

L

GOBO.jpg

I think I had too many beers. It was a close call.

Dems is the pink thing lying on his side in the front row, middle of the picture.

I think the ride actually sounds fun. If you're prepared...fun. 200mi on soft terrain is brutal though. Wow. How hard pack is the road, or are you bushwacking/breaking trail the entire way? Is it cold enough to be reasonably crusty on top?

I remember doing some glacier mountaineering and the days it was COLD were better as the top crust of the snow would be hard enough to support your weight, but when it warmed up a bit, brutal, as you spent HOURS punching through the crust and wading through waist deep snow.

I think the ride actually sounds fun. If you're prepared...fun. 200mi on soft terrain is brutal though. Wow. How hard pack is the road, or are you bushwacking/breaking trail the entire way? Is it cold enough to be reasonably crusty on top?

I remember doing some glacier mountaineering and the days it was COLD were better as the top crust of the snow would be hard enough to support your weight, but when it warmed up a bit, brutal, as you spent HOURS punching through the crust and wading through waist deep snow.

Great questions, TT. There are no roads up there. None. It should be well frozen by then, so if we're lucky it might be hard ice riding across the tundra from pond to pond. But if it snows and drifts then it could be slogging through waist deep snow. One thing's for sure, it will be an adventure! :tu:

That sounds a hoot. Some day Bob...I'm going to make it up there again for some winter adventure...some day. I haven't made it to Anchorage yet...but up to Haines and the Chilkat area a few times. LOVE IT!!

Waist deep slogging pushing 50 lbs in bike sounds brutal...but the stories!! Wow. You should pedal with crampons on...WATCH THE FRONT POINTS ON THOSE 4.5" TIRES!!

Is your son joining you on this??

I suspect the culture on the ride even with the "expect no rescue" clause is pretty supportive amongst riders...not like "cash and carry" everyone-for-themselves mountaineering like Everest where you leave the almost dead if they didn't help pay for your sherpas.

Bah, it's only 200 miles! Piece-o-cake. :tu: Now will someone please chip the ice off my eyelids so I can blink?

nome2.jpg

That's what I thought.....you must be built like a Yeti to do this ride! but sounds like fun! Something I'd like to do if I live there!

My Boss in the USAF used to race the Iditarod every efffing year and I regretted not going with him at least once~! I was young and a pussy then. The most adventure I did then was ice fishin up in Holter Lake, Montana and shootin at Bambi and some wild turkeys~! :pardon:

Oh....and this is what we do in the Midwest now........

salmonhead.jpg

You gotta watch it, koz if you eat too much Lake Michigan Salmon, you turn into a fish head!