When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

new GMT II @ Josh?

itseme

Just saw this "new" GMT II at josh.

-> http://www.jpc8118.com/0074a-p-7669.html

It looks like the bezel numbers are whiter than the old version, also it looks like it has a different movement. Any other news?

Oh and does someone know what is 316F stainless steel ? Whats the difference between 316F steel and normal 316 steel?

cheers

Oh and does someone know what is 316F stainless steel ? Whats the difference between 316F steel and normal 316 steel?

cheers

We saw this last week in the new 1665 reps from Josh. He claims it's a higher grade of 316 ss, brighter and harder than 316L. I guess we'll find out soon enough if it's hype or truth.

Never mind the bezel (you cannot accurately tell the shade of color from his pics), but it looks like the GMTIIC will now be fitted with the Rolex clone movements (with balance bridges). According to Josh's site, 'This product was added to our catalog on Tuesday 20 October, 2009.'

These are certainly not 1:1 copies of Rolex movements, but it is certainly a (visual) step in the right direction & I like what I see. I would love to see how (after a proper servicing) 1 of these function vs a gen. :g:

12.jpg

14.jpg

Unfortunately, it does not look like they went far enough to replicate the correct handstack or fix the rehaut 'engraving' (maintaining the usual 1 step forward, 1 step backward theme)

joshgmtiic.jpg

Gentlemen & ladies - I think ETA's decision to turn off the market spigot may have ultimately done little more than to prompt the factories into directing their reverse-engineering talents towards copying gen movements. We may be seeing the beginnings of a rep watch renaissance.

They are calling the movement this: Nickle Plated Asian Clone (Rolex 3131) Automatic Movement, 25J, 28800bph

Check out the newly listed Milguass: http://www.jpc8118.com/0000000000rlm00088-milguass-green-sapphire-asia-3131-p-7666.html

It is high beat at least, I would love to see a resident expert break it down for us B)

We may be seeing the beginnings of a rep watch renaissance.

Kirk.jpg

Just when you think you're out? They drag you back in.

I've always wanted a GMTII Ceramic. Maybe I'll do this. Always just in it for the ha-ha's. I think these rep movements are the bomb.

Funneh, the difference a few hours makes. Just this morning 'mimic' movements took the brunt. Now they're Raphael. :p

Funneh, the difference a few hours makes. Just this morning 'mimic' movements took the brunt. Now they're Raphael. :p

Raphael? Nah. The movement posted earlier was just another in the series of bastardized ETAs. But opting for a balance bridge (where the balance wheel is affixed to the pillar plate at 2 points) over a cock (where the balance wheel is affixed at only 1 point) in this movement certainly caught my eye & could signify 'real change' (or not).

That said (& at least in the case of the GMTII), I would have much preferred that the factory produce a reliable CHS GMT movement rather than tarting-up an ICHS ETA with some Rolex-like features. The former results in a watch that looks more like the real thing when worn, while the latter may result in very slightly better long-term reliably (assuming the movement is properly serviced, which is rarely the norm with rep watches).

Point taken. I was belaboring the point for amusement (personal). Trolling if you will. All this over a '[censored]'. I think this is where the 'Bard would step in. Fodder for. Shakespeare could get five acts out of this thread. RWG? A few triads. At least.

Look for 'Joshua' as Antonio, 'Pugwash' playing the part of Shylock. Oh the silvery.

Yeah it'd be cool.

But then again who really cares how the movement looks like? It's pretty sad picture to imagine someone carrying the Bergeon tools in his pocket (just in case) and opening the caseback everytime when someone asks the magic question "Is it real?" :D

OK, I'm not exactly Rolex guy, so maybe I miss something - but what in the world makes this movement more expensive than 2836 clone (+ US$130), or Swiss 2836 (+ US$40) ?? Appearance of the movement in closed caseback watch ?? Maybe if it would really function as 3186, but based on: "Note : GMT Independently Adjustable" I somehow doubt :thumbdown:

regards

Yeah it'd be cool.

But then again who really cares how the movement looks like? It's pretty sad picture to imagine someone carrying the Bergeon tools in his pocket (just in case) and opening the caseback everytime when someone asks the magic question "Is it real?" :D

OK, I'm not exactly Rolex guy, so maybe I miss something - but what in the world makes this movement more expensive than 2836 clone (+ US$130), or Swiss 2836 (+ US$40) ?? Appearance of the movement in closed caseback watch ?? Maybe if it would really function as 3186, but based on: "Note : GMT Independently Adjustable" I somehow doubt :thumbdown:

regards

Good points, and depending whom you ask, arguments can be made to the effect that ETA/ETA Valjoux can hold a COSC and a reliability/performance standard to any Rolex in-house chronometer/chronograph movement.

I dunno, I've always enjoyed qualifying my replicas w/ETA as having said same Swiss movements that are standard in some high end wrist watches i.e. Tag, Bell&Ross, Hublot, Cartier, Corum, UN others, about 90% others;

"Yeah it's a replica, but it has a Swiss movement like a Tag Heuer, so it's a good watch" carries a little more weight than "It's a replica watch, through and through. They even copied the movement. It's all an Asian knock-off" Hmmmmm.

Anyhoo, I find it amusing. The opinions here from rep owners to 'copied' movements are those largely held by genuine watch owners with regard to replica in any degree; "Everyone will know it's a fake. Why bother? Seems kinda stupid." Funneh.

If copying a gen movement (at considerable discount from comparable ETA pricing) will produce a movement with the same reliability/accuracy benefits as the gen movement I'm all for it. If it's just a "cosmetic" thing then I could give a rat's a$$!