When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New DSSD Version ~ Perfect Clones

Nope. :rolleyes: I've got two GMTs - The one in 316F is different in every way Lani describes. Much much brighter when compared and closer if not spot on the real thing. :good:

I haven't got the photo skills or equipment to show but there is a remarkable difference in appearance.

I just pulled the trigger on another DSSD because of this brilliant review. :p

yes, you cannot change the colour of the steel by the finish.. you can bring out more sheen in the 316F by using a more satin brush finish.. but if the colour isn't there .. it will shine like the V3 in the comparison.

Ive taken a cape code cloth to the 316F.. and polished it aggressively.. it really has not made that much of a difference.. to my eyes anyway.. leading me to believe even more that the colour and brightness, ergo sheen is in the steel and not in the finish :thumbsupsmileyanim:

AC/Lani

yes, you cannot change the colour of the steel by the finish.. you can bring out more sheen in the 316F by using a more satin brush finish.. but if the colour isn't there .. it will shine like the V3 in the comparison.

I

ve taken a cape codcloth to the 316F.. and polished it aggressively.. it really has not made that much of a diference.. to my eyes anyway.. leading me to believe even more that the colour and brightness, ergo sheen is in the steel and not in the finish :thumbsupsmileyanim:

AC/Lani

Shorter: you can't polish a turd :D

The more I read about Joshua's competition for a similar version and all the issues people are having with them, the more inclined I am to purchase this from Perfect Clones. OK. After a great deal of consideration, this is the one I'm going to go with. I love the dial and the 316F has sold me! Thanks to Lanikai for the incredible amount of time he spent reviewing this and the work he's put into a thorough comparison of the 3 stainless steels.

-Andrew, "Koolaid Drinker." :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Chris I see that Josh is now offering this with an ETA movement as an option when purchasing.

good news ! for the same price too :) don't forget to click on this option before

ordering ;) i had nothing but trouble with Asia movements so far ...

cheers,

Frank

Do anyone have know if the cases and parts of the ET v5.xx DSSD and the new "Ultimate" is interchangeable?

If so I wonder if I should source a 316F case to change the 316L case from the v5.xx. That would be one hell of a nice watch I think.

But I have heard some rumors that the clone 3135 is different from the normal movements in size? Anyone?

Guest techlogik

Do anyone have know if the cases and parts of the ET v5.xx DSSD and the new "Ultimate" is interchangeable?

If so I wonder if I should source a 316F case to change the 316L case from the v5.xx. That would be one hell of a nice watch I think.

But I have heard some rumors that the clone 3135 is different from the normal movements in size? Anyone?

One way to find out...buy it and try it...haha...

If it doesn't work, sell the one you don't want and recoup the cost.

If it's the same factory, don't see why it wouldn't be interchangeable. Also, the 3135 copy should work, it is just a dressed up asian 2836...and that is interchangeable with the Swiss one.

good news ! for the same price too :) don't forget to click on this option before

ordering ;) i had nothing but trouble with Asia movements so far ...

cheers,

Frank

Frank I know i was going back and fourth with josh last night! then he told me they had a swiss movt now i purchases the watch last night after i posted my comment!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

what a great review thanks a lot friend :thumbsupsmileyanim:

thank you for the kind words.. the DSSd is getting more wrist time than I initially thought it would.. still keeping time with my serviced eta's .. good shtuff B)

I think I need to take some pics of the glide lock clasp to add to the review..

AC/Lani

Just an FYI.. the "glidelock" bracelet is nothing new.. in fact Rolex wasn't the first with this design.. it was designed by the same brand that Rolex got the He valve from.

I'll post pics of the original mechanism on one of my vintage brands and review the glidelock on the DSSD after I get back from shopping :D

have a good day all B)

AC/Lani

Just like IWC's quick release system is actually Cartier's patent. :rolleyes:

Rolex does not come out and state the He valve is another brands brain child but it is a part of Doxa History..

I'll be shooting for about 30 to 40 minutes.. I'll have the glide lock posted soon .

Please excuse my detailed "lack" of posting the great replication of the glide lock clasp system for the DSSD.. it was not out of neglect.. I reviewed it with the V1 many months ago.. but it certainly deserves to be part of this review :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I will post it here and again redundantly with the initial review, then delete from this post when it warrants deleting and have it remain on the original posted review.

To start the review of the glide lock clasp I would be re-missed if I did not mention the original ratcheting clasp belong to DOXA.. it was a novel idea (as stated in Doxa History) to create a clasp that wanted to create "easy use" of the Doxa dive watch by making it easy to adapt to the diameter of the wrist with or without a wet suit.

As if any of you have worn a long sleeve wet suit can attest to .. you cannot put on a divers watch that is sized to your wrist over your suit.

this is the Doxa "Flex buckle" clasp

in a closed position

glidelock010.jpg

Fully opened

glidelock009.jpg

the inside view fully extended

glidelock001.jpg

.. you could slip on the watch fully extended and simply slide the extension through the ratchets, and fasten the clasp.. easy

glidelock011.jpg

So you know a very long time ago Doxa engineered the "Flex Bracelet", as they referred to it. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

But now to the DSSD "Glide Lock" clasp.. very similar in design, in that a ratcheting system was used .. but a bit more heavily armoured than the Doxa..

I'll start off by emphasizing the the length of the clasp not only for the functioning of the glide lock but as a stable balance to the weight and bulk of the watch.. again proving this to be a tool watch and not one so much for aesthetics.

See how it covers practically my whole wrist.. a good base for the DSSD's bulk... without the base the watch would flop around on top of your wrist

glidelock051.jpg

In relationship to the rest of the bracelet a good part of the bracelet is the clasp

glidelock016.jpg

So let's get to how this beast works

open the safety lock and click up the lever and you release the extension from the locking mechanism

and slide the extension out of the clasp, it is fully extended in this pic.

glidelock053.jpg

glidelock017.jpg

A side view of the released ratcheting system, each ratchet represents one click of adjustment..

Or to be more exact roughly 2mm per click, give or take a hundredth of a mm .. or about 8 working clicks..

glidelock021.jpg

open lever.. unlike the Doxa clasp the glide Lock needs to be adjusted before depressing the lever, thus locking it..

glidelock031.jpg

glidelock024.jpg

An inside view of the fully closed position, quite a bit more engineering in the clasp than meets the eye.

glidelock030.jpg

close up of the ratchets

glidelock028.jpg

In the fully open position on the wrist

I take it on and off with the extension in the close position.. but on some day's where my wrist are bigger.. after the gym.. high sodium food day's this extension comes in handy.. it's very easy to take the DSSD off, as well as put on

glidelock052.jpg

glidelock055.jpg

a view of the lettering of the clasp

glidelock037.jpg

glidelock039.jpg

glidelock044.jpg

The entire mechanism on the Ultimate is very well made.. warning the DSSD V3 glide lock failed in it's attempt..

actually the V1 is the best out of previous versions, before the "Ultimate"

But the ultimate DSSD is very well done no sharp edges and performs well

glidelock046.jpg

glidelock047.jpg

glidelock056.jpg

One final note on the clasp .. you may think it would be bulbous in it's girth.. not really,..it's nicely compact for such a beast

glidelock058.jpg

glidelock057.jpg

AC/Lani

dssdreview074.jpg

lanikai,

Its because of you and your awesome review I ordered the watch...the ultimate i hope is everything you say it is and more....i chose the swiss movt...so i cant wait to get the watch... :clapping:

thank you Chris.. I'm glad I can contribute to the community as many others do..

the V3 was so not done right ..I wore a Zulu strap with it.. I could of used my V1 which was better but ahh.. now it's all good..

AC/Lani

My V3 will suffice untill they fix the 10 and perfect the date window. I looked at E-Bay's Gen.DSSD's and you can tell the diff. between the SS on my V3 and the Gen. and new rep., but since I love my V3, there is not enough reason to jump now IMOP.

Thanks, Lani for the great review though!

You said it all bund

"as long as your happy" that's all that really counts with our hobby.. I'll swap the dial and insert on my V3 and have another great DSSD.. throw in the bracelet from my V1 on my V3 and I'm gtg with that one..

Thank you B

AC/Lani

Great review and pics, Lankai. I have been waiting a long time for them to get this piece right, but it still does not look as my expectations, compared to the gen. The best thing would be a bezel from the ET V5, a gen ETA2836-2 and use the rest from PC newest model.

I will not pay nearly 400USD for a model with wrong bezel inlays and asian clone 3135. I do not understand how they can charge ETA price for a model with asian clone, which is basically just a modified Asian 2836. And it does not look anything like a gen Rolex 3135, I have seen pics. So what's the point?