When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5513 Gilt Dial

lanikai

This is not the most accurate dial.. better than most..I want to get a gilt dial project going ...

rimg0073.jpg

but my main concern is the finish.. was the 5513 made with a glossy finish ??

also, are the hands silver and not gold ??

thank you in advance..

AC

Lani

Lani - I believe the 1st runs of 5513s had gloss/gilt dials until the mid-60s or so. However, I have only seen these with the depth line above the Submariner line. I will have to check my hard drive archives to see if I can any find exceptions to be sure.

thank you .. appreciate it freddy.. I thought the hands were gilt also.. those I will have to order from MKII if they are..

thanks again..

Lani

I've seen gilt dials with gold and silver hands. These are all watches from the early 60's. Of course, I like the gilt hands w/ the gilt dials, but I sometimes woinder if Rolex really cared that much at the time. Of course, by the middle 60's it was all white dials and silver hands.

When I did the research for mine I concluded gloss dial in Gilt only had depth above Submariner as Freddy mentions. I did see them with either Gilt or Silver (white gold I expect) hands - I prefer the Gilt hands.

For Gilt hands:

ETA movements - Clarks Tudor hands

Gen Movement - Michael Young at CWP

R, you'll see both gilt dials with gilt and silver hands but all latter RSC replacements were silver toned hands.

I agree everything I've ever seen has depth printed above the model on a gilt glossy dial. I do love the gilt dial and matching hands combo.

Sniff sniff, I'm missing my gilt 369 dialed 5513. Granted this NDT dial was not glossy.

DSCN5014.jpg

I thought that the early subs with explorer type dials in the 55xx series (only two models, I think) had coin edge bezels.

I could be wrong in my recollection. Those gens existing today could be real frankens due to Rolex service policies.

Does anyone have better information on this?

Thanks!

Carl

I thought that the early subs with explorer type dials in the 55xx series (only two models, I think) had coin edge bezels.

I could be wrong in my recollection. Those gens existing today could be real frankens due to Rolex service policies.

Does anyone have better information on this?

Thanks!

Carl

this is from one of James Dowlings historic write ups..the hands look as they may have been replaced though

55131.jpg

this is suppose to be one of the last 5513 gilt dial Subs by Rolex .. was this what you referring to Carl ??

55132.jpg

the first in the Explorer line.. the one that conquered Everest.. .. just "Precision" ... this would be a nice project.. I have a dial from ND.. but not gilt.. :(

6150d.jpg

No water mark on this photo Freddy. Your piece? Wondering about the re-lume.

I only watermark my pics. That (gen) piece belongs to 1 of the TZ elders.

I can go one weirder than that, my 6536 is gilt with gold hands but they were painted silver. :huh:

During the 50s, Rolex had a habit of painting the seconds hand on alot of their sports models white. I have lots of pics of early GMTs & Subs with gilt/gold minute/hour hands & a white seconds hand

0455_1_lg.jpg

I had planned to use a white hand on my 6536/1

T-25dial30071.jpg

But, in the end, I did not think it would go through my enhanced patination process (oven) & come out still white at the other end.

Sniff sniff, I'm missing my gilt 369 dialed 5513. Granted this NDT dial was not glossy.

Mores the pity since you could have fitted that beauty with a realistic rivet bracelet, now that they are readily available (albeit only with narrow springbars).

I like the gilt dials but it seems all of the reps I've seen using one have been two-tone. I plan on modifying one of my cheap Subs as soon as I get the gold hands in. This will be a "modern" one using this dial:

post-24124-125588673404_thumb.jpg

During the 50s, Rolex had a habit of painting the seconds hand on alot of their sports models white. I have lots of pics of early GMTs & Subs with gilt/gold minute/hour hands & a white seconds hand

Ahhh, yes that's true. The weird part in my case is, all 3 hands were painted silver. I had Ziggy take the paint off my minutes and hours hands, and leave the seconds hand silver.