When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Does the V5 DSSD have a "real" Trip-Lock?

jmb

The post about the DSSD case back opener got me up off my butt to try my new adjustable case back opener. I had been wanting to epoxy the He valve closed on this so I figured now was as good a time as any. Even with the "tool" I almost gave up but it finally broke loose. Absolutely dry case back O-ring, not that I was surprised. I pulled the movement and put a couple drops of "5 minute epoxy" down the hole while actuating the valve - shouldn't have to worry about that sucker leaking!

It also gave me the opportunity to find a pretty good compromise between the dial and rehaut engraving so really the only "zit" left is the crooked 6:00 marker. Someday I'll try fixing that unless ETZ starts handing out replacement dials.

I greased the external tube O-ring, the little O-ring in the crown, and was going to grease the internal tube seal and I did not see one! I couldn't even see a groove for the O-ring. Makes me a bit apprehensive about the water resistance of this build, or did I just get a "boo-boo"?

Next time somebody has their crown/stem removed on their V5 take a look and see if you have an O-ring hiding inside the crown tube and let me know...

This is why people install gen/aftermarket parts- then you know you have all of the seals. A real 24-7030 case tube has two o-ring seals in it, the crown has one at the base of the stem/crown cap and there is the one on the exterior at the base of the case tube. So it's really a quad lock system! But Rolex never changed the name- the 24-702 crown and tube assembly was the first trip-lock assembly- two in the tube and one on the crown- none at the exterior of the tube.

Your deal will probably still work, to 50 or 100m, maybe.

I always figured the seal, internal of the tube, was more a 'dust/moisture as humidity' seal when the crown was unscrewed for settings rather than a 'water' seal. In Gio's pics seal #1 is the frontline for pressure. If water evaded seals 1&2? Water intrusion imminent even if seal #3 was present. As 'alligoat' remarked, you're probably good to go for swimming, bathing etc. Still, it would be preferable to have it J. I would imagine.

I greased the external tube O-ring, the little O-ring in the crown, and was going to grease the internal tube seal and I did not see one! I couldn't even see a groove for the O-ring. Makes me a bit apprehensive about the water resistance of this build, or did I just get a "boo-boo"?

I have and still have watches with only one seal and no screw down crown pass a 10bar test so as long as the seals that you do have are in good order then it should be water tight enough, but if you are going to get it wet then have it tested first

I rarely wear it but I occasionally forget to take off the watch when I get into the shower half asleep so I try to make sure anything I might wear overnight is greased. That's about the only thing I'm worried about... I was just a bit taken aback that this higher-end casework looked to be missing something that even the majority of my cheapie Subs have!