When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review of OMEGA Speedmaster "reduced"

By-Tor

title-1.jpg

I always wanted the rep of Moon Watch. How can a Omega fan live without one? A fellow member was selling his "reduced" version for a ridiculous price at TRC (due to chronograph reset problem) so I had no other choice but put him out of his misery and buy this lovely watch. Thanks my friend!!!

The chronograph resets to random positions on the dial but since I rarely use the chronos on my watches I just stopped it manually at '12 and live with it... for now. Other than that the watch is perfect and keeps excellent time. A fellow watchsmith who "killed" my BA subdial will probably do the same for this baby... and fix the stopwatch reset problem as well.

Once again, this rep is powered with Venus/Seagull hand wind movement which Ziggy has reviewed HERE.

I was going to buy the watch only for review purposes (as an addition to my Omega Guide). Some people have been asking about the "reduced" rep version and I thought I'd do a community service, just quickly review the watch and let it go after that. I thought the "reduced" version would look ridiculously small on me but I was wrong.

IMG_2161.jpg

The watch feels roughly the same size as the Sub or GMT Master, and when compared to the full sized Speedy it doesn't feel much smaller at all. This was a pleasant surprise to me, and I'm also surprised how much I like the watch! It has more rugged appearance than my "BA". Here you can see a quick comparison shot of the two:

comparison-2.jpg

My "BA hands" Speedmaster has thicker case and bracelet, plus a raised acrylic crystal which makes it look a bit "bulkier". The difference in diameter (2-3mm) isn't too dramatic as you can see from the picture.

Actually I'm happy that I got the "reduced" Speedy, since I've never seen a pictorial or review of this rep anywhere. Even among the genuine watch circles you rarely see anyone buying or reviewing this smaller version. Just like another "little brother", Tudor Mini-Sub, it's overshadowed by the bigger version... and thus it's not that desirable among the collectors. To be exact, the reduced version is not the "real" Moon Watch, because the full sized real McCoy was powered with Lemania hand wind movement... and the gen reduced Speedy comes with automatic only.

And besides, Pugwash has already reviewed the full sized rep Moon Watch. You can read about his trip to the Moon HERE.

Then to the unavoidable question: Is the "reduced" version very accurate?

The short answer is "no". Almost everything is wrong in the rep, which makes it a hybrid watch. As you can see from the following two comparison shots the appearance of the watch and the subdial spacing is almost exact. But when we take a closer examination we'll see that the running seconds and stopwatch minute counter are reversed... and the rep lacks the numeric seconds markers from 5, 10, 20, etc. And of course the problem with all Venus/SeaGull powered reps the 6'o'clock subdial is a 24 hour hand which makes the appearance wrong. The rep also has writing "PROFESSIONAL" on the dial while the genuine has text "AUTOMATIC".

Replica:

comp_rep.jpg

Genuine:

Speedmaster11.jpg

You think the flaws end here? Well, the clasp is also wrong. This rep has long push-button clasp with the writing "Speedmaster Professional" and a diver's extension clasp! The rep factory has apparently used a Seamaster clasp with this one. It's actually quite hilarious how flawed this rep is. Our most anal retentive members will probably commit a suicide after seeing this review. (Genuine clasp on the right).

comp_clasp.jpg

It also has the standard, transparent glass back (just like all other Venus/Seagull Speedys). It's inaccurate for this model (how did you guess?), but gorgeous as ever.

IMG_2238.jpg

Well, how dare I still like the watch, with all these flaws?

If I like the design, looks and "feel" of the watch I just enjoy it. It's that simple. The general appearance is very accurate and watch has quality feel of a high-end replica. It's just those minutiae hardcore WIS details that instantly give it away. The watch looks absolutely gorgeous on the wrist... and it's different enough from my "BA-hands version". And if someone asks (which most likely won't happen) I just tell them it's a hybrid. I actually HOPE that I'll run into a WIS who knows the exact details of Omega Speedmaster "reduced" in this lifetime.

This review kinda left me scratching my head. Because in the end of the day I'm not sure if this rep should be compared to the "reduced" version at all. Maybe we should see it as just another rep version of the Moon Watch? The only differences between this and the full sized rep is the bracelet, 2mm smaller diameter and the flat crystal.

Genuine "reduced" Speedmaster retails at $1800, but preowned watches can be obtained for as low as $500. So does buying the flawed rep make any sense?

No, unless you get a good deal like me. Yes, if you have smaller wrists, like the looks of this watch as it is... and find it for less than $150. But definitely go for the full sized version if you want more accurate Speedy.

Meanwhile, I'm going to enjoy my sinfully inaccurate but ah so delicious and good looking new Speedmaster!!! Omegas are such amazing watches, gens and reps. I don't think I'll ever get enough of them.

Thanks for looking (once again).

comp_ending.jpg

• Like 1

Are you sure that you aren't employed by the local Dealers here to write reviews.

A smart dealer would give By-Tor and me a free identical watch at the same time. It never happens though. :(

I'll repost what I said on RWI about this review:

This is why we look forward to By-Tor reviews. Great pics, educational text and a visible passion for the subject. Keep 'em coming.

Are you sure that you aren't employed by the local Dealers here to write reviews.

After reading this one I am ready to purchase the Speedy now. Thanks a lot.

Another GREAT review.

I'm glad I've been able to help Jeff.

You're soon broke though... you buy WAY too many watches!!! :lol:

A smart dealer would give By-Tor and me a free identical watch at the same time. It never happens though. :(

I'll repost what I said on RWI about this review:

This is why we look forward to By-Tor reviews. Great pics, educational text and a visible passion for the subject. Keep 'em coming.

Thanks Puggy. Yeah, I wouldn't mind getting "sponsored" by the dealers. Heck, I could review these beauties all day long... and receive a new watch every day. I'm such an addict. ;)

Nice review, but I'm pretty certain this in an attempt at replicating the Professional Moonwatch and not the "Reduced." Despite, the subdial spacing (which the Venus/Lemania can't get right for the Professional), everything else indicates this is a Professional Moonwatch replica.

Most notably, the word "Professional" on the dial (instead of automatic), the stick hour markers and 3-9 subdial markings are much closer to the professional. All of these are different, or absent, on the "reduced" version.

Professional Moonwatch

110393-24055.jpg

Reduced Moonwatch

110393-24056.jpg

Seems they could make a reasonable replica of the "reduced" version - yet probably do not b/c of it's reasonable price point. The killer for me has always been the display back. While many variations existed, I'd sure love to hide that obviously incorrect movement.

• Like 1

@hottoddy: Yes, I was thinking of that too. But the size of my watch is considerably smaller than the other rep. The case is also thinner.

Paul, for example, sells these both watches, and it's apparent that they come from the same factory. Why would they make this one smaller if it's not supposed to be a rep of the "reduced" version? Actually, Paul's site has pictures of this same rep, but with the numerals on the dial.

http://www.wo-mart.com/product_info.php?cP...products_id=299

The watch is a hybrid, but damn nice one at that. Although the bracelet is inaccurate it looks very good. Excellent brushed/polished stripe finish.

Hi All

Just one point that has been missed

the Moonwatch is 42mm dia

The Reduced is only 38mm and

side by side really looks substantually

smaller

As I have both originals I can guarantee this

Regards

Richard

Yep. Thanks Richard, I know that. Perhaps I just didn't point it out clearly enough in my review. I tried to say that it looks smaller, but not as small as the 38mm diameter would lead you believe. ;)

I think the diameter is 38mm.

110527-24015.jpg

Edited by By-Tor

Thank you for the review, By-Tor.

I owned one a few years ago, and reviewed it complete with pictures.

My review can be found here:

http://www.geocities.com/mtflight/OMEGA/

Another difference that you will note, is that the reduced version also has a plexiglass crystal. The rep apparently has a flat crystal which just adds to the list of innacuracies.

Actually I'm happy that I got the "reduced" Speedy, since I've never seen a pictorial or review of this rep anywhere. Even among the genuine watch circles you rarely see anyone buying or reviewing this smaller version. Just like another "little brother", Tudor Mini-Sub, it's overshadowed by the bigger version... and thus it's not that desirable among the collectors. To be exact, the reduced version is not the "real" Moon Watch, because the full sized real McCoy was powered with Lemania hand wind movement... and the gen reduced Speedy comes with automatic only.

Then to the unavoidable question: Is the "reduced" version very accurate?

The short answer is "no".

This review kinda left me scratching my head. Because in the end of the day I'm not sure if this rep should be compared to the "reduced" version at all. Maybe we should see it as just another rep version of the Moon Watch? The only differences between this and the full sized rep is the bracelet, 2mm smaller diameter and the flat crystal.

Genuine "reduced" Speedmaster retails at $1800, but preowned watches can be obtained for as low as $500. So does buying the flawed rep make any sense?

No, unless you get a good deal like me. Yes, if you have smaller wrists, like the looks of this watch as it is... and find it for less than $150. But definitely go for the full sized version if you want more accurate Speedy.

Meanwhile, I'm going to enjoy my sinfully inaccurate but ah so delicious and good looking new Speedmaster!!! Omegas are such amazing watches, gens and reps. I don't think I'll ever get enough of them.

Thanks for looking (once again).

Another difference that you will note, is that the reduced version also has a plexiglass crystal. The rep apparently has a flat crystal which just adds to the list of innacuracies.

Thanks for adding your link to this thread. Excellent review of the genuine.

Are the middle links of the bracelet all-polished? Looks that way. There's nothing done correctly on this rep... amazing. :lol:

But still... damn nice watch like I said. And just like you said too... the 38mm isn't too small at all. It's very nice option for people with smaller wrists. I have almost 8' wrist and it still looks ok... goes well with bigger wrists too. But I think I'll eventually want rep of the full sized version.

@Linder & Startibartfast: Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed it.

Edited by By-Tor

Thanks for adding your link to this thread. Excellent review of the genuine.

Are the middle links of the bracelet all-polished? Looks that way. There's nothing done correctly on this rep... amazing. :lol:

But still... damn nice watch like I said. And just like you said too... the 38mm isn't too small at all. It's very nice option for people with smaller wrists. I have almost 8' wrist and it still looks ok... goes well with bigger wrists too. But I think I'll eventually want rep of the full sized version.

@Linder & Startibartfast: Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed it.

Yes By-Tor, the middle links are all polished.

The bracelet on your rep looks much like the one on the 7750/51 versions of the Speedy, which have a sapphire crystal (domed).

The subdial spacing is a great opportunity to make more accurate "Speedy" reduced layout, including the lady version with mother of pearl and diamonds dial.

The case and bracelet (Except clasp) is a great opportunity to make 7750 versions with the counters at 12,6, 9.

It's a nice watch. The reason I sold it was to create a frankenwatch: a Day-Date-Moonphase Speedmaster, with the 7751. www.geocities.com/mtflight has pictures of the project.

Enjoy your watch!

Alex

It's a nice watch. The reason I sold it was to create a frankenwatch: a Day-Date-Moonphase Speedmaster, with the 7751. www.geocities.com/mtflight has pictures of the project.

Wow...!!! You're quite a talented fellow.

Looks excellent!!! :blink:

111712-23749.jpg

Talking about Moon Phase Speedmasters... have you seen this one? It's very nice variation of the Broad Arrow theme:

111712-23750.jpg

• 1 month later...
@hottoddy: Yes, I was thinking of that too. But the size of my watch is considerably smaller than the other rep. The case is also thinner.

Paul, for example, sells these both watches, and it's apparent that they come from the same factory. Why would they make this one smaller if it's not supposed to be a rep of the "reduced" version? Actually, Paul's site has pictures of this same rep, but with the numerals on the dial.

http://www.wo-mart.com/product_info.php?cP...products_id=299

Looks like Paul sells both dial versions now:

40mm with stick markers

40mm with numerals

I can't decide what I like better though...

P.s. Did anybody try to achieve the shiny middle links using a Dremel and/or kitchen sponge?

For those who really want the nice looking bracelet with shiny middle-links; ofrei.com offers the gen bracelet for $312,-.

Gen Omega Bracelets

Look for Speedmaster bracelet nr. 1469-811 on this page. (The gen reduced version would have a case nr. 3510.xx.xx)

Since they warn for misfits I am very curious if these ends would fit the our dealers reps' lug holes.

For those who really want the nice looking bracelet with shiny middle-links; ofrei.com offers the gen bracelet for $312,-.

Gen Omega Bracelets

Look for Speedmaster bracelet nr. 1469-811 on this page. (The gen reduced version would have a case nr. 3510.xx.xx)

Since they warn for misfits I am very curious if these ends would fit the our dealers reps' lug holes.

If it's true what some members say... that you can get the genuine reduced Speedmasters for around $500... does it make any sense to buy a $312 bracelet?

Maybe I'm wrong... but considering all this buying the rep for $250 doesn't make much sense, either. For around $100 - $140 it'd still be reasonable (just imho).

Personally, I'd go for the fullsize rep (if you have to pay the full price).

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

By Tor..

Thaniks for your great review..

I am totally new here.. yesterday I found this review and I said.. This must be the right place to ask a couple of questions..

I am not a expert in watches.. But I love Omega speedmaster since I was 8 years old..

Finally a couple of weeks ago.. I got my first genuine omega speedmaster (used)... I realized that this omega was different than others.. and I was worried it was a replica since I bouth it as a genuine one.

I did not even know that there was a reduced version.. I was just asking myself what kind of speedy I got.. because it is smaller than others.. uit has some different things I can see.. and so on...

But after a research and specially after reading this review.. I gues mine it is a speedmaster reduced... i HOPE GENUINE TOO !!

Is there a way that somebody can help me to verify authenticity in this watch..?

By tor.. is there a way you can help me?

Thanks in andvance for your help and thanks for having this forum.