When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Old Beaters

alligoat

People are always wondering how to get into this hobby with a decent rep for not too much money. The easiest way is to buy a cheap rep, make a few mods yourself and go with it. It's not perfection, but it can be a good daily beater. Here's a few of mine as examples.

I bought the 5513 from Paul back in 2006 for $139. It came with a Swiss eta and a good hollow mid link bracelet.

W2089.jpg

I trimmed the crown guards, reset the case tube, glued the crystal down and reinstalled the tension ring, and siliconed the seals. WR in the swimming pool!

Next I bought two of the all acrylic pearls from one of the dealers over in Hong Kong. The cool thing was I was able to pop out the original pearl w/ the metal surround and just pop in the acrylic pearl- amazingly it fit.

It didn't take long before I became tired of the 3-6-9 dial- the hue was just a little too green for my taste and I couldn't figure out how to change it to the gold color it was supposed to be. I found a decent 5513 aftermarket dial on the bay for $125 and since it was the same 26-27mm size as the rep dial, it was easy for my watchmaker to install it- cut off the dial feet and glue the dial to the top ring of the movement- $20 and 10 minutes. A little over $300 spent total on the watch.

P1000193.jpg

5513 on the left, Paul's DRSD on the right.

The DRSD is cheaper yet- bought in 2005 w/ a Swiss eta (ah, $139, those were the good old days!) new pearl, trim the cg's, drill the lugholes. I stole the 93150 band off of it for another project. It has the working HE valve- a great copy of the original, IMO. With the $25 pearl, I've got $164 in the watch. Unfortunately now days, I've mainly got my eyes on the Swiss eta w/ the silver datewheel (open 6's and 9's).

M what do you recommend as a good vintage sub project? The more that I look at these vintage subs the more I like them.

Vintage is definitely an appreciation which creeps up on you :tu: I guess it depends what era you're considering 'vintage'... Personally, I love the watches of the 1970s, so the 1680 is one of my firm favorites, but, for true Rolex vintage, the no crown-guard Submariners (I forget the model numbers) are also fantastic. The cases are slimmer and curved on the side, so none of the hard edges to the case of the cases from the 70s and onwards... I guess it's all just a matter of personal taste :) I really wanted a 3-6-9 dial, but since I got one, it hasn't spoken to me as much as I had thought it might. That's not to say I don't like the 3-6-9 dial, I just don't like it as much as I thought I would :lol:

M what do you recommend as a good vintage sub project? The more that I look at these vintage subs the more I like them.

For a really good vintage project, I'd still spend the $400 and get an MBW/MBK from Eurotimez w/ the verified eta. 5513/5512/1680/1665. Hopefully everything would work out OK, even if the cases aren't as good as they used to be.

The problem w/ my two CN reps from Paul is they have their own dimensions- no gen/aftermarket parts fit that I've found other than a crown and tube which you can put in any Sub rep- might have to run a 2.65mm drill bit thru the case hole first then tap it, but you can install a gen crown/tube in anyone of these watches.

TeeJay I like the 1970's as well. I was thinking of a 1680 or a 1665. I just do not know what direction to go in.

Alligoat beat me to the punch :lol: Both fine watches, just pretty much a matter of the fine detail between them :) If I wasn't wearing a 79190 Tudor, I would probably be wearing a 1680, but that's just me :)

my plan would be to buy the old version 5513 case from ET $165 +dial $65 or yukis version $160 (both dials are incorrect looking, it's the "submariner" font that kills it on the MBK) +21j asian movement w/hands $10 since you want slow beat anyways (they can be accurate movements) and date change is NOT important, tropic crystal from Clarks $20-$30, Insert and remove the garbage pearl leaving it missing $25, throw it on a nato strap for that classic bond look $20. proper springbars $10 ,age the insert and hands , drill the lugs, and trim the CGs and scratch it up a little yourself. $FREE

awesomeness for $320 and a fun creative project

Another alternative if your patient, is to keep looking at the Sales forums on all the rep forums.fairly often an old MBW will show up, some have had a few mods, some none at all. you have a very good base to start your mod project, or to finish one that has been partially done. i picked up a White letter MBW 1680 a few weeks ago w/genuine crown/tube, genuine crystal and good aftermarket insert for a little over 300.00 USD. I can now put on a genuine dial, hands and with the slow beat movement that's going in it, i have a really nice 1680. So thare are lots of ways to get a nice reliable daily wearer.

Arthur