When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

updated finished GMTIIC AR mag project

lanikai

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lani, thanks for that great post.

I have done the same mod but left the AR on the crystal because I really liked the look of the dial.

Now I bought the latest version of the GMT II C with the 316 steel and were the GMT hand is moving in 1h increments. I had a crystal left from the version before and it is thicker then the old version. Old version is 1.98 mm thick and the new version is 2.18 mm thick. So I couldn't use the old crystal and the new one is in for coating now. I will have it back end of next week.

Lani, can you post the measurements of the clark crystal and the soure from whom to buy?

Old watch is sold !

Just some pics of my old one.

GMTIIC019.jpg

GMTIIC024.jpg

I have done the same mod but left the AR on the crystal because I really liked the look of the dial. Just some pics of my old one.

In general, I like the look of your fully-ARd crystal. However, you should be aware that it may draw attention (the wrong kind) to your watch. While it may be pleasant to look at, you are effectively shooting yourself in the foot, as far as accuracy goes, because it makes the dial too visible, which, more importantly, highlights the (inaccurate) laser etching (instead of engraving) of the ROLEXROLEXROLEX on the inner flange (rehaut). Maybe I am more sensitive than others, but that is 1 of the 1st things I notice when looking at a ceramic GMT.

I know this has been discussed before elsewhere, but how hard was it to remove the cyclops from the Clarks crystal Lani? What technique did you use?

It's very easy actually .. you just need heat.. I use my cigar torch and tweezers.. you can use your stove..

simply hold the bottom to he crystal where the mag is a the tip of the flame.. if your using an eletric stove you can put the crystal almost right on the coil .. and after a minute check the mag with a toothpick .. it should "slide" right off.. if you are using a flame like on a cigar torch the mag has a tendency to "pop" off so you need to aim the mag at a box filled with a rag or paper towels.. it will pop off aggressively.. so beware of that

the stove is sufficient for one mag.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

make sure to clean the crystal from all glue.. as well as the mag or when you send it in to chief the AR will be defected.. as will the mag when you reattach it to the crystal if you don't get all the residue off the mag..

Lani, thanks for that great post.

I have done the same mod but left the AR on the crystal because I really liked the look of the dial.

Now I bought the latest version of the GMT II C with the 316 steel and we had a crystal left from the version

before and it is thicker then the old version. Old version is 1.98 mm thick and the new version is 2.18 mm thick.

So I couldn't use the old crystal and the new one is in for coating now. I will have it back end of next week.

Lani, can you post the measurements of the clark crystal and the soure from whom to buy?

The Clarks crystal is 1.98 mm thick.. and can be ordered through Nostalgia-2000 on the bay..

The Clarks crystal is 1.98 mm thick.. and can be ordered through Nostalgia-2000 on the bay..

Thanks, so that crystal will not fit on the new release with the 3186 movement, it needs to be 2.18 mm high

other wise it would look like this, and thamks for caruwe finding that out

GMT.jpg

I left the AR (double sided) under the crystal and on the inside of the crystal..

so both sides of the crystal has AR under the mag

zzzzgmtiicsrmag034.jpg

zzzzgmtiicsrmag031.jpg

AC/L

Lanikai,

I must be dense - so let me see if I understand this correctly:

1. Buy clarks crystal

2. Remove cyclops, and send to Chief for AR (double sided)

3. put cyclops back on the appropriate side (top), and then remove the AR from the top. The cyclops will cover the tops AR which is under the cyclops

4. Remove AR from the bottom side EXCEPT for the area under the cyclops.

If I got that right, then I have one question. How do you remove the AR from the bottom, except for the area under the cyclops. You said that you tape it. Do you tape over the cyclops area (along the straight top and bottom lines of the cyclops for instance) and then remove. Etc. etc. If so, how did you make the curves?

Sorry for all the questions. This is an incredibly cool mod.

Best

Lani - Will the Clark crystal fit this version? Also, will it rise above the bezel more like the gen or will I need to shave the bezel down?

On a side note for anyone who knows the answer, is it possible to lighten the rehaut engraving? I like that it aligns better, but it is very dark.

Without knowing the version of this watch nobody will know, did you read my post up here?

Sorry. Im not sure of the version. That's why I posted a pick. It seems to be the only one with a somewhat aligned rehaut, but the etching is dark.

What movement is in it? If you got this watch, then it will not fit.

http://www.trustywatchguy.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_5&products_id=5425

FYI this is the COH version.. correct hand stack with eta movement..

thank you tribal.. I cannot keep it off my wrist and am having fun viewing the dial in extreme sunlight.. that's where it's most noticeable.. I think I'll give another one a shot.. had fun with this project .. :lol: