When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

If you could improve the WM9V2 Submariner...

mrsato1

OK, so it is comfirmed that the WM9V2 Submariner is the best Rolex sumbariner rep available. By now you have all read the reviews by many of the Rolex rep experts. My question is, if you were king for day, what would you do to improve the current WM9V2 Submariner? Are they minor or major improvements? Thanks for your expertise and insight.

Size of crown, crownguards, insert, crystal height, AR. Thats all that I can think of.

Crown size is perfect on the new batches. It's the vertical position that's off.

Crown guards and crystal height are pretty much spot on.

Rolex watches don't have AR.

What's wrong with the insert?

Guest HaloArchive

I stand corrected. At least on mine, the mentioned were wrong and were easy to fix besides the AR?

According to I think Freddy? They do or, something like that, I spoke too soon and didnt read all of what he wrote.

Wow! What a great response. As best I can tell the group is in agreement that the crown position should be addressed (possibly a new movement would be the fix), a correct size crown, improved crown guards and perhaps a geniune insert. As far as the price; well good things cost money, great things cost more. So with these fixes would this be the "perfect rep submariner"? Can anyone think of anything else?

Edited by mrsato1

..... AR. Thats all that I can think of.

You must have just woken up to post this ;)

mrsato1 a correct size crown

As mentioned, WM9 has corrected the crown in current batches

And to answer the OP's question .. I agree regarding "price" ... it is the price of an artists' work, tho.

I don't know why people say the crown guards should be "improved"? How can you improve something that are virtually perfect?

The v1 cg's had to be modded but they're superb in v2.

If something have to be improved, it's the SELs. I have changed to v1 SELs which are superior.

4-6.jpg

The lume was a little green on mine; in the daylight.

Is that because it is glowing so hard, that it discolors the "whiteness?" This happens to me now that Zig re-lumed my DSSD .. the lume is never white in direct Sun anymore, since it's glowing SO HARD you can see the glow in full Sun at noontime.

• 2 weeks later...

-Crown

- the weight of the watch . Had two friends with genuine subs .they could not tell if it was a rep till they held my wm9v2 .as soon as they hold it they were like "this is way lighter than mine" . Original sub is a heftier watch from my experience.

-date cyclops. Clark crystal should do the trick.

- the weight of the watch . Had two friends with genuine subs .they could not tell if it was a rep till they held my wm9v2 .as soon as they hold it they were like "this is way lighter than mine" . Original sub is a heftier watch from my experience.

Rolex watches being "heavy" is one of the stupidest and longest living myths that doesn't seem to die. This myth is from the times when all Rolex replicas were made of brass metal (and had batteries).

Sub weighs 135 grams (with all bracelet links intact), which makes it one of the lightest automatic XL sports watches in the world. Only GMTII and ExplorerII are lighter (because they don't have the bracelet diver's extension).

Most older reps were a bit heavier than gens because they used to have solid bracelet links. How there even could be any difference when both have the same dimensions and have automatic movements 3135/ETA? Maybe your friends' Submariners have lead casebacks? :D

ff.jpg

only vertical position of the crown - the rest is perfect - at least on mine ;)

if you have too much money and want to go ballistic - get some gen parts - the sky is the limit :)

cheers,

Frank

Rolex watches being "heavy" is one of the stupidest and longest living myths that doesn't seem to die. This myth is from the times when all Rolex replicas were made of brass metal (and had batteries).

Sub weighs 135 grams (with all bracelet links intact), which makes it one of the lightest automatic XL sports watches in the world. Only GMTII and ExplorerII are lighter (because they don't have the bracelet diver's extension).

Most older reps were a bit heavier than gens because they used to have solid bracelet links. How there even could be any difference when both have the same dimensions and have automatic movements 3135/ETA? Maybe your friends' Submariners have lead casebacks? :D

ff.jpg

a GREAT reply.... thanks by-tor

By-Tor's right. The sub isn't supposed to be heavy but heft always get equated to genuine. That's just a layman or outsider's thinking. How can anyone actually tell the wm9 v2 is a rep by feeling the weight by hand? Did he take off the bracelet and feel the head only? If my wrist is bigger and I put on 1 or 2 extra link, the weight is more already, more than the difference between v2 and gen heads. The guy was guessing, speaking with a preconception.

Here's my formula for modding the v2. Clark crystal and gasket to give the closer to gen look (more rounded top edge like gen's, more accurate cyclop mag, NO etched crown) and water resistance; correct sized crown (newer ones have correct sized crowns), gen insert only if you can't stand the insert pearl. Gen insert is the best ROI. A new one for $150. You can't get more out of $150 spent. There's really nothing else you need to do. There's nothing you can do about the SEL except you can find a v1 bracelet or a gen.

What to improve on the v2? The answer is in the new wm9 LV. Higher, exact-to-gen crown position by use of 2824-2. That's the final stop of a sub rep case.

Here're some pics. The new wm9 LV. Note the higher case hole:

IMG_4581.jpg

v2's lower case hole:

IMG_4582.jpg

wm9 also tappered the lug profile thinner. That makes the SEL less sunken/recessed. I think the SELs look much better in the lugs,

IMG_4531.jpg

still gaps though.

-bk

Edited by bklm1234

By-Tor's right. The sub isn't supposed to be heavy but heft always get equated to genuine. That's just a layman or outsider's thinking. How can anyone actually tell the wm9 v2 is a rep by feeling the weight by hand? Did he take off the bracelet and feel the head only? If my wrist is bigger and I put on 1 or 2 extra link, the weight is more already, more than the difference between v2 and gen heads. The guy was guessing, speaking with a preconception.

Here's my formula for modding the v2. Clark crystal and gasket to give the closer to gen look (more rounded top edge like gen's, more accurate cyclop mag, NO etched crown) and water resistance; correct sized crown (newer ones have correct sized crowns), gen insert only if you can't stand the insert pearl. Gen insert is the best ROI. A new one for $150. You can't get more out of $150 spent. There's really nothing else you need to do. There's nothing you can do about the SEL except you can find a v1 bracelet or a gen.

What to improve on the v2? The answer is in the new wm9 LV. Higher, exact-to-gen crown position by use of 2824-2. That's the final stop of a sub rep case.

Here're some pics. The new wm9 LV. Note the higher case hole:

v2's lower case hole:

wm9 also tappered the lug profile thinner. That makes the SEL less sunken/recessed. I think the SELs look much better in the lugs,

still gaps though.

-bk

would be nice to get this middle case as an upgrade - any chance this will be sold separately ? :whistling:

cheers,

Frank

I went a little ballistic:

gen parts/bezel, insert, crystal, crown and tube.

The Zigmeister lume on hands and dial, movement swap to ETA 2836 and TW's best bracelet.

I may well be wrong on this, but I thought the WM9v2 sub came with gen ETA??

Ah, ok, I seeeee....

So they came with a 2678-2 in a movement ring, and you've swapped this arrangement out for a 2836 (without a movement ring?).

I guess that as long as the sweep is smooth and the movement genuine, as advertised, I wouldn't mind which was in mine, but the overall best option would be a 2824-2 movement and the case from the LV with the correctly placed stem hole?