When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Panerai's 300 Pre-t Bezels are here !

lanikai

My hands could not keep steady taking these images.. a little blur gang.. but thanks to the support here.. not "there" my vintage 300 no-t looks like a winner.

the colours may need to be altered.. I still need to do my homework .. but it will go to the collector's/AD's shop tomorrow.. keep your fingers crossed for this one gang !!

and however this turns out.. a gracious and humble ..THANK YOU VERY MUCH to Panerai153.. Nanuq and all that are here and make RWG the bestest "Supporting Forum" on the Net !!

doxabezels002.jpg

doxabezels003.jpg

doxabezels004.jpg

AC

Lani

*falls over clutching his chest*

THAT LOOKS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!! :tu: :tu: :tu:

So did they snap onto the case, or is there a retaining ring still to hold them, or what? Is it possible they'll work, or do you just have them sitting on the case deck?

With that paint scheme those are from a Sub 300 Sharkhunter, not the very earliest batch, but very early. They are North American bezels, with feet indication instead of meters. They have the correct matte inner ring and polished outer ring, and luckily, they do NOT have inner hash marks that extend from the innermost edge to the divider between "time" and "depth" marks. Whew!

Man oh man ... I'll tell you what, Lani - you are one fortunate guy! Lady Luck has kissed you on the cheek.

If your watchmaker is unable to make them click onto the case ... if I were you ... I would do as before and I'd just epoxy one in place. Face it, you're not going to time dives with that bezel, so as long as it's sitting flush to the case and aligned right, who cares if it doesn't turn?

I am in awe, my friend. What an absolutely unbelievably GORGEOUS watch you have there! And soon you'll see that "once you go vintage Doxa, you'll never go back."

Magnificent! :notworthy:

R, If, finally, you are forced down the "glue" route, give thought to fixing it with silicone, as against an epoxy.

I've never tried it, but I reckon if you had a reasonable contact of silicone over the complete 360 deg, you may find a good enough to excellent grip. And at least it would be relatively easy to remove, (aside from the cleaning up)

Worth a thought.

BTW Looking good mate...I still reckon that thing should reside a bit further west and southwinkiss.gif

O/S

Just as a wee followup, I mentioned that the paint scheme is not from the earliest Sharkie, but from a later one. Here's my reasoning:

The Sharkhunter came with a lume spot of paint at the 12:00 dot of the inner track of the bezel. The Pro, DivingStar and SeaRambler had orange outer dots and black inner dots. The Synchron era "weirdo" SUBs had a triangle of lume there at the inner track.

Several differing sources have agreed that on the very first run of the Sharkhunter SUB 300 it was the inner track of the bezel that was painted red, or orange with a matching dot at 12:00. The outer track was painted black, with a black dot at 12:00. That's how mine came, so I simply refreshed the factory paint.

sharkie_300_dome.jpg

sharkie_300.jpg

I am just sitting here reminiscing over many deep dives done.

You know, the early bezels were still bloody good indicators, during a time when we were all still coming to grips with decompression, and its limits. I still now clearly remember we had arrived at the conclusion that if we maxed out @ 200', we DEFINETLY needed a stop if we had been more than 5 minutes!

It always cost doing a 5mins @ 10' stop!

Similarly, 10 mins @140' was another benchmark.

(Bob, have you spotted the anomaly between your bezel, and R's? Look at the position of the 10 minute marker, relative to the depth. R's is more conservative! Yours shows 10 mins @150', R's shows 10 mins @ 135".)

Doesn't surprise, even US Divers were a fledgling company at that time, still coming to grips with a developing sport.

And they were commissioning all these from Doxa, who themselves would have been torn between EU and US standards!

The funniest thing was I dived for about 4 years using the US Navy tables, (on which all these were based), and then someone pointed out that these tables were designed for fit US Navy divers, and as they pushed the limits, could only be used, when a decom chamber was available on the surface. (As they had a 10% failure factor built in!!)

We then had a look at the British tables, but these were so conservative, that we got so little bottom time. so we went back to the US Navy tables, with the rider, that it didn't hurt to "blow a few bubbles at 10' on the way out".

In 20 years of diving, I only ever suffered 1 "bend"(thankfully- most extreme pain), and that came from too many repetitions in shallow (relatively) water.

Hmm, all memories now.

Offshore

@Nanuq.. yup.. I believe Arthur gave me a heads up.. I gotta look in the Doxa text book for the correct colouring.. but that is "manini".. (very small fish) :Jumpy: "ainokea" .. "no bodda me"

and yes.. the bezel is just resting on the funky bezel top...

and yes.. O/S and Nanuq the thought has crossed my mind to use a fastener if need be :good: .. and also an adhesive where the bezel can be readily removed if need be..

tomorrow can't come fast enough... :bangin:

and ... I couldn't help post a pic "ova there" with "2" bezels in the pic.. twenty something views.. no repies... :lol:

thanks again guy's :good:

AC

Lani

That looks great. I hope that you can get it to fit. It is much nicer to see one of those bezels on a really nice Doxa rather than sitting in my watch parts drawer, gathering dust. As Nanug said, these were probably replacement bezels for a very early 300 Sharkhunter. If you want the correct color scheme, look in Dr. Pete's book. Also if you want more help, I wouldn't hesitate to go over to the "Orange forum and send him a PM or Email. He is passionate about the vintage models and is always a source of help.

Not to come to the defense of the guys over there, but in actuality there are very few members there who are into the vintage watches. Most of the members have never had a 300T from the 60's or and Aubrey 600T in their hands. they are only interested in the newer contemporary models. That's OK, everyone has their own taste when it comes to watches. I like both the vintage and modern. I certainly wouldn't dive with my old 300T, so the newer ones have a place, they just don't have a story to tell.

Arthur

Thanks again A !!... my main concern now is getting one of the bezels on the the case... and sending the other back home..

I'll deal with the colour scheme after I get it back..

I'm sure there are some very good people over at the Orange forum... but some of the more famous ones don't frequent.. I'm accustomed to the camaraderie here I guess.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I'll report back after I drop my baby off.. :)

AC

R

Man oh man oh man ... I feel like an expectant papa walking the halls of a hospital while his new baby is being born. Is it blue cigars, or pink? Is the missus okay? When will the delivery come?

I sure hope your watchmaker was able to fit one of those bezels!

Man oh man oh man ... I feel like an expectant papa walking the halls of a hospital while his new baby is being born. Is it blue cigars, or pink? Is the missus okay? When will the delivery come?

I sure hope your watchmaker was able to fit one of those bezels!

[/quote

No wonder I feel ma focus has been way off base... :lol:

he said it would be awhile, since the bezel if glued on and he needs to facricate a click spring.. I would of rather sent it up North. but I'd be a basket case (more so) with the shipping :animal_rooster:

exciting stuff lani -- great to see it all coming together. looking forward to the finished product :victory:

deltatahoe

ps, i've been busy at work & distracted -- haven't gotten to the post office to post your parcel yet (just wanted to let you know so you aren't concerned that it has been lost).

exciting stuff lani -- great to see it all coming together. looking forward to the finished product :victory:

deltatahoe

ps, i've been busy at work & distracted -- haven't gotten to the post office to post your parcel yet (just wanted to let you know so you aren't concerned that it has been lost).

No worries at all DT.. with your schedule, I figured that was what was going on.. not even an issue buddy :thumbsupsmileyanim: .. don't go outta your way.. wheneva.. no big ting.... :lol:

and thanks .. yuppers.. this has been a great month for watch karma.. :)

AC

Lani

Okay Lani, to keep you from going insane while you wait for your SUB 300 to get done, tell me what I don't like about this 300T? It is expected to be slightly different from your 300, and it is permissible to use the web for reference. :whistling:

orig.jpg

:lol:

I was going to drop by today to see.. but I'll wait till the weekend if I don't hear anything sooner... I',m setting up an appointment to take macros of his vintage Rolex collection when I pick her up .. fingers and toes still crossed.. B)

I decided to let them have a go at removing the bezel that epoxied.. so it will take time.. and he said he couldn't quote me a price.. :huh:

AC

L

Well heck, you should have sent it here and I'd pop that bezel off for you. No problem, and I have a brand new pair of spectacles now so my aim is improved. :blink:

drat_i_missed.jpg

I carry a plain smaller wooden ax holder in my car for "incidentals".. :lol:

dang B.. you are the true Woodsman..

@Ubi.. yeah ma brotha.. can't friggin wait.... :thumbsupsmileyanim:..

AC

Lani