When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

thoughts on the ipad

deltatahoe

Even without the VAT is still a large amount of $$$, whatever way you look at it. Also apple are tight, retailers make virtually bugger all from apple products :p

As for R&D costs, they would be tiny, as it's basically a very large itouch, most the R&D costs are done and dusted from previous ipod builds.....

Apple can't avoid the VAT, so neither should you.

Yeah, just like you did! ;)

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

retailers make $0 from hardware sales of apple products, the money is made in selling their accessories for said pod which have tremendous markups... I was surprised to see that bestbuy makes literally 1000% off of their HDMI cables and about 60% off of monster cables which to tell you the truth arent actually as good as bestbuys own branded cables "rocketfish" in terms of printed specs...in the real world -running the cable from your bluray player to your tv you wouldnt notice any difference in the digital age anyways.

back to flash, only reason adobe isnt developing it , is because theyre not invited to do so, which is why theyre developing for the android, but if apple was fully supportive of their efforts theres a market for it so it would be done, much like how theyre creating action script installers for the ipodOS (CS5) but they wont waste resources and a potential suit making flash run on the ipod if apple doesnt want it or make it just for the jailbreakers

:yu:

Brilliant, is that Jobs actually talking about the ipad? Seriously saying that this is the best browsing experience you have ever had, it's unbelievably great, way better than a laptop? That is the stupidest statement I have ever heard, people actually believe him too? :lol:

Brilliant, is that Jobs actually talking about the ipad? Seriously saying that this is the best browsing experience you have ever had, it's unbelievably great, way better than a laptop? That is the stupidest statement I have ever heard, people actually believe him too? :lol:

Please tone the vitriol down a notch.

The iPad is really rather good at web browsing. It's better than any netbook I've tried and surprisingly better than regular laptops too. It's the feel of the pages, something specs can't provide, when you're scrolling the web and zooming in and out. In this aspect, calling it the best browsing experience is justified, if obvious hyperbole. You wouldn't expect him to call it mediocre, would you?

It's become apparent that there's little point in trying to educate you as you're having much more fun 'hating'. I've tried my best and you're far too happy just throwing in cheap shots from the sidelines. You'd better be right or you'll look like a right idiot in a year when you suddenly understand. :)

If the iPad were such a crappy idea, why are all the competitors rushing to release their tablets before Apple gets a stranglehold? Everyone in tech knows this is where the future is and they're aiming there. Watch this space, it gets fun from here.

back to flash, only reason adobe isnt developing it , is because theyre not invited to do so, which is why theyre developing for the android, but if apple was fully supportive of their efforts theres a market for it so it would be done, much like how theyre creating action script installers for the ipodOS (CS5) but they wont waste resources and a potential suit making flash run on the ipod if apple doesnt want it or make it just for the jailbreakers

Here's a little-known tale. Adobe were invited to make Flash for the iPhone way back when. They have demoed a few versions over the years and every one stank. They were invited to and could not produce anything that didn't kill the battery. Since then, Apple opened the app store and realised that no one should ever be put in a position where they're reliant on a third party for their upgrades.

So, yes, adobe have been working on Flash for the iPhone and most of that work was potted over to the FroYo version of 10.1 that's still in battery-eating beta.

Haha classic, you think my posts are vitriolic? :lol:

Please Pug, I don't want your "education", I just find it amusing, I had never heard Jobs talk about the ipad, it's hilarious, the thing doesn't support flash, and is a non standard screen format, how can it possibly be as he describes? I tried it, it was "meh" at best....

If anyone needs to take a step back it's you, you are the one taking all this personally for some reason, why is that? It's just a bit of techno fluff anyway. What you call "hating", I call perspective ;)

While this thread has been immensely entertaining to read over the last few months, I still find it hard to believe that you are so down on the iPad Mickey. I don't recall seeing anywhere you mentioning that you tried it out at the Apple store and based on the 10, 15 or 30 minutes of playing with it that you are that sure that it is such a piece of crap? Sure, it has a non-standard screen format - by yesterdays standards, but how many laptops, netbooks or most standard desktop displays have you seen that display in portrait mode? It was designed as a portable reader. It's meant to be used in both portrait and landscape modes. I'm sorry that you feel so strongly that it is pure junk, but 2 million units sold clearly indicates that Apple is on to something and now the other companies are having to scramble to keep up. I look forward to the competition's releases over the next 6 months to a year, but Apple clearly has a pretty solid lead at the moment.

While this thread has been immensely entertaining to read over the last few months, I still find it hard to believe that you are so down on the iPad Mickey. I don't recall seeing anywhere you mentioning that you tried it out at the Apple store and based on the 10, 15 or 30 minutes of playing with it that you are that sure that it is such a piece of crap? Sure, it has a non-standard screen format - by yesterdays standards, but how many laptops, netbooks or most standard desktop displays have you seen that display in portrait mode? It was designed as a portable reader. It's meant to be used in both portrait and landscape modes. I'm sorry that you feel so strongly that it is pure junk, but 2 million units sold clearly indicates that Apple is on to something and now the other companies are having to scramble to keep up. I look forward to the competition's releases over the next 6 months to a year, but Apple clearly has a pretty solid lead at the moment.

No doubt...but, even as an Apple fan, that video is pretty funny :)

I never said it wouldn't sell in any of my posts, I just think it's massively under-spec'ed, and massively over priced, typical apple really. I also find that peeps can be very patronising about it, and smug. The whole "I know something you don't know" thing, but I guess that is synonymous with apple fans in general? I understand perfectly what it is, but I am unimpressed about it on pretty much every level. Will I feel like an idiot down the road? No I won't, because I stand by my opinions, and the ipad won't suddenly become what it's not, unless apple produce a handful of new revisions in the future ;)

Seriously, if the thing had beefier specs, hi resolution widescreen, open OS, USB, HDMI, card reader and maybe a webcam too, I would have thought it was pretty neat, and may have thought about picking one up, but alas that is not the case :p

So, we know there are some people That don't and won't like the iPad so unless called out, this will probably be my last post on the subject.

In defines of the screen size, this is what browsing on a 3:4 screen looks like:

ipadgrab.jpg

This will probably be my last post on the subject as well. (Unless I find clever funny video clips). ;)

Something just dawned on me. Either reading back in this post, or talking to friends or owners who have them. I have yet to see a STRONG technical argument for the iPad or why it is really any better than any other web enabled device.

Arguments generally turn into emotional positions, "work arounds" to do things it should just do (App for that, plate stand for that, remote desktop for that, accessory keyboard/dock for that". If I hear one more time: "There is an app for that, it only costs a few $ "-- to get around some shortcoming that 5yr old computers just do, I think I am going to puke.

The "Technical" arguments against the iPad run deep and wide. Multi-touch is nothing new, touch screen is nothing new, iPhone/Touch OS is nothing new, tablets are nothing new. Sure, Apples new processor is cool, use of aluminum too. Battery life was cool, but the newest Netbooks are pushing 13 hours now. This all comes back to my truth in advertising position.

Long story short, the iPad is in fact a good "consumption" device (minus eBooks for longer than :30, glossy, backlit, fingerprint ridden screens are not the best option here- sorry).

If that is the need you have, then it is the correct product for you. I still challenge an iPad user -vs- my netbook to type this forum post quicker on the touch screen, or fill out an online shopping cart order....

I was interested in the ipad when I first heard about it, before anything was really known in detail, as I use a Sony 505 ebook reader (fantastic too!), and thought that the ipad could be the next step, but when I saw the product specs and price, that ended all those thoughts sharply! :lol:

I was interested in the ipad when I first heard about it, before anything was really known in detail, as I use a Sony 505 ebook reader (fantastic too!), and thought that the ipad could be the next step, but when I saw the product specs and price, that ended all those thoughts sharply! :lol:

399 USD for an ebook reader, that can do nothing else????????????????????????????? and you are complaining about the iPad?????????????

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

just pouring some oil....

399 USD for an ebook reader, that can do nothing else????????????????????????????? and you are complaining about the iPad?????????????

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

just pouring some oil....

Who said I paid anywhere near $399 for my "Electronic Paper" screen Sony PRS-505? ;)

I got it brand new, but clearance for a whole lot less than that ($180ish), plus it can be read for hours without eye strain due to the aforementioned screen technology B)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hate to bump this monster of an old topic, but this Kindle -vs- iPad as an eBook reader advertisement is fricking AWESOME!!!!!

I can't see the advert because it's Flash. ;)

If you want to just read books, the Kindle is probably the better bet. I use the Kindle app on the iPad because the book selection is better than Apple's iBooks, so I can imagine that you're not missing out on any books if you use a Kindle, and it's better for just reading than an iPad for numerous reasons, the biggest of which is the e-ink screen. However, books is the only think the Kindle is better at. I'd not be surprised to see iPad owners with the new cheap Kindle for reading books.