When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ultimate DSSD

Guest Sql_pl

I received an Ultimate DSSD today. Here are some quick wristies:

dee1.jpg

dee2n.jpg

dee3.jpg

dee4h.jpg

One question though. How do I tell if what I have here is really the latest greatest Cartel DSSD? I thought it would be more shiny with that new steel of theirs. Can someone confirm if that's what it should be? Steel does not look to be as shiny as I expected it to be... Or maybe I am too picky :)

i have an older v1 or whatever it is. The only issue i really have is the bezel insert. Yours looks much better than mine. I tried painting mine to make the numbers more BOLD but its still not quite right.

dizz

If that's from Joshua, then it's suppose to have the 413L SS metal (or whatever they call it now!). If you want to give it that shiny/brite look....give it the toothbrush treatment....and using toothpaste of course (I use the white Colgate)! It will put a "Smile" to your Watch! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Guest techlogik

Who is it from? Josh is the only one I know that has actually delivered a new 316F steel version.

You can get a watch polishing cloth, and buff it up, will make it brighter some.

That is an ultimate from what I can tell most dealer will get you. Incorrect bezel insert spacing at 10, thin bezel numbers and not so good pearl are the tells.

You can replace that with a bezel insert from Josh.

The good parts, dial print, case, markers all look really good. Swap that bezel insert, and you have a very very good rep friend.

Thanks for the pics!

Guest techlogik

I'm no expert on DSSD's, but I thought the other big indication was the caseback being multipiece for the latest version? I could be wrong, though...

V3 and later all had multi caseback.

Some vendors have the caseback correct. The dome/grey piece should be smooth, NOT stepped. The ring then holds that securely. But when the fake titanium ring is on it, you can't tell though...but I am bothered by stuff like that...so I need the smooth back.

The engraving on the rehaut for V3 would be darker/bolder black, ESCAPE VALVE engraving etc...

Also, V3 bezel insert is fat and ugly letters, really bad.

The V3 Crystal some say has less dome and distortion, I think lanikai has confirmed that in a thread with photos after he got his Ult from Josh 316F he reviewed.

Lastly, the V3 had the best HEV. It was recessed more like Gen.

Oh, and V3 didn't have the bevelled date window.

I think the best franken would be:

1) V3 case/crystal

2) Ultimate Dial-proper date window/clean print (not ETZs, their's sucks)

3) Swiss movement (Avoid the 3135 clone like the plague)

4) Josh bezel insert with correct 10 spacing and slightly fatter numbers

5) Relume

6) Maybe seal the HEV and repaint the bezel insert if the color bothers you and you might go into the water.

The above would be a scary good rep.

Wish WM9 would do a DSSD version....hint...hint...!!!

Maybe they will but as far behind as they are on everything else (and as hard as it appears to be to turn out a good one) by the time they got it done it would qualify as a Vintage! :rofl:

Viewing the pics without stronger lighting .. it would appear your case and bracelet is the 316f..the newer metal is a lighter shade of ss.. the 316L or what ever the metal is .... is darker by a couple of shades.. especially in the pics..

and with low filtered light the old metal would not appear as even.. and as light in it's colour..

Hi, I have V2....well bought a year ago... the shine is different...as I now have V5 but the pearl has gone off on both models.....can'tunderstand why....

I received an Ultimate DSSD today. Here are some quick wristies:

dee1.jpg

dee2n.jpg

dee3.jpg

dee4h.jpg

One question though. How do I tell if what I have here is really the latest greatest Cartel DSSD? I thought it would be more shiny with that new steel of theirs. Can someone confirm if that's what it should be? Steel does not look to be as shiny as I expected it to be... Or maybe I am too picky :)

Hey Lanikai,....I have V2 ...and V5 ...and on both models the pearl has gone off....do you have answers..?

Viewing the pics without stronger lighting .. it would appear your case and bracelet is the 316f..the newer metal is a lighter shade of ss.. the 316L or what ever the metal is .... is darker by a couple of shades.. especially in the pics..

and with low filtered light the old metal would not appear as even.. and as light in it's colour..

Guest techlogik

Hey Lanikai,....I have V2 ...and V5 ...and on both models the pearl has gone off....do you have answers..?

What do you mean "gone off". Lume? Fallen off?

Best bet is just replace the bezel insert with Josh's.

Or, if the pearl fell out, get a watchmaker pearl and replace it, clear coat over it after a clear lume maybe?!?!

After I had my v5 serviced and was sure it was water-tight, I started showering with it in the mornings and that seems to take off the oils that dull the surface of the metal. The watch is MUCH brighter after it's been washed. Your watch looks like it's absolutely covered in machine oil from being made. It's un-even looking and blotchy.

After you're certain it's water-proof go ahead and wash it nicely.