When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1680 Franken

vlydog

Greetings RWG,

I am in the "hunting and gathering" stage of my first franken project for 2010; I have a good start.

My request is for the forum sages to look at my parts list and tell me what I may have left out.

Gen Parts:

1570/1575 movement

Dial

Hands

Crown

Crown tube

Bezel

Bezel insert

Silver date-wheel

Top-hat cyclops

I will be using a Yuki case; me thinks.

Anything missing?

Thanks

Gen bracelet

7206/80

9315/280

9315/380

93150/580

Considering the cost of the individual gen parts, you ought to include a gen 1680 in your hunting/gathering. For not much more than you are already spending to build a franken, you would end up with something that has alot more value. That is what I would do.

In terms of the more minor parts such as crystal retaining ring, gaskets, friction washer, etc; would I be able to use these parts from the rep case?

If the case was made to exact Rolex dimensions (like NDtrading, Yuki, etc), then they ought to fit. But most rep cases are nowhere that exact. In fact, most rep cases appear to be 'ballparked', at best. My guess is that things like retaining rings probably will not fit. But I have been (pleasantly) surprised on more than 1 occasion, so it is always worth a try to find out. Keep in mind that the gaskets used in rep watches are usually the lowest quality, so, even if they do fit, I would replace them.

Another question:

Bought a nice Vintage 60's ROLEX OYSTER PERPETUAL DATE Ref 1500 on the bay.

I plan on using the movement for my 1680 franken project.

Will I need spacer rings or additional parts to have it dropped in my Yuki case?

You shouldn't need anything other than the rolex Movement screws that you actually reverse to hold the movement in place.

@vlydog, looks like we have sister projects going. I got my start buying the majority of gen parts off of Yachtmaster:

Lets stay connected.

Here is my parts list, what I have:

Gen Dial

Gen Insert

Gen Crown & Tube

Gen 1575 Movement Silver/Flat 3

Gen Crystal

Yuki Case (old version, non-glued tube)

Needed Parts:

Hands

Bracelet

Springbars

Budget:

Goal stay below $2000

Currently at: $1800

:mellow:

Most of that $$$ is the Gen 1575.

Lets keep in touch!

The tubes in the last cases I received from Yuki were glued in, but they were also threaded. So you just have to heat the case (with the crystal & movement removed) with a hair dryer for a bit to soften the glue & then remove the tube in the usual manner. Then tap the threads to clean out the residual glue & you should be all set to install a new/gen tube.

Unlike the typical rep, Yuki's cases are made to fit gen movements & dials.

From what I understand the new Yuki cases have the crown tubes glued in, instead of, or in addition to threaded. Also, my case appears to fit my 1575 from a pie-pan datejust without modification.

I currently have an order in for a 1680 case from Yuki. After RoninQ's post I sent Yuki an email.

This is what he said:

Please don't worry.

It is very long time ago, because we have been change ThIS supplier.

We don't have case with gluing in the crown tube right now.

Are you sure about that? This is what Stilty says on another topic:

"Here is a vital part for the 1570 movement for anyone who is planning on building a Franken 1680 or 1665 and using a movement salvaged from a 1601 or 1603 Datejust. If you are using a salvage from a 1500 OP Date, then you will be fine.

Why you ask? The date disc seat on the 1570 for DJ is beveled for the pie pan dial, and the diameter is too large to fit in the sport case. You will not be able to fit the movement to the case. The only other fix is to grind down the part in order to fit, or replace with the proper seat. Something to keep in mind if shopping for a 1570 on the bay and you see a seller listing a 1570 from a 1601 and saying it will fit a 1680. It will not fit.

I recall The Zigmeister posting this problem a while back while assembling a Franken and he had to grind the seat to the proper diameter in order to fit the case."