When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I'm So Excited, And I Just Can't Fight It

Finepics

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't La Bamba the infamous 187? :(:p

No - "La Bamba" is a traditional song created in the Mexican state of Veracruz over 300 years ago. Influenced by Spanish flamenco and Afro-Cuban beats, the song utilizes the violin, jaranas, guitar, and harp, and is sung in falsetto. Lyrics to the song greatly vary, as performers often improvise verses while performing. However, versions (such as those by musical groups Mariachi Vargas de Tecalitlan and Los Pregoneros del Puerto) have survived due to the artists’ popularity and have become the “definitive” versions. The traditional aspect of "La Bamba" lies in the tune itself, which remains the same through all versions. The name of the dance, which has no direct English translation, is presumably connected with the Spanish verb bambolear, meaning "to shake".

The traditional song inspired Ritchie Valens' rock and roll version “La Bamba” in the 1950s. Valens’ “La Bamba” infused the traditional tune with a rock beat, making the song accessible to the population of the United States and earning it (and Valens) a place in rock history. The song features simple verse-chorus form. Ironically, Valens himself did not speak Spanish natively.

The traditional "La Bamba" was often played during weddings in Veracruz, where the bride and groom performed the accompanying dance. Today this wedding tradition is mostly lost, but the dance survives through the popularity of ballet folklórico. The dance is performed in much the same way, displaying the newlywed couple’s unity through the performance of complicated, delicate steps in unison as well as through creation of a bow from a listón, a long red ribbon, using only their feet.

On the other hand, "La Bomba"... is a watch.

112208-23679.jpg

Funny old world, isn't it?

Edited by Highflyingclive

I play the uke and I actually took a music class not too long ago, it was called Son Jarocho, the music of Vera Cruz. Very cool stuff, heavily influenced by african beats and spanish flamenco. So I know what Clive is talking about.

And yes, one of the first songs we played was La Bamba. The class was a lot of fun, and the music is wonderful.

No - "La Bamba" is a traditional song created in the Mexican state of Veracruz over 300 years ago. Influenced by Spanish flamenco and Afro-Cuban beats, the song utilizes the violin, jaranas, guitar, and harp, and is sung in falsetto. Lyrics to the song greatly vary, as performers often improvise verses while performing. However, versions (such as those by musical groups Mariachi Vargas de Tecalitlan and Los Pregoneros del Puerto) have survived due to the artists’ popularity and have become the “definitive” versions. The traditional aspect of "La Bamba" lies in the tune itself, which remains the same through all versions. The name of the dance, which has no direct English translation, is presumably connected with the Spanish verb bambolear, meaning "to shake".

The traditional song inspired Ritchie Valens' rock and roll version “La Bamba” in the 1950s. Valens’ “La Bamba” infused the traditional tune with a rock beat, making the song accessible to the population of the United States and earning it (and Valens) a place in rock history. The song features simple verse-chorus form. Ironically, Valens himself did not speak Spanish natively.

The traditional "La Bamba" was often played during weddings in Veracruz, where the bride and groom performed the accompanying dance. Today this wedding tradition is mostly lost, but the dance survives through the popularity of ballet folklórico. The dance is performed in much the same way, displaying the newlywed couple’s unity through the performance of complicated, delicate steps in unison as well as through creation of a bow from a listón, a long red ribbon, using only their feet.

On the other hand, "La Bomba"... is a watch.

Funny old world, isn't it?

:lol: Four days earlier and this would have been a PoM contender!

JTB

Es Una Bebida

Que Va Cambiando Tu Vida

Una Gotita De Nada

Te Vuelve Loca

Loca Divertida

Agua De Risa

Con Unas Gotas De Rosa

Y Una Acietuna Sabrosa

Y En Lo Caliente

Esa Es la Bomba

Muevete Mamita

Que Me Vuelvo Loco

Emborrachadita Que La Bomba Estas

Cosa Linda, Cosa Mona

Sube, Sube, Que La Bomba Va

Bum, Bum, Dando Media Vuelta

Bum, Bum, Otra Vuelta Mas

Bum, Bum, Y En Cada Esquina

Nena Dame Mas

Que Noche Con Vida

Intensamente Vivida

Te Vas Quedando Colgada

Inofensiva

Pura Enamorada,

Mira Guapa

Sale Volando La Ropa

Sigue Bailando La Luna

Luna Gatuna

Esa Es La Bomba

Ok here's the verdict - I only took one pic as I am not setup for macro work with flash. So here is a quick pic:

112763-23518.jpg

Well what do we have - the case is nicely made with sharp edges and a fine brushed finish. I suspect this has come from the same factory as the other subs and possibly Honpo's 187. The bezel clicks around in minute clicks. The crystal is about 3mm thick - not the 5mm it should be but certainly not something you could tell just by looking at it although I cannot tellif there is an AR coat - if there is it's not obvious. The massive diameter cyclops is built in like all the rep sub range. The date wheel has the usual disappointing skinny font so that is ripe for an upgrade.

Now we have all seen the problem with the 8 and 10 markers - they are rotated away from the subdial and so out of alignment with the hands and minute markers. As I suspected the markers have 2 pins on their underside and are glud to the dial. So they have to be removed very carefully, one of the pins ground off and then reglued using a tiny drop of epoxy glue. I have done this already and have just finished the lume. On e thing I did notice, and you can see this in the dealers photos, is that the corners of some of the hour markers are showing the chrome plate (the markers are made of plated copper then painted) through the blue - you can see them as highlights. A quick fix is to touch them up carefully with a TDK blue CD marker pen. Luckily this is about the right colour and enough to touch them out. One of my markers was particularly bad but looks fine now.

The most interesting thing is the bezel lume dot window which, to my suprise, is glass. The only way to lume this was to break it out by gently tapping it with a screwdriver. I have now filled it with SL and will use a clear resin to replace the window later. The bezel markers have also had a polish up as has the cannon pinion top. Just waiting for everything to dry now!!

The CG needed a little bit of metal removing from the feet to tighten the lever to the crown - I am confident of certainly 999m if not 1000m!!!!

The movt is the now familiar 7750B1 - the rotor is not decorated but there is a proper metal movt ring. The strap is the newer more stretchy type rubber divers strap so that will need to be changed but looks the part for the moment.

Conclusion - as we expected. There are a couple of niggly things - the dial markers are for me the biggest issue as fixing them means a lot of adrenaline and sweating!!! But whatever - it's a must have and bloody heavy too.

Nice one finepics!!

Thanks my man - tell you what - it is bloody nice. The blue dial is really rather cool and sets it aside a bit from all the others. And it really feels solid like in a bar room brawl you could strap it round your fingers, use it as a knuckleduster and it'll still work afterwards!! Or of course you could just go swimming with it instead. He valve is a dummy.