When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Datewheel overlay sources

Brightight

What sources are there for Rolex Datewheel overlays, black on white, preferably but not essentially open 6 and 9? I need a couple of these and apart from cubicworks (which despite the pic on their site are not open 6 and 9) and apparently Stilty is/has done some work on these, but he is not answering PM's at the moment, I'm up against a blank wall. If worst comes to worst I'll go with cubicworks but I thought I'd check in case anyone had better alternatives.

Open 6's and 9's are hard to come by. The chinese have largely quit making them and updated. You still see them on some of the cheap reps- don't know if you could rob one from a cheap a21j or not.

Ironically, I think Rolex doesn't carry those old DW's either for the most part- my gen 16800 which was serviced by Rolex in the late 90's w/ a new dial, hands and DW had the closed 6's and 9's (bad date mag to boot because of smaller fonts). Luckily I was able to find an old DW for not too much money- under $100 installed.

I had one that I was wanting to put on a project 1680, however The watchmaker who is doing some work on the watch, told me that the datewheel is too thick and interferes with the bottom of the dial face. he wouldn't put it on as it would be a futile attempt with lots of problems. mine is paper, and seemed to be a little thick. It would seem that someone could come up with one that is made of Mylar or some type of thin but strong film that would be slimmer and not be a problem.

Arthur

I have some of Stilty's waterslide decals and silver overlay blanks. PM me if interested. They are Open 6 & 9, Flat 3's for 2836's. You can also, apply these over the stock datewheel if you strip the paint thus revealing a silver background.