When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

172 Tantalum

lanikai

First.. the rep as is.. is not a very good replication of the "Tantalum" metal.. mainly the colour is wrong.. but in an effort to 'aid" in the colouring of the Ti.. and make it closer resemble the mineral Tantalum.. I oxidized it.. to a greyer look with some faint hints of bluing..

below is a brief explanation of the metal "Tantalum"

A rare, hard, blue-gray, lustrous transition metal, tantalum is highly corrosion resistant

Tantalum occurs principally in the mineral columbite-tantalite. Tantalum ores are mined in Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, Congo, Mozambique, Nigeria, Portugal, Malaysia and Thailand.

The name tantalum was derived from the name of the mythological Tantalus, the father of Niobe in Greek mythology. In the story, he had been punished after death by being condemned to stand knee-deep in water with perfect fruit growing above his head, both of which eternally tantalized him. (If he bent to drink the water, it drained below the level he could reach, and if he reached for the fruit, the branches moved out of his grasp.)[12] Ekeberg wrote "This metal I call tantalum … partly in allusion to its incapacity, when immersed in acid, to absorb any and be saturated. Tantalum was discovered in Sweden in 1802 by Anders Ekeberg.

Now taking this as a hobby and in no way meaning this will "fool" anyone with knowledge of the metal.. let alone the Panerai brand.. it was fun to try and come close to this rare metal with the stock Ti metal of the rep.. actually a nice contrast with the ss of the bezel and CG..

It is on a Mario Paci "Tantalum" strap..

thanks for viewing..

172001.jpg

172002.jpg

172004.jpg

172008.jpg

172009.jpg

172012.jpg

I need to redo the oxidation in a way to leave behind more bluing..

like this

pam177176008.jpg

Thanks for viewing..

AC/Lani

You know, Lani, I have two of these watches from the time Josh carried them circa 2006. Except, although the movements are actual Swiss Unitas, the plates are wrong - not the Swan Neck type like the one you have here. I never, ever wear them, I've just used their straps for my two other Pam reps. These are actual titanium cases, but the appearance through the display case back was incorrect. Now, I have no idea what to do with them. Do you know anyone that could use them? I want to sell both of them - for cheap, since they are incorrect - but I have no frame of reference. What's your opinion? Thanks, brother.

You know, Lani, I have two of these watches from the time Josh carried them circa 2006. Except, although the movements are actual Swiss Unitas, the plates are wrong - not the Swan Neck type like the one you have here. I never, ever wear them, I've just used their straps for my two other Pam reps. These are actual titanium cases, but the appearance through the display case back was incorrect. Now, I have no idea what to do with them. Do you know anyone that could use them? I want to sell both of them - for cheap, since they are incorrect - but I have no frame of reference. What's your opinion? Thanks, brother.

to tell you the truth .. I don't pay much attention to what is in the display back on most reps.. they are always incorrect..that is why I prefer the solid case backs to the display..

I posted a how to "oxidize" .. and with that said .. maybe you will get some PM's for your watches.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

they are cool looking after oxidizing the case..

Lani, these are great. Given that you have a tantalium watch (or at least the watch that reps the metal), which do you think would work well, a The Zigmeister green lume, or a blue one that will match the hand scheme? I ask because the lume color on yours looks pretty good. I'm going to send my 192 to him, but don't know which lume to go with.

Lani, these are great. Given that you have a tantalium watch (or at least the watch that reps the metal), which do you think would work well, a The Zigmeister green lume, or a blue one that will match the hand scheme? I ask because the lume color on yours looks pretty good. I'm going to send my 192 to him, but don't know which lume to go with.

On my 192 I went with the blue lume, I also stuck a new DSN 172E display back to show off the SeaGull ST19 movement :) I've been thinking about getting another 192, getting it re-lumed with the proper c1/c3 mix and keeping the solid case back on it.

.. blue would be way cool.... I'm sure Ziggy would know the proper colour and finish to the lume..if blue is not the genuine colour and you don't mind it would look really cool.. imo..

redwatch

Posted Today, 06:18 PM

Definitely my favorite looking PAM lately!!! I have been lusting after one for a while now! Looks amazing Lani!

Red.. Nouns Defions.. in this thread is wanting to sell 2 Tantalum's for cheap :thumbsupsmileyanim: ..check it out..

I have a 172 with the old DSN case, where he treated a SS case with Titanium oxide and the result was a very nice Grey/blue cast to the brushed SS. I think works well and the weight is better for the finished product.

Rogerwine

Beautiful Lani! Theres always something to learn in every one of your threads. Loving the contrast of the polished bezel, how did you protect it from being oxidised?

Thanks bro.

thank you OS

SS won't be affected by the oxidizing process

AC/L

Beautiful watch! :-D

Lani, is it no problem to plunge the watch in water + Oxyclean for hours? What about waterproofness? Did you unmount the movement and oxidize the case and caseback only?

:-)

Actually the reps did get immersed whole.. and not a problem.. they are at least gtg in a pot of warm water for an extended period..

I put a soda cap on the bottom of the pot and rested the watch on it..

one sure test... if the second hand stops .. then you'll know you have problems.. :rofl:

Seriously .. should be fine.. :)

beautiful doc where'd you get that one?

Bought it from another member here, then sent it off to The Zigmeister to get it lumed. Then I ordered one of DSN's new 172E display backs, along with a 172E, and put the back on the 192 to show off the movement. And since they had been sold as a box set, I figured that having the same serials on both backs was appropriate :D

one sure test... if the second hand stops .. then you'll know you have problems.. :rofl:

Then you can take out the movement and dial, fill it with water, stick a Guppy in it, and a thin straw in the crown tube. Instant PAM fish bowl, blow on straw periodically to aerate. So all is not lost :lol: