When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Noobmariner question

Anguz

Hi Anguz,

I'll hazard a guess that 80-90% of the non-chronograph reps with screw down crowns (that our dealers sell) are "waterproof" and you can swim with them. But because they are reps there can be leaky crystals, loose casebacks, etc.

There's one good rule: Don't take your watches to water. Gens or reps. There are many horror stories in the gen forums how water has ruined manyy very expensive genuine diver watches. Just don't do it... or at least check your watch in a watchmaker before you swim with it.

Good luck.

Hi Anguz,

I'll hazard a guess that 80-90% of the non-chronograph reps with screw down crowns (that our dealers sell) are "waterproof" and you can swim with them. But because they are reps there can be leaky crystals, loose casebacks, etc.

There's one good rule: Don't take your watches to water. Gens or reps. There are many horror stories in the gen forums how water has ruined manyy very expensive genuine diver watches. Just don't do it... or at least check your watch in a watchmaker before you swim with it.

Good luck.

Hey By-Tor,

Thanks for the advice and I shall take it as well. I figured as much really, but just wanted to be sure.

Cheers!

I would be more concerned taking a genuine older Sub diving than a new Noobmariner. I could afford to replace the Noobmariner.

Grease the seals and make sure everything's tight and you SHOULD be good. If you have doubts, have it tested.

Besides, you look kind of foolish wearing a Sub to the beach and having to take it off to jump in the water.

I'm with kbh, grease the seals and have it tested. My two noobs are WR and a lot of people around here have had good luck w/ them being WR. this one's made a few laps in the pool

P1000207-1.jpg

When I scuba dive, however, I use a $200 scuba watch. This William Marshall has made it down 125'

WmMarshall.jpg

I don't wear my vintage gen subs scuba diving, ha, it ain't worth it!

P1000185-3.jpg

WmMarshall.jpg

Just curious, how many people have seen you wearing that watch and commented; "Nice Rolex!" or similar? I love it BTW. Mechanical? Movement?

I used to wear a quartz Regency Sub homage and used to get comments like that often. Now that I wear a 90% to gen replica Sub? Nothing.

Just curious, how many people have seen you wearing that watch and commented; "Nice Rolex!" or similar? I love it BTW. Mechanical? Movement?

I used to wear a quartz Regency Sub homage and used to get comments like that often. Now that I wear a 90% to gen replica Sub? Nothing.

The William Marshall is a nice little Swiss knock-off with a 2824-2 movement. I bought it 3-4 years ago on ebay for $210 or so and it shipped directly from Switzerland. No one's ever commented on it, but I really get few comments if any on the watches I wear. I'm a firm believer in the 99.9% theory- 99.9% of the people could give a rat's a$$ what watch you're wearing. :D

@ kbh, the insert/pearl reminds me of the vintage MBW's- same flat pearl! Lume's decent but not great.

Partial thread hijack.....

Google the Debaufre and Steinhart watches, also shipped directly from Switzerland.

They make Sub, GMT and IWC "homage" watches as well as some really awesome designs of their own. 100% Swiss Made, 300m depth rating. The really cool thing is that they make their subs in 39mm, 42mm and 44mm sizes. Debaufre has a model called the Triton which has a 2000 meter depth rating! That's in the same league as a DSSD, but it's $850.

Anyway, just some additional info on watches that are in that "in-between" world....between reps and gens :)

Edited by Stratocaster

The William Marshall is a nice little Swiss knock-off with a 2824-2 movement. I bought it 3-4 years ago on ebay for $210 or so and it shipped directly from Switzerland. No one's ever commented on it, but I really get few comments if any on the watches I wear. I'm a firm believer in the 99.9% theory- 99.9% of the people could give a rat's a$$ what watch you're wearing. :D

Cheers. Love that WM. Especially the hour markers. Love the Rlx Sub to death, but after 6 years on RWG I'm over looking at it. Almost. :lol:

Debaufre

That's new to me. Goooooogle fodder. Yum! Thanks.

I think I may have found us an interesting article for the News Letter; Sanctioned homage pieces;

new2.jpg

yaqoobipaneraihomage01ta6.jpg

:whistling:

I like that WM, too. Gotta get one of these homage watches sometime. I saw that Invicta Automatic stainless sub the other day. $200. Nice watch, just seems kind've pointless right now. I have my rep sub, and a dive watch.

Anywho.. as far as water proofing. I just recently greased up a noobmariner and it is proven to be waterproof. Gotta pop the stem and grease the trip lock crown system and insure all 3 gaskets are in place for good measure.

Good advice gang. Before I start taking sh*t apart and injecting fluids :whistling: , I need to do some major league research and studying. I am loving this thing right now and if I ruined it, I would be heartbroken.

Also, as far as people looking at it...hasn't happened once. People don't care I think, unless they are WIS. Though I feel cocky wearing it, like a broad with breast implants! :drinks:

Cheers again lads.

If you can get the Noob (or any rep) to be waterproof, that is great.

I have a gen Movado that I paid almost $1000 for. I wore it in the rain one day (4 months out of warranty) and the next day the crystal was fogged. I dried it out by sealing it in a Tupperware with silica gel, but the damage had been done. The face has different sheen on one side and the hands had crusty corrosion.

Funny thing, the watchmaker vacuum-tested it and said it was fine, and that he could replace the face & hands for $400. Ha! :thumbdown: Now I have a less than perfect gen watch. Should have bought a rep and taken the time to have it waterproofed <_<

@Strat

You made a good point. I have no intention of diving or even swimming with my noob, I have a Casio I use for diving.

Your point, about it being in the rain or even if I am washing dishes and some water spills on it, thats really what I'm worried about.

Cheers

@Strat

You made a good point. I have no intention of diving or even swimming with my noob, I have a Casio I use for diving.

Your point, about it being in the rain or even if I am washing dishes and some water spills on it, thats really what I'm worried about.

Cheers

I don't think you need to worry about the rain or if water splashes on the bugger.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I just wouldn't submerse it..for any extended amount of time.. B)

AC/Lani

Hey gang,

Just how waterproof is the noobmariner?

Cheers in advance.

no garantee that a noob is waterproof. i have a yachtmaster and a deepsea that i' ve got oiled and waterproofed and i have swimmed wearing them on the beach several times and never had a problem.they keep working fine. the jeweler who did it told me the reps were quite good but the seals were really bad.

i had a sub.. i didnt know exactly what version whas, all i know it had a crappy movmt(not the dg2813). plastic reteiner, sapphire and a triplock crown/tube

all i did was, changing/greasing all gaskets (caseback, crown, outer of the tube, and inner tube gasket) then tested it and went to 12 bar without any worries

Edited by maugomez