When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Where can I get a good Explorer I 1016 to start a project?

crockey

If you are plannning on modding your 1016 with gen parts or at least an after market crystal you need the MBK 1016 to start.

here is mine:

exploreriproject016.jpg

exploreriproject012.jpg

A T22 acrylic crystal will not fit in anything but an MBK.. I have my 1016 up North being worked on by the Masta right now.. to swap a gilt 1016 dial and hands.. and a Tropic22 (Clark) xtal swap..

The MBK is pricey but will accept the gen or clark Tropic22 where as I have the understanding that other reps won't..

even with reps .. you get what you pay for..

hope that helps your search

AC/Lani

edit add: this is the dial that will be going on my 1016.. the research shows that this era dial was gloss.

293361591o.jpg

MBK is through eurotimez..

check our Watch International.. they are new here and have a growing trust in securing the proper watch at an affordable price .. they will send you a pic of the watch they are sending for your approval, ask for her to look and see what she can come up with.. you can use my pic to send her for reference.. it may not be an MBK (they are priced over 350 usd)

Watch International...or Perfect/Trusty are your options..if your not particular about modding your 1016 after purchase.

AC/Lani

I don't see MBK on Eurotimez website either. Can you post a link? Or do I have to contact through email to order a MBK? Also, can you tell me what the reference numbers are for the:

1. Crown and tube

2. Endlinks

3. Bracelet

4. Movement

I will do a search and look, but if you know off hand, it might save a little time :victory:

The MBK 1016 was a special order that I made with Chris..

unless you know someone living in Thailand or going to visit there.. where you could get the MBK for a very good price.. I heard the guy is like the "Soup Nazi" though :lol:

I wouldn't bother with the genuine reference numbers.. the gen explorers of this era go on auction at such Houses as Sooth-beys (sic) and Christi's (sic).. your not going to find MBK on the net other than ordering it from Chris or a contact in Thailand.

you gotta email Eurotimez.. if you want to add more gen. parts like the crystal and a better dial.. gotta go MBK... there are others I think but they are considerably more than MBK.

with chris out of the loop in traveling to Bangkok himself .. I dunno what the status is with Eurotimez MBK orders anymore.. it used to be a dealer would take our orders go to the MBK shop on the weekend and that is how we ordered them.. I have no idea what is the procedure for MBK's vintage Rolex now..

I got mine a long time ago and have been holding on to it for the upgrades..

try emailing eurotimez..see what they say..

good luck..

keep us ported on your progress.. :)

AC/Lani

You can also use a genuine Rolex 162XX series case.

A genuine T22 snaps on the case with a nice fit. You can use a 16200 smooth bezel, but the ID will have to be enlarged slightly to fit over the larger diameter T22.

Drill the lugholes to fit the 2mm spring bars and you will have a very nice starting point. A genuine dial with fit the case as well.

The 162XX series case will have a 5.3mm case tube, but you will not notice this when the crown is screwed down. You could tap the case to fit the old style 6mm tube, but really no point.

also a genuine 1570 with the date module removed will fit in the case. Or you could modify a 2824-2 to be slow beat, remove the date function, and you will have a great 1016.

good luck.

It seems to never be easy to find the parts that I want/need :rolleyes: Why is is that all the great 1:1 parts (Palp, FGD, Eddie Lee, MBK) are either no longer made or hard to find? Anyway.............

My plan was to get the MBK, drill the lugs, and either get a Clarks or Tropic crystal and put it on a Nato, or get a rivet bracelet from Yuki. I guess I will email Chris and see what he can find for me.

You can also use a genuine Rolex 162XX series case.

A genuine T22 snaps on the case with a nice fit. You can use a 16200 smooth bezel, but the ID will have to be enlarged slightly to fit over the larger diameter T22.

So the case in the below link will work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Authentic-ROLEX-Oyster-Ref-16233-DATEJUST-MenSS-CASE_W0QQitemZ260519614243QQcmdZViewItemQQptZWristwatches?hash=item3ca82dd723#ht_4932wt_1167

It's a shame that Narikaa doesn't carry that 1016 anymore; it was definitely the best at that price point. Nevertheless, you still might want to give Reg a try the next time he's in Thailand. He was open to the idea of getting me an MBK 1016 a few months ago, but I decided to take a somewhat cheaper route.

I may still get an MBK in the future, as it's really the best 1016 rep out of the box. The shape of the MBK case is very close to the genuine article, which I recently had the chance to examine closely. Most striking are the softly curving and smoothed lugs, in contrast to the harder edges of the Datejust-based reps. These aren't features that you'll notice from a couple of feet away, but they are comforting to obsessive types! The MBK dial is also one of the best, though some (well, one guy on another forum) have complained about sloppy application of the indices.

The case will work, but it has no bezel and the bezels aren't easy to find by themselves, in my experience.

Watch International just quoted me $198 for ETA MKB 1016. I know the price on the MBK is usually around $350, so I am a little suspect about this being a true MBK. I sent a reply asking if it is, in fact, a MBK as I specified in my original email. What do you guys think?

I have also heard back from Chris at Eurotimez, and he said he can source a MBK 1016 for me. Waiting to hear about the price on this.

See what Chris comes up with....the MBK unless you go Stilty's route will except the t22 .. if your not concerned about modding parts.. ask Mary to send you a pic.. I'm sure you can always swap an eta .. or if she caqn source an eta..

seems like those are your 2 options.. .. interested in what the price for the MBK's are ..since it's dropped on some of the vintage subs..

MBKs are always expensive and always over $300, I wonder what they cost from the actual store in MBK

see my friend from highschool now lives and works in Thailand for at least the next few years but refuses to co-operate in going to MBK for me. This , as you can guess is FRUSTRATING! But since the Polfy cases are going extinct for the new NON gen moddable ones im not sure if I should really care :p However he invited me there since he runs the resort and can get me 1/3 off the package price, so who knows, maybe i'll go in January...any requests?