When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Replica watch case versus the genuine made case

horologist

I do not wish to delude myself as I know that we get for what we pay for, but what really sets them apart, say between the watch case made for the replica Rolex watch and those made for the genuine brand watch apart from the quality control aspect of it all. Is it the seals, the strength of the glass, the way the crown tube and crown are made, the materials or even the way they are cast out from the steel? It has always pondered my mind. OK, I know that the quality of the Stainless steel in the real McCoy is 904L whereas the quality of the steel used in the replica is of a lower grade, but what really does set them apart for example; a submariner case to be 300 Meter water resistant and the replica to just shower in?

I firmly BELIEVE you can build a replica of EQUAL quality to that of a submariner. WM9 is an example of this, paired with a chronometer grade movement and what does a Rolex sub REALLY offer over this? 904L isnt even practical for the average buyer, heck even a professional diver needn't have it. But get into more sophisticated movements such as the GMT with adjustable hour hand and you cant really find that anywhere else (as far as I know) As far as quality of gold and jewels, well then you cant match the quality in a replica to the genuine article. For sports models a Rolex rep gives the genuine article a run for its money and is kind of hard to justify paying a genuine price for something that is all steel with a date. This fact im sure has Rolex scared as theyre even going as far as to file a lawsuit against ebay for not stopping enough counterfeit trades. Dont believe the marketing about taking a year to build one as Rolex produces about 2000+ watches a day. Youre buying the brand, prestige, and exclusivity of a $500 watch for sixty-five hundred.

Guest techlogik

Well, I am going out on a limb here and say that besides the quality of steel, quality of equipment and QC standards, not much after that. Wait, that is pretty much everything...so a big difference.

You have no clue if you are actually getting 316L, or what kind of quality of steel on a rep. That along with an 8yr old kid doing the work. I am pretty sure if you asked/pressed Rolex, they would tell you and provide some information regarding steel, quality standards QC etc....if you have ever seen the video of them making cases, then if we could find some back room operation in china...there would be just some "slight" discrepencies between how they operate...haha..

Edit..found it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpgPKitR224

wm9 cases are finished great, lots of people swim with the steel without rusting. WM9 wouldnt go to such lengths to build a 1:1 without at least using some decent surgical steel, same as piercing quality that people swim with all the time, and I doubt BK is an 8 year old assembly boy ;)

904L just begs to inflate and semi justify the price being an exclusive pseudo semi precious metal

im sure BK can attest to the quality of the hard metal used in wm9 cases

HERE is the rep vs. gen Rolex steel compared. That 904 steel is one of the silliest marketing ploys ever... I'm amazed that people fall for it and think the 904 steel is something extraordinary that clearly makes the gen stand out...

There is a small difference in appearance but in my eyes it's so minimal that it's completely meaningless.

Guest techlogik

My point is entirely related to QC, technology and methods used to make the cases comparing Rolex and a Chinese sweat shop. The steel, who knows, only a metalurgist expert can give you some ideas of the pros/cons of each.

Guest techlogik

HERE is the rep vs. gen Rolex steel compared. That 904 steel is one of the silliest marketing ploys ever... I'm amazed that people fall for it and think the 904 steel is something extraordinary that clearly makes the gen stand out...

There is a small difference in appearance but in my eyes it's so minimal that it's completely meaningless.

What, didn't that video I embed convince you how special that 904 is?!?!? Gee...it is better than precious metal according to Rolex PR.

My point is entirely related to QC, technology and methods used to make the cases comparing Rolex and a Chinese sweat shop. The steel, who knows, only a metalurgist expert can give you some ideas of the pros/cons of each.

What ever they're doing in those sweat shops really makes me think rolex has over thought this whole thing, unless all that technology was just rented for the commerical.

What ever they're doing in those sweat shops really makes me think rolex has over thought this whole thing, unless all that technology was just rented for the commerical.

It probably has a lot to do with Rolex having an average output of something like 1 watch every 15 seconds.. 8)

Edited by Luna