When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Explorer 1016 Gilt Dial project completed

lanikai

Thank you once again to the Zigmeister for another finely crafted piece..I was again at a loss for words at the finished piece.

I started with the MBK 1016 and along the way was attracted to the gilt dial, which I sourced from Yuki's, and after a bit of research decided that this dial was adequate for the project.. the MBK dial is very good but I wanted something a little different.. I did source a NDT dial with "Explorer" instead of the "Superlative Chronometer" line, which was the early dial for the 1016; but in the end rested on the gilt dial.

The Crystal is a Clarks T-22 which had to be modded, the diameter would not work with the bezel, so the Zig man shaved off some of the outside of the crystal without a tell..first rate workman ship of course.

the hands were made to match the dial colour, the lugs were drilled to specs.

So here are pics.. and again .. thanks for viewing

Before it made the trip to ZM

exploreriproject002.jpg

Now the 1016 Gilt

z1016gilt041.jpg

The Case

z1016gilt006.jpg

z1016gilt004.jpg

z1016gilt011.jpg

z1016gilt028.jpg

The Dial (glossy)

z1016gilt052.jpg

z1016gilt019.jpg

z1016gilt032.jpg

z1016gilt035.jpg

z1016gilt037.jpg

z1016gilt038.jpg

z1016gilt023.jpg

z1016gilt026.jpg

The dial under reflective light

z1016gilt047.jpg

z1016gilt042.jpg

z1016gilt045.jpg

A little more of a Vintage look

z1016gilt051.jpg

Full view

z1016gilt055.jpg

Wristi's

z1016gilt062.jpg

z1016gilt057.jpg

z1016gilt058.jpg

z1016gilt054.jpg

Thank you for viewing..

AC/L

That's awesome Lani! I already liked it before the gilt dial mod, but this recent development is outstanding. Good strap choice also.

Thank you W

even if I left the MBK dial in place the T22 acrylic makes a huge difference..

I may put on the oyster bracelet again just to give it some size.. but I would like to get a dark honey tan gator ..

I think that would be a handsome match..

Lani,

That is a great watch!! The Zigmeister is truly a master craftsman. I'm not much of an Explorer person, but I really like this one. It would make a great dress watch to wear on occasions where a Sub or SD would be a little too Sporty. What engine is in this one? Love that Alligator band as well.

Cheers

Arthur

Lani,

That is a great watch!! The Zigmeister is truly a master craftsman. I'm not much of an Explorer person, but I really like this one. It would make a great dress watch to wear on occasions where a Sub or SD would be a little too

Absolutely beautiful, Lani. What a terrific dial you found, and first-class work all around!

A Yuki 7206 may be a headache to fit; I'd love to see it on a folded-link bracelet. It looks great with a strap, regardless. Congratulations!

Edited by LHOOQ

That's a beauty, Lani!

Is that the dial that made a short stop over in DEN?

this is her Ubi.. got the Col./Ubi stamp on her luggage.. :D ..

for those wondering, the karmic path to Hawaii runs through Denver :1a:

I hope I mentioned to you,...the scratch that appeared to be on the dial was in fact on inside of the plastic container :p

@LHOOQ.. I may have just found use for the riveted bracelet after all. :lol: Kama is good..

AC/Lani

By the way, did you or The Zigmeister have much problems fitting the NDT dial on the ETA (?) movement? It looks like all the aftermarket dials (NDT and Yuki) are made with Rolex movements in mind.

Should I ever decide to revisit the 1016, those dials in an MBW or Yuki case might be the way to go. But when I consider the potential cost, I seriously think about saving for a gen!

Very nice job Lani, it looks great! :drinks:

thank you JJ.. coming from the Vintage Master.. that is very nice :thumbsupsmileyanim:

LHOOQ

Posted Today, 08:36 PM

By the way, did you or The Zigmeister have much problems fitting the NDT dial on the ETA (?) movement? It looks like all the aftermarket dials (NDT and Yuki) are made with Rolex movements in mind.

Should I ever decide to revisit the 1016, those dials in an MBW or Yuki case might be the way to go. But when I consider the potential cost, I seriously think about saving for a gen!

I leave it to Ziggy ... I just requested that if the feet needed to be clipped to please proceed.. I trust in his knowledge..if it will cause issues Ziggy will tell me thumbs up or not.. that is good enough for me.. :D

this dial was only 139 usd.. that is what prompted me to move ahead; after viewing the history of the gilt dial, 139 seemed very reasonable and 5.00 usd for a Clarks crystal.. that is the extent of the $$ on parts..the hands that I did not use came with the dial.

LOOQ..

your spot on.. the 7026 riveted bracelet gives the 1016 an astonishing look.. I have one that I wasn't planning on using.. but things happen for a reason and after wrestling it on.. I cannot use the vintage spring bars though... it looks gret..:thumbsupsmileyanim:

I'll have pics up tomorrow..

LOOQ..

your spot on.. the 7026 riveted bracelet gives the 1016 an astonishing look.. I have one that I wasn't planning on using.. but things happen for a reason and after wrestling it on.. I cannot use the vintage spring bars though... it looks gret..:thumbsupsmileyanim:

I'll have pics up tomorrow..

Great to hear. I look forward to being overcome with jealousy!

this is her Ubi.. got the Col./Ubi stamp on her luggage.. :D ..

for those wondering, the karmic path to Hawaii runs through Denver :1a:

I hope I mentioned to you,...the scratch that appeared to be on the dial was in fact on inside of the plastic container :p

It's a relief to know that those marks were on the protective container, and not the dial itself! When I first saw your pics, I wasn't sure if this was the same dial, or if you managed an exchange; your reply confirmed it for me though :) Looks a beaut, buddy! That is definitely a kepper!

:wub: :wub: :wub: