When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Explorer 1016 Gilt Dial project completed

lanikai

Beautiful, Lani. :good: The Yuki bracelet makes it pop.

1 thing you might consider - I think the bezel needs to be sanded & then polished to make it look vintage/restored. As it is, that is the only part that catches my mind's eye (in a bad way) when I look at your watch. But this is a very minor quibble on an otherwise nearly faultless work of art.

Beautiful, Lani. :good: The Yuki bracelet makes it pop.

1 thing you might consider - I think the bezel needs to be sanded & then polished to make it look vintage/restored. As it is, that is the only part that catches my mind's eye (in a bad way) when I look at your watch. But this is a very minor quibble on an otherwise nearly faultless work of art.

Thank you Freddy.. smooth out the bezel edges?? that wouldn't be a problem, actually I could just do it with a dremel and green rouge.. the bottom edge of the bezel is rather sharp for a vintage..

I am pleased though with the dial.. Yuki is not usually so accurate with their dials.. good.. better than the MBK IMO.. but this 1016 is one of their better ones ..imo..

the bracelet was a challenge to get on.. pity the vintage bars won't fit in the lugs..

smooth out the bezel edges?? that wouldn't be a problem, actually I could just do it with a dremel and green rouge.. the bottom edge of the bezel is rather sharp for a vintage..

I guess you could do that, too. But I was referring mostly to the surface texture of the bezel, which does not look gen. After sanding/re-polishing, it ought to look about right.

the bracelet was a challenge to get on.. pity the vintage bars won't fit in the lugs..

Yes, I wish they would fix those springbar holders already.

It's utterly gorgeous on the riveted, Lani. My one nit about your watch is that the springbars you've used are too long, causing the ends of the pivots to poke out of the lugholes. Although you will find gens being sold with this look, the bars ought to be shorter and the bar tips should be recessed.

Visually, I'd say you've got the best 1016 rep around. Stilty gets extra points for his thorough modding of the movement and for being two years ahead of the curve, but that great MBK case makes yours very, very difficult to distinguish from the gens. Marvelous work.

the vintage spring bars don't fit in the Yuki 7026 end links..so I had to use the slimmer bars... maybe a gen bracelet at some point and time..

Stilty is still the "One".. imo.. he does some incredible overlays and other mods on his own.. I am just fortunate to get Magic of Ziggy to do mine.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The watch is absolutely stunning on the rivet bracelet Lani! How about some new wristi's on the new bracelet??? Definitely a new favorite watch for me! Always a fan of the original Explorer, and this one is a prime example! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

You got it.. tomorrow..of all the gilt dials that Yuki has, this may be the most accurate

Yuki's 5512 4 line gilt is incorrect.. I am forced to go with the ND on that upcoming project.. there is something about the gilt dials that captivate my eye's..I guess it adds to the vintage look.

I wonder if brushing some battery acid on the hands would make them look like really vintage :lol: ,.. I've been meaning to try it on some hands and seeing if it will do the job...just in strategic spots.. :g:

I wonder if brushing some battery acid on the hands would make them look like really vintage :lol: ,.. I've been meaning to try it on some hands and seeing if it will do the job...just in strategic spots.. :g:

I would think that's a wee bit harsh, especially for the luminous material on the backside of the hands....

That would be a good question for Ziggy, see what he thinks.

Lani: I'd misread your original post and thought you'd used an NDT dial. Yuki prices are more manageable, but I don't think I'll get one until I've got a better case to put it in.

Slartibartfast: If you're ever planning another batch of homemade dials, do drop me a line!

Slart.. I think "Homemade" is totally solid !!!.. great looking dial Ma Man!!!

I do now have a couple of dials that I won't be needing.. the MBK an ND "Precision" dial.. if anyone would be interested in those B)

@Alligoat.. if I do use the hydrochloric acid it would be before I send it to relume and not in the area that would affect the fit of the hands on the cannon pin.. I'm thinking more for the corrosive effect toward the end of the hand set.. I think I'll give it a go on some throw away hands first of course.. :)

yeh, lani, my concern is that you might loose the lume which is attached to the backside of the hands- but what do I know?

No you were correct about the lume.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I want to see if the acid, briefly applied with a small artist brush will replicate the same sort of corrosion as the vintage hands appear..

there you go, a quick application on the sides. Maybe you could do the same thing with some paint, a silver/brown/dk gray mix for instance....

yeah .. maybe thinned out with paint thinner to be like a "stain" paint effect, so just to get the colour..great idea..

thanks AG :thumbsupsmileyanim: