When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to: Oxidize your Titanium on your Pams

lanikai

I found the How to .. oxidize your Pam Ti.. it was actually in a "help" thread by Docblackrock.. a friend and long time member..I miss the doc...his wit and banter..

anyway here it is: How to Oxidize your Pam Ti

here are some pics of the finished products.. I finished the oxidizing in 07 and recently took these pics..

pam177176001.jpg

pam177176013.jpg

pam177176006.jpg

pam089wempe029.jpg

pam089wempe018.jpg

pam089wempe025.jpg

pam089wempe027.jpg

Good luck.. remember that oxidizing you Ti is not an exact science.. one and done may turn into repeated attempts.. to get it right..

AC/Lani

I just got an oxidized case from another member here, and it turned out to be much lighter than I had hoped. Yours is the perfect shade for the 172/192 Tantalum models - so it looks like I'm going to have to pick up some OxiClean and do some experimenting myself.

Kickass, looks almost like the first gen PVD.

Wanted to ask though, any way to darken SS?

I assume your talking about about giving the ss a vintage look.. the first thing that comes to mind is chemicals .. like those used to strip chromium.. that would darken it, and along with a soft scouring pad,... coins in a plastic jar to give the case some dings ... that should do it..

Drulee

Posted Today, 08:25 AM

I just got an oxidized case from another member here, and it turned out to be much lighter than I had hoped. Yours is the perfect shade for the 172/192 Tantalum models - so it looks like I'm going to have to pick up some OxiClean and do some experimenting myself.

I have a 172 that I oxidized.. looks good Dru.. I like the contrast of oxidized Ti to ss..

keep in mind that method was devised to simulate tantalum... natural Gen panerai Ti is light...

I guess some just like a darker looking titanium. Me I like my Ti light, unless it is supposed to be Ta :)

I assume this finish will eventually wear off, and the case will go back to the lighter titanium look.

I guess some just like a darker looking titanium. Me I like my Ti light, unless it is supposed to be Ta :)

I assume this finish will eventually wear off, and the case will go back to the lighter titanium look.

Actually, no it doesn't wear off I have had these since 2007 like this.. you can take the oxidation off if you so desire..but it will not wear off in time. but the gen Ti crown I have on my 089 is the same colour as the case.. and the crown was not treated.. it looks like that naturally with time... I prefer my Ti darkened.. like the more vintage ones..

I'm posting pics on a new thread of my 172 Dru..

Oxiclean is not available anymore in France/Europe!!!

Anyone knows what could be used instead of it?

Thank you!

mmm that's what I heard form a member that sent me his Ti to oxidize.. maybe members in Conus can help out and do some oxidizing..

just a thought..

AC/Lani

The look superb Lani, especially the strap combos!!

172 is the one that got away for me :(

Cheers

FGD

thanks you B)

just a heads up S

Nouns Defions on this thread is trying to sell his 172 for a great price.. and the correct case back can be had from DSN

keep me on your list fro upcoming dials :victory:

AC/Lani

Hmm, I guess it depends upon the grade of ti and what elements it has been exposed to. I've got two gen titanium watches from the 90's, and they're still light coloured. I wonder if your location (being surrounded by the Pacific :) ) has anything to do with it. Or perhaps my location (watches probably spend a lot of time indoors :( ) does.

Seen a lot of "OXI"-something cleaners at the supermarket, but don't know if it is strong enough...

So I've finally ordered some Oxiclean Baby at Amazon.com... :-D

Caseback of PAM172 is supposed to be titanium, right? Anyone has an idea to protect it from oxidation when processing the whole watch?

Seen a lot of "OXI"-something cleaners at the supermarket, but don't know if it is strong enough...

So I've finally ordered some Oxiclean Baby at Amazon.com... :-D

Caseback of PAM172 is supposed to be titanium, right? Anyone has an idea to protect it from oxidation when processing the whole watch?

DSN has the correct case back I'm told.. but the case back on the genuine is the same colour as the case..

39945297.jpg

Drulee

Posted Yesterday, 02:26 PM

Hmm, I guess it depends upon the grade of ti and what elements it has been exposed to. I've got two gen titanium watches from the 90's, and they're still light coloured. I wonder if your location (being surrounded by the Pacific :) ) has anything to do with it. Or perhaps my location (watches probably spend a lot of time indoors :( ) does.

Well the genuine Ti crown on my 089 came from another part of the planet.. and Honpos rep of the 089 is dark.. another genuine Pam I saw was dark.. I think it depends on the brand and what they do with each model.. as the Breitling Ti is dark.. but other gen brands are light..

many Gen Ti watches are anodized for durability... which they usually go for dark charcoal...

As for the Dark Ti... I've had 6 Gen pam Ti cases and even more Gen Ti CGs... none have been that dark... don't get me wrong I like the look but it's not how the Ti would naturally oxidize... the Ti will reach it's darkest level within a month at the most... in Seattle it'll usually take a day ;)

Be Aware...

OXY CLEAN and OXI CLEAN are 2 very different products. Here is the active ingredient breakdown according to their labels...

you want to use OXI CLEAN...it's the sodium percarbonate - sometimes with sodium carbonate - that you want...

OXI CLEAN:

12-18% Sodium Percarbonate

25-35% Citric Acid

OXY CLEAN:

10-30% Potassium Hydroxide

5-10% Sodium Hydroxide

10-30% Sodium Hypochlorite

Be Aware...

OXY CLEAN and OXI CLEAN are 2 very different products. Here is the active ingredient breakdown according to their labels...

you want to use OXI CLEAN...it's the sodium percarbonate - sometimes with sodium carbonate - that you want...

OXI CLEAN:

12-18% Sodium Percarbonate

25-35% Citric Acid

OXY CLEAN:

10-30% Potassium Hydroxide

5-10% Sodium Hydroxide

10-30% Sodium Hypochlorite

Guess we know who does the laundry in your house. :rofl:

• 5 months later...

DSN has the correct case back I'm told.. but the case back on the genuine is the same colour as the case..

39945297.jpg

I just came back to visit this thread, as I'm about to buy another 192, and want to add some info. First comment is about Lani's remark about the gen caseback being the same colour as the case. Lani, did you look at the picture you posted? It certainly looks to be lighter than the case, more like Titanium, which it may very well be (I remember reading somewhere that they had to use Ti for the case back, as there was a problem with getting the Tantalum threading cut.

Next comment. I've gathered a few pics of gen 192 and 172 PAMs, and all of their cases are much lighter than an Oxidized Ti case. They are just slightly darker than Titanium. In fact the one in the pic Lani posted is probably the darkest I've seen. I've attached some more pics of gens.

post-22281-018095200 1278745262.jpg

post-22281-052734800 1278745097.jpg

post-22281-023759200 1278745138.jpg

post-22281-036300100 1278745165.jpg

post-22281-054066300 1278745223.jpg