When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New DSSD ~ Follow up 316F steel

lanikai

Ok so we've compared basically the 316 steel to my gen. Explorer .. mainly the bracelets.. I took images of the case sets of my new DSSD from Perfect Clones and compared it with my gens.

As state before .. whatever metal is in the rep. case set and bracelet ..IMO.. it "visually".. looks great in comparison to the color and texture of the genuine Rolex steel.. if you were to take it side by side into a test for depth .. no doubt the rep will not hold up.. as was done on a professional test by a member a couple of years ago.. that's why Rolex' claim to have conquered the Sea, stands tall..we won't get into Doxa.. :whistling: ..having been the "first" with an He valve..

anyway I digress .. here are some images in an assortment of lighting.

This first image has the most light from left to right.. the Exp.(gen) getting the most light and the GMTII(gen) getting the least with the DSSD in the middle as far as light and ceiling reflection

dssdreview141.jpg

this was taken under a little more controlled lighting with a studio lamp.

dssdreview144h.jpg

Max natural lighting with optimum exposure

dssdreview143.jpg

Lower natural light with less exposure

dssdreview146.jpg

the metal on the Exp. has been refinished, but a example of the quality of Rolex Steel.. from the 70's

dssdreview148.jpg

strange set up .. just for visual effect to get them as close together as possible

dssdreview150.jpg

dssdreview152.jpg

dssdreview154.jpg

The 316f steel looks like a winner in the case set also.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I agree 100% It's amazing to me that people can see this but not be convinced that there's a difference. I don't get it. Then they argue that you have to send it out to a lab to tell the difference. I've made 316F my first requirement to selecting a Rolex rep. If it's not made with it, I'm not interested. Your review of the Perfect Clone version of the DSSD saved me from making more mistakes trying to piece together a V3, a project that has been dropped in favor of the 316F DSSD. Thanks for taking the time to put these together, your time and effort are greatly appreciated Sir.

Guest techlogik

More great SH&T lanikai...great photos. It certainly has great visual appeal and holds up next to the gens.

But I am still going to play devil's advocate...until I see a metallurgy test, it isn't 316F....haha..

More great SH&T lanikai...great photos. It certainly has great visual appeal and holds up next to the gens.

But I am still going to play devil's advocate...until I see a metallurgy test, it isn't 316F....haha..

it's ok techlo-lo.. every forum needs at lest one of youz... what eva youz are. :lol:

They are VERY nice indeed...the metal looks great. I was just looking at one of those at the rep supply house in Shenzhen China today, and I was amazed. Of course, with the gen being Ti, it really is MUCH heavier. Hey..and just looking at your gen EXPII, the one I picked up yesterday ain't too shabby..

apt087.jpg

apt091.jpg

apt088.jpg

apt090.jpg

apt093.jpg

apt085.jpg

Ok so we've compared basically the 316 steel to my gen. Explorer .. mainly the bracelets.. I took images of the case sets of my new DSSD from Perfect Clones and compared it with my gens.

As state before .. whatever metal is in the rep. case set and bracelet ..IMO.. it "visually".. looks great in comparison to the color and texture of the genuine Rolex steel.. if you were to take it side by side into a test for depth .. no doubt the rep will not hold up.. as was done on a professional test by a member a couple of years ago.. that's why Rolex' claim to have conquered the Sea, stands tall..we won't get into Doxa.. :whistling: ..having been the "first" with an He valve..

anyway I digress .. here are some images in an assortment of lighting.

This first image has the most light from left to right.. the Exp.(gen) getting the most light and the GMTII(gen) getting the least with the DSSD in the middle as far as light and ceiling reflection

dssdreview141.jpg

this was taken under a little more controlled lighting with a studio lamp.

dssdreview144h.jpg

Max natural lighting with optimum exposure

dssdreview143.jpg

Lower natural light with less exposure

dssdreview146.jpg

the metal on the Exp. has been refinished, but a example of the quality of Rolex Steel.. from the 70's

dssdreview148.jpg

strange set up .. just for visual effect to get them as close together as possible

dssdreview150.jpg

dssdreview152.jpg

dssdreview154.jpg

The 316f steel looks like a winner in the case set also.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Lani,

What year is your Exp II from? Mine was from 1994. Reason I ask is that your bracelet appears to be the same color as your case in your photos while mine was slightly different.

Gav..my genuine 16570 is from a 70's vintage ..

Is your bracelet darker, or the case, regarless it may be oxidation, easy fix.. cape code will remove the oxidation or if you want to go all out a refinishing with a jewelers buffing wheel and satin finishing wheel..

the worse case scenario, is to check out the authenticity of your bracelet if that is the part that is discolored.. as the genuine Rolex 904 does not oxidize to the point of discoloration.. at least mine does not have this effect.. but I know looking at my explorer the ss was re-polished professionally.

hope that helps

AC/L

Are you sure the Exp II is from the 70's? 16570's were not introduced till 1989. Mine was definately of two different types of stainless. The case and the bracelet. When I got it, it had just been returned from Rolex NY so it was in perfect condition. I can't find any good photos of it though before I sold it.

Are you sure the Exp II is from the 70's? 16570's were not introduced till 1989. Mine was definately of two different types of stainless. The case and the bracelet. When I got it, it had just been returned from Rolex NY so it was in perfect condition. I can't find any good photos of it though before I sold it.

it's 70's but one thing I am terrible at is remembering the model numbers.. serious problem in this hobby.. :lol:

AC/Lani

Lani,

It can't be a 70's. The McQueen 1655 was introduced in the 70's. The white dial ExpII didn't come out till 1985 with the 16550 (they are the ones that have the dials that turn creme with age). When they went to the new movement (3135???) in 1989 they switched to the 16570 reference. The 16570 has the 904L stainless cases. 16550 has the older 316 cases.

The first Rolex with 904 stainless case was the 168000 which was out in 1987 and it still had a 316 caseback. Only the mid case was 904.

this is one reference.. I have the box and papers stored.. I should dig them out.. did late 80 still have the vintage lugs ??

Brand: Rolex Dial Color: White

Series: Explorer Bracelet/Strap: Steel

Model Number: 16570 Clasp Type: Oysterlock

Size: Large Power Reserve: 50 hours

Case Material: Steel Water Resistance: 100 meters/330 feet

Case Dimensions: 40mm diameter

Case Thickness: 12mm Limited Edition: -

Crystal: -

this comes from another Rolex site, listing the 16570 as the white dial and the 16550 as the cream coloured dial that was a defect from manufacturing by Rolex..I found multiple references for this info.. :g:

Reference Numbers: 16570, 16550

BT could clear this one up fo sure, or TMG..

my model is the same as this one..>Here

I am probably wrong with the year.. my numbers are getting seriously messed up..since my little episode in July..

Hey, welcome to the forum- no need to quote a huge post when making a comment. I point this out because there maybe some members who have low bandwidth connections and it just makes it harder for them.................. OK, I'm really mentioning this because it's annoying. :)

Hey, welcome to the forum- no need to quote a huge post when making a comment. I point this out because there maybe some members who have low bandwidth connections and it just makes it harder for them.................. OK, I'm really mentioning this because it's annoying. :)

:rofl: :rofl:

. :yawn: .. ok time to get some rest.. :yeah:

this is one reference.. I have the box and papers stored.. I should dig them out.. did late 80 still have the vintage lugs ??

this comes from another Rolex site, listing the 16570 as the white dial and the 16550 as the cream coloured dial that was a defect from manufacturing by Rolex..I found multiple references for this info.. :g:

Reference Numbers: 16570, 16550

BT could clear this one up fo sure, or TMG..

my model is the same as this one..>Here

I am probably wrong with the year.. my numbers are getting seriously messed up..since my little episode in July..

Yep, earlier 16570 had the older lugs. Mine did as well. Wasn't till around 2001 I think that they went with the new lug style.

The 16550 creame's were originally white dials but when they aged they went to a creame finish. The bezels are also different on the 16550 then the 16570. Mine was just like the one in the link as well. Here's a bad picture of the one that I owned from 1994.

IMG_2354.jpg

You can just make out that the case is a bit darker then the bracelet due to the 904 case vs. the 316 bracelet. Same as the one in the link you posted and your's.

Lugs Schmugs!!

I own 5 genuine Rollies as well and many of you prob know more technical stats than I could imagine. I just love owning them and knowing if this Obamany completely tanks, I could eat fillet for a year with them before salsbury steak. But I have allowed myself to go to the darkside with this Deep Sea version based on my bro Lani's recommendation. I actually also ordered a new Rolex clone 3135 Sub as well basically because Rex wanted one as well to discect and compare with a genuine Rolex 3135 movement and do a write up. As soon as I got my sub I sold it because I didn't want to become attached to it/ And I already own two gens. But the steel looked and felt the same as that on my Gen LV. Better weight too in comparison with a BK sub I sold for a friend a couple months back. Scary really. Anyhow I will be keeping the Rolex Clone Deepsea and I am dying to get it. This is the first package I have ever ordered from Andrew that has taken more than a week and it's killing me!!!!

Thanks to Lani for the recommendation, again!!

:lol: ,.. yeah T.. I always get mixed up with the model numbers :rolleyes:

I'm glad I can just call this my "fat lady"

genuinerolexs005.jpg

regarding the movement.. it will not "fool" the Horologist .. for me it is a matter of keeping good time and not being problematic.. my DSSD and Milgauss Rolex clones have been keeping spot on time with my computer and genuine models.. and feels very good though the crown.. so I am pleased with them..

Enjoy your DSSD T. .. and I'm glad I could be of service :D

AC/Lani

Yup if you wanna go over to the geek and check out Rex's write up he points out that though it wouldn't fool an horologist it could definately potentially fool a jeweler or pawn shop which is the true scary problem.

Thanks Lan

Lugs Schmugs!!

I own 5 genuine Rollies as well and many of you prob know more technical stats than I could imagine. I just love owning them and knowing if this Obamany completely tanks, I could eat fillet for a year with them before salsbury steak. But I have allowed myself to go to the darkside with this Deep Sea version based on my bro Lani's recommendation. I actually also ordered a new Rolex clone 3135 Sub as well basically because Rex wanted one as well to discect and compare with a genuine Rolex 3135 movement and do a write up. As soon as I got my sub I sold it because I didn't want to become attached to it/ And I already own two gens. But the steel looked and felt the same as that on my Gen LV. Better weight too in comparison with a BK sub I sold for a friend a couple months back. Scary really. Anyhow I will be keeping the Rolex Clone Deepsea and I am dying to get it. This is the first package I have ever ordered from Andrew that has taken more than a week and it's killing me!!!!

Thanks to Lani for the recommendation, again!!

Hey Tanya,

You'll have to keep me posted on how it looks compared to the one I bought from you and Rex last week. I'm already getting itchy for this one, although I am delighted with this one after a quick spitshine.

Jack

Will do if it shows up.I had actaully planned on sending you an email with a pic when i get it. I always stress out when the tracking goes kablooey from the Cartel boys!