When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My "el cheapo" GMT project finally finished... almost!

omegaunit

After waiting almost a month for my dials to arrive from Eurotimez, then finding out they are no longer available, I decided to assemble the watch anyway.

I didn't want to spend too much so I used aftermarket parts designed to fit a gen Rolex GMT.

Watch from Watcheden

Aftermarket bezel & insert

Aftermarket 116 crystal

Aftermarket 2mm spring bars

Total= $220

The most difficult task was attaching the aftermarket bezel to the case. I machined the original bezel that came with the watch and press fit the aftermarket bezel onto it.

I also machined the case where the crystal fits .035" deeper and removed approx. .030" from the back of the crystal.

Drilled out the lugholes to accept the aftermarket spring bars.

Installed it on G10 nato strap for fun.

Here are some quick pics.

gmtfront.jpg

gmtside.jpg

gmtwrist.jpg

Wow... that's a cool one.

One of the nicest 1675 reps I've seen. You managed to find a GREAT aftermarket insert. 1675 has very characteristic fonts and colors. Red should be darker and more "maroonish" than on 16710 and your watch nails it.

Congrats!

PS: The gen 1675 uses a 5.3mm crown. If it wouldn't leave gaps inside the crown guards it could be a nice addition.

Thank you all for your comments.

@By-Tor

I measured the crown, its 6.1mm. I may look into changing someday. Thanks for the info.

Now all I need is a dial. Anybody have an idea where I can get one? I know the Yukiwatch GMT dial is meant for a gen, I was thinking of making a rehaut spacer to accommodate the smaller dial diameter.