When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Super Ultimate Fully Modded Franken Pam 089

kbiz

Kbiz is the machinery your own or do you have access to it. Do you do the work mate? If so have you made mistakes in putting these together, if so what sort of things? and how much time did it take once you had everything together?

Be interesting to know how you got there and your experiences doing it if you dont mind that is. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

All the machinery is mine... and I do all my own work... two of the coolest tools in the world are the metal lathe and upright mill... you can make anything with them... along with the crap load of set-ups you need ;) Whenever you use heavy machinery you will destroy something from time to time... I have yet to damage a case though. The important thing is holding the parts properly, as in the right vise, clamps and hold downs... the amount of force exerted when machining is way higher than it seems. As for the time... well I don't rush it... sometimes I only do one part and take say 15 minutes to finish it... other times I'll spend a couple hours. I'm pretty proficient so it doesn't take me a million years... I took a jewelry making class in college and I learned the right way to work small pieces with files, etc. I worked mainly on sterling silver and learned to solder properly as well... All in all, this project took longer because of the Ti case which was far more rounded than Gen cases and the low profile bezel from DSN didn't want to fit the old cartel case... so I had to take it on and off about 6 times.

As for working with Ti it wasn't harder at all... Ti is just like working aluminum. Many people think Ti is "Harder" than other materials when in actuality it's much softer... just like aluminum... in fact, Ti is most often alloyed with aluminum. Ti is stronger than most metals but not to abrasion.... stronger as in it will bend further and than steel say and still spring back. SS is much more durable for a watch, however, Ti is super light... in fact this 089 feels like a third the weight of my 089 on the wrist.

hobby... I didn't buy all these tools just for watches though... with a metal lathe and an upright mill you can make ANYTHING... I'm a non practicing mechanical engineer who went back to school for sculpture... ran outta money and have been in sales for the last 10 years ;)

hobby... I didn't buy all these tools just for watches though... with a metal lathe and an upright mill you can make ANYTHING... I'm a non practicing mechanical engineer who went back to school for sculpture... ran outta money and have been in sales for the last 10 years ;)

I have PM'd you my order!!! ;)

Still keep coming back to those pics mate great job, respect

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...