When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

need to know crown and tube thread size

jmb

I'm putting together a "tooling" order as I need some stuff for my shop and figured I'd order some taps and what have you for the tube and crown on Rolex (Subs and what have you). I seem to remember the tube as a 3mm but can't remember the pitch or what the crown is.

Thanks...

Tapping the hole in the case takes a 3.0mm x .35 tap. On MBW's it might be a good idea to drill out the case hole w/ a 2.65mm drill bit, then tap.

Crown is the 7mm, 24-703-0, tube is the 24-7030-0, the last 0 denotes ss.

Might not be a bad idea to pick up the little wrench tool for installing the case tubes- Ofrei and Jules Borel have them.

Taps can be bought for less if you look on line- do a search. Maybe $6 ea plus s&h- beats Ofrei and JBorel! Easy to buy a couple at that price.

I've beem doing well recently with the aftermarket casetubes that Mr. Slimeball sells (wholesaleoutlet990). Jewelerstools sells used 24-703 crowns- cheaper the more you buy. Used to be able to buy them for $20 or so on the bay, now maybe $35. I still haven't the guy over in HK w/ the $14+ crown and casetube- it would be nice if those are decent copies!

goat, I've bought several 6mm and 7mm crowns from the "hong-kong" guy and they seem to work out OK. Comparing one of his right next to a gen you can see differences but they are still better than what I'm replacing. I have bought from him off the 'bay and he'll usually give a shipping discount. Here's my Noob with one of his crowns:

crown change 1.JPG

That's great to know...thanks for info, jmb! Always lookin for parts that work without too much milling. Most of us don't have a machine shop. I am really interested in your lug hole drilling. Let me know if you want to do some. I have an MBK case coming to put that Noob in. I saw one that have been drilled...2mm just like gen. Looked awsome.

MT

Thanks, preacher. I think right now I wouldn't be nervous about opening up existing lug holes for somebody other than myself but I still want to get a bit more practice drilling them "from scratch".

I understand that. I would appreciate it if you would just update us on how your setup is coming.

I have thought about building a wooden jig. Cut it out to fit the case perfectly. Locate the drilling and install a steel tube through the jig where the drilling would be. To stabalize the bit. Then I read, with interest your article on the use of a set and a center bit before actually drilling the final. Makes perfect sense that drilling into a piece of SS, at an angle, the bit will walk. Just glad I read your article before I screwed something up. That's what this board is for.

MT

A complete drilling jig would be really nice if the holes could be trusted to always be in the same spot. Unfortunately I don't have that much trust in Chinese manufacturing and tolerances...

• 3 weeks later...

Tapping the hole in the case takes a 3.0mm x .35 tap. On MBW's it might be a good idea to drill out the case hole w/ a 2.65mm drill bit, then tap.

Crown is the 7mm, 24-703-0, tube is the 24-7030-0, the last 0 denotes ss.

Might not be a bad idea to pick up the little wrench tool for installing the case tubes- Ofrei and Jules Borel have them.

Taps can be bought for less if you look on line- do a search. Maybe $6 ea plus s&h- beats Ofrei and JBorel! Easy to buy a couple at that price.

I've beem doing well recently with the aftermarket casetubes that Mr. Slimeball sells (wholesaleoutlet990). Jewelerstools sells used 24-703 crowns- cheaper the more you buy. Used to be able to buy them for $20 or so on the bay, now maybe $35. I still haven't the guy over in HK w/ the $14+ crown and casetube- it would be nice if those are decent copies!

Alligoat, Are you saying that a gen-spec tube will not screw in an MBK/MBW case? I just received an MBK case set from ET and one of the things I want to do is change the crown to gen-spec tube and crown.

Thanks!

Preacher, whenever you change out a case tube, it's a good idea to run the 3.0mm x .35 tap thru there- to clean out the glue and just to make sure the threads are correct for the rolex (or aftermarket) case tube. I broke a tap in an older MBK case over a year ago and some of the older MBK cases have smaller than gen holes. If you can run the tap thru w/o too much resistance, you're probably OK. If you are forcing it, it's time to back out the tap and run the 2.65mm drill bit thru there and then tap the hole. On my Euro 16610(MBK) case, all I had to do was tap it, but I believe the crown and tube were the latest batch which are a copy of the Rolex gen. So if you have en older MBK case you might want to be aware of this so you don't break the tap like I did.

Thank you much! I just received the case (MBK 16610) from Eurotimez on yesterday. I believe it to be new. It is not the M Series. Additionally, it does not have a gen-like crown. If it did I would probably leave it along. The crown is more Noob-like only not quite as thick.

Great info, though. Better than tearing up my new case. No matter how good the case is...if you are not good at adaptation you'll pull your hair out.

Thanks again. If you have more info from this, please share.

MT

One quick thing. W/ the new cases, new crown and tube, you may be able to install a gen crown w/o removing the tube- the gen crown may screw down on the rep tube- I remember a few people doing that. I removed the tube to file down the cg's and trashed it out removing it, so I went back w/ an aftermarket tube. Ironically I like the wholesaleoutlet990 tube better than the Clarks Watch Supply one- but both are soft- I've snapped off three or four now! That's why you need to tap the hole all the way, go slowly and be careful. Also might need to countersink the hole w/ a larger drill bit to seat the tube all the way in the case- just don't countersink too much- it will wallow out the sides of the case.

Thanks, again! I was hoping that that was the case. I'll try. On my Noobmariner it was great to get BKs case set as it just screwed in the current drilling. I'll try a crown from wholesaleoutlett999. I have bought items from them before.

You're always very helpful and we appreciate it.

MT

• 8 months later...

Thanks, again! I was hoping that that was the case. I'll try. On my Noobmariner it was great to get BKs case set as it just screwed in the current drilling. I'll try a crown from wholesaleoutlett999. I have bought items from them before.

You're always very helpful and we appreciate it.

MT

Sorry to necropost here...but since the cartels (trusty & pt) are offering their 1680s this year, with 2846 movement...what is the current experience with the crowns/case tubes in these new 1680 versions?

Also, is wholesale still making a decent case tube? what about yuki or clark? And how come I never see a 7mm case tube tool listed anywhere....or is the 6mm case tube tool used for the 703 case tube as well?

thanks for the input in advance

One quick thing. W/ the new cases, new crown and tube, you may be able to install a gen crown w/o removing the tube- the gen crown may screw down on the rep tube- I remember a few people doing that. I removed the tube to file down the cg's and trashed it out removing it, so I went back w/ an aftermarket tube. Ironically I like the wholesaleoutlet990 tube better than the Clarks Watch Supply one- but both are soft- I've snapped off three or four now! That's why you need to tap the hole all the way, go slowly and be careful. Also might need to countersink the hole w/ a larger drill bit to seat the tube all the way in the case- just don't countersink too much- it will wallow out the sides of the case.

alli...do you have any advice on my recent post on this thread, regarding case tube tool for 1680 and 1680 case tubes? thanks and sorry to bug you here....seems the RG is down, and usually I would hit you up of there

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, but I've been searching McMaster-Carr, MSC, Grainger, Ofrei and others for this tap and I just can't find it. Is the posting correct? 3.0mm x 0.35 tap? I searched for that as well as an M3 x 0.35 Tap. Each search came back with a 3.0 x 0.5 Tap or M3 x 0.5 Tap. Am I missing something here? :rolleyes: