When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

part vintage, part modern -- new rolex project

deltatahoe

so nanuq's post here about the vintage-style no crown guard modded sub got me thinking about a new project :g:

i'd like to build a no crown guard sub from a noobfactory LV (i like the maxi dial look for this project). i am planning on having a chieftang double AR coated crystal (no cyclops), so i'm thinking that it would probably be better to have a clarks crystal (without the crown etching). has anyone here ever tried to install a clark's crystal on a noobfactory sub?

i'm planning on installing a black insert instead of the green LV insert; i'm also going to have ziggy relume the dial, hands & pearl with the blue BG superluminova. finally, i am thinking that i would like a nice big crown on this watch. which brings me to my next question -- who has the biggest crown? :lol:

seriously, i'm not sure if a yuki brevet style crown could be installed (or if i would even want to spend that kind of money on a crown), but i'd like a nice beefy crown for this one. let me know if you have any thoughts on where to source something like that (ie. is there a cheap, crappy rep with a wrong, oversized crown?).

anyways, let me know your thoughts on this project (and any helpful advice re: my two questions re: the clarks crystal & big crown).

thanks in advance :victory:

deltatahoe

Gen-Clark crystal is 29.50mm, Noob is 29.00mm. You'll need this 0.50mm. to fit the gasket.

thanks for the info :victory:

looks like i'll have to double AR the existing crystal. i wonder what the crown etching will look like after getting AR coated :g: anybody ever had a rolex crystal with a crown etching at 6:00 double AR coated?

also, anyone have any thoughts on oversized rep crowns? i'm trying to remember which subs we used to criticize by saying the crown was too big :lol:

thanks in advance ;)

deltatahoe

delta, I think the problem with a lot of the rep crowns is that they are too "long" and I think you need one that is slightly larger in diameter, correct? If you just want an overfed 7mm crown I may have one or two (I'll have to look) as I had been planning on trimming them down in the lathe so I didn't toss 'em.

Why double AR the crystal. This is completely wrong for all Rollies.

why not? this is a fantasy watch; call it a new age bond watch. something old (no crown guard), something new (double AR crystal).

i think the double AR crystal would be an interesting element of a unique watch.

deltatahoe

delta, I think the problem with a lot of the rep crowns is that they are too "long" and I think you need one that is slightly larger in diameter, correct?

correct. i don't mind the crown being a little "long", but i'm more looking for one that is larger in diameter ;)

If you just want an overfed 7mm crown I may have one or two (I'll have to look) as I had been planning on trimming them down in the lathe so I didn't toss 'em.

i may take you up on that offer as a starting place...

thanks a bunch :victory:

deltatahoe

so nanuq's post here about the vintage-style no crown guard modded sub got me thinking about a new project :g:

i'd like to build a no crown guard sub from a noobfactory LV (i like the maxi dial look for this project). i am planning on having a chieftang double AR coated crystal (no cyclops), so i'm thinking that it would probably be better to have a clarks crystal (without the crown etching). has anyone here ever tried to install a clark's crystal on a noobfactory sub?

i'm planning on installing a black insert instead of the green LV insert; i'm also going to have ziggy relume the dial, hands & pearl with the blue BG superluminova. finally, i am thinking that i would like a nice big crown on this watch. which brings me to my next question -- who has the biggest crown? :lol:

seriously, i'm not sure if a yuki brevet style crown could be installed (or if i would even want to spend that kind of money on a crown), but i'd like a nice beefy crown for this one. let me know if you have any thoughts on where to source something like that (ie. is there a cheap, crappy rep with a wrong, oversized crown?).

anyways, let me know your thoughts on this project (and any helpful advice re: my two questions re: the clarks crystal & big crown).

thanks in advance :victory:

deltatahoe

I can't give any advice, but my thoughts on the project: Do it :tu: I'm all for custom projects :good:

hey B

something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue.

so what's the borrowed?

hmmm :g:

well the idea is borrowed from the guy on VRF that did something similar (via project X designs). but i mentioned that at the start of my post, so i'm guessing that isn't what you're referring to. perhaps jmb will let me borrow his crown? :D

deltatahoe

curious to hear what your thinking of B (nice rhyme btw)....

A thought on the crown could you not use(lot of machining here) a crown from a vintage pam the screw down rolex type or a brevet type, they are big you would need a stem addaptor to thin it down from 1.2 to 0.8 but they are no problems,

PS dont have access to the photos here but i will add a pic of the crown i mean later.

i just had another random thought: does anyone know if the crown on the gmtiic, new blue sub or DSSD larger than a standard submariner crown (i'm guessing this might be the case given the rest of the case is bigger). i should know this, but i sold my DSSD a while back (in anticipation of the better versions coming).

deltatahoe