When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

BK/WM9 Submariner Black v3

unregistered

Pearl is one. The laser etched crown...well, it's a clark crystal so its a known fact that it won't have that and its always something you can explain away, serviced etc, so I won't consider it a tell.

The other one is something that all Rolex SS models suffer from

None of those should matter unless you are planing on passing it as a GEN. I have been lucky that were I work people don't real care. So i do not get the is a Gen Question

Edited by cib0rgman

If you didn't care to pass off a watch as a gen, then what are you doing on a rep board? Sorry, but the fact is, and it doesn't matter who, if you're into reps, you want a copy of the gen so you can appreciate it as a gen and people or yourself recognise it as one. Not so much as fraud to sell as a gen, but the impression is of one.

Why else would there be so many reviews on our reps vs gens, so much 3rd party modders offering their services? 3rd party parts?

Regardless, the other tell would be the sheen of the SS. I haven't polished it yet, but compared to a stock SSDv2 last night, the sheen is darker, and compared to a gen Sub, hand in hand comparison, it's noticeably darker.

If you didn't care to pass off a watch as a gen, then what are you doing on a rep board? Sorry, but the fact is, and it doesn't matter who, if you're into reps, you want a copy of the gen so you can appreciate it as a gen and people or yourself recognise it as one. Not so much as fraud to sell as a gen, but the impression is of one.

Why else would there be so many reviews on our reps vs gens, so much 3rd party modders offering their services? 3rd party parts?

Regardless, the other tell would be the sheen of the SS. I haven't polished it yet, but compared to a stock SSDv2 last night, the sheen is darker, and compared to a gen Sub, hand in hand comparison, it's noticeably darker.

You hit the nail.. I think that a lot of folks are just a bit hypocritical. To say that you buy a rep of this caliber to tell folks that it is a rep is a bunch of BS. One of the real reasons why we buy this stuff is to try to pass it off as the real thing. Especially, the Type A rep collectors for one. If you just did it for the love of the piece why would so many of us be so critical about the flaws.. BTW, I always say they are reps and I am proud of it..lol

Edited by ebzen02

Good to hear. I have a good mix of gens and reps in my collection so it aint a big deal. When people ask, I just ask them what you think. Or I do say "Yeah it's a rep, straight from the markets of Thailand" and wink ;) They can take it whichever way they want. It doesn't matter to me cause I do have the funds to purchase these pieces, just that I'd rather have that money elsewhere working for me, or for me to enjoy in other ways. For some though, you can't beat a gen, especially for movements.

"Noticeably darker" is a gross exaggeration. If you polish the rep bracelet properly it's almost impossible to see the difference. Here's my $100 Asian GMT and my genuine side-by-side.

IMG_9829.jpg

Here's WM9 Sub (which has probably brighter steel than cheaper reps) and genuine GMT 16710.

2009-01-17002.jpg

You can only see ANY difference in very strong light exposure. And without having the watches side by side it's simply IMPOSSIBLE to see any (unless you have some kind of superhuman eyesight). If silly things like this bother the rep buyer, I guess gens are the only way to go.

Agreed By-Tor. The only thing is, I had this on the table next to a SSD (Takashi's) and didn't pay heed to it. Lighting was well...soft lighting (we were having a GTG ;) nothing more) and the difference in sheen and color was obvious when we started looking at them both hand in hand. Perhaps my piece has issues, or Taka polished his (never asked) but there is a difference.

With reference to the gen, again it was his wrist next to mine, and we held it up to compare under flouresant lighting. Again a difference. Doesn't bother me heaps, but its there. The more obvious one is the pearl for me and I'll probably swap in a gen insert.

I am curious though, thinking of getting the 316F bracelets and swapping out the links between the two, keeping the WM9 clasp and see how that goes.

Trust me, I have owned many Rolex reps and the difference between steel color is completely meaningless. I guess the (almost non-existant) difference doesn't even come from the actual steel "caliber" but the overall better quality brushing on the gen.

There's that weird, unexplainable difference in the bracelet "feel" when you have it in your hand though. Gen feels softer and smoother. I don't know what causes it exactly... guess it's those smoothened bracelet edges and exact middle links tolerances or whatever... but it's not a big deal, either. :)

If your amazing Sub rep has a shortcoming, it's those SELs that don't fit properly. There are noticeable gaps. But that's usual blues with the reps, unfortunately... a luck of the draw. :(

I managed to source a WM9 v1 SELs that fit amazingly well on my v2.

4.jpg

I find the noob bracelet to fit incredibly tight on the lugs of the wm9 cases. But i believe polishing of the bracelets regardless of manufacturer should be mandatory by the end user beucase it makes a WORLD of difference. I've owned several watches in my years but only polished the bracelet on my noobmariner and it stood out like a soft white reflective foil there after. Give that a try and believe me you'll be impressed. It gives the presence in my opinion that any one who sees it will think its truly a gen because of how well it shines compared to other watches they've seen before. Polishing the bracelet definitely adds that MUCH more credibility to the piece. Give it a thorough cleaning first though.

SEL fitment is a funny thing I must admit. Considering I'm more a PAM guy. I just don't see the issue many are harping on about.

I look at yours and mibne, and perhaps in one photo with the bracelet pressed up, it looks like there's a larger gap than usual.

That said, I defer to you guys for Rollie advice.

Will be giving it a good wash and polish over the weekend, so we'll see how it does on the glamor & glitz side after.

Just like i do not get what is all the fuzz about the PAM crownguards and the cannon pinions stuf!!!

Well each clan,either its a Rollie clan or a PAM clan,has its "issues" me thinks!!!

Just oil bathe the bracelet and cape cod it and you are good to go,at least this is what i did!!!

Enjoy your Sub it is a truly stunning piece my friend.

Cheers

J

Congrats on your V3 buddy. Great thing with WM9 watches is that you can mod it with gen parts, so I guess a gen insert would get rid of the first tell. You could always get a crystal next. I guess with a little TLC the steel can be improved slightly - a bit of a soak, oiling and gentle polish :thumbsupsmileyanim: Enjoy your Sub in good health mate. :thumbsupsmileyanim: