When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How is the build quality of the rep?

collector

Friends,

I am not an expert like some regulars on this forum, and my respect to all of you, I have been a member on the sidelines since about 3 years ago, the reason I am posting this short question is because I have always wondered how is the build quality of some of these watches like for example a Submariner V3 by WM9 that is soon to be released? although these watches will never be like the Genuine Article but is the build and quality comparable to say a OMEGA SEAMASTER?, which is far less expensive than a Rollie? I have read many times that these watches in particular the Sub from WM9 or BK are very close to genuine so your input or thought are welcome!.

Thanks

A.

I would rate the build quality of the WM9V3 by BK as excellent. This is what I would call the culmination of the search for the perfect rep sub. For 1/10th of the price, you're getting a great rep which is basically indistinguishable from the gen. You can't tell the difference w/o taking off the caseback and looking at the movement.

Some other reps are also of a similar quality, especially with modifications, and there are even the budget reps which are a good value given their reasonable price tag. I guess it's just a matter of reading enough and learning. I just ordered the GWSD from Puretime- it'll be interesting to see how it stacks up- but having only spent $223 w/ shipping, I haven't blown a huge amount so that's nice also.

You really can be very surprised with the quality of the parts on a lot of reps (super reps in particular)it is only the QC where they can some times fall down, oftern very comparable with watches you would pay a couple of grand for on the high street, The WM9 well I dont have one but what i have read it as good as it gets! and pretty good by all accounts!

Build quality is excellent on the WM9's. On my old WM9, I went so far as to install a genuine crystal, complete bezel assembly, crown etc. These parts fit without any need for modification- The case is essentially the same design as the genuine.

IMG_0605.jpg

IMG_0686.jpg

IMG_2222.jpg

IMG_3038.jpg

IMG_3124.jpg

IMG_3105.jpg

IMG_3114.jpg

Prior to the WM9, the only other Sub replicas that would accept gen parts were the MBK/MBW's, and even then some pieces had to be tweaked a bit to fit.

I guess the OP is asking the craftsmanship rather than 1:1 accuracy when he/she says "the build and quality". I have been a gen collector for several years. Even though I am relatively new, I have spent quite a lot of time in this area for the last a few months, and so far I have collected 1) DW 6263 assembled by Spinmaster (upgraded with some gen parts), 2) modded MBW 1665 great white, and 3) BK's WM9 v3 sub. I guess I can say these are all highend(?) reps, and I am very happy about my collections. But the craftsmanship itself is below Seiko which you can buy under 200 bucks IMHO.

Seikos are solid time pieces and great value for the price, but I never liked the crowns on them and they feel kinda "hollow" compared to a rep wm9 or mbk sub. HOWEVER, you'll never see a seiko with a poorly machined rehaut , misaligned crown tube or ill-fitting bracelet. But dust under the crystal living on the dial....oh yeah.

Seiko Monster is an astounding buy, but nothing looks like a submariner, rep or gen.