When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to proceed with my MBW 1665

usmctowgnr

Well I took my band off of my older MBW 1665 DRSD today to find out what the serial number was on the case. Now I do not know what to do. My dial is a Mark IV dial that the best I can find was manufactured up to about 1977 with serial numbers ending in low 5 million. Well my serial number is 5.7 million which clearly falls out of the time period where Double Red dials were used. So what do I do now? I can continue with creating a version of the Mark IV and ignore this or go another route. My serial number falls right around the cut off where I could use a "Rail" dial, or just use a White 1665. Anyways, thought I would run this across everoyne and see what would be my path of least resistance. Sourcing a case with correct serial numbers for the dial, or sourcing a new dial for the correct serial numbers I have. Anyways thought I would ask.

I believe that all the old MBW 1665's had the same serial number. Other members who have one might want to weigh in on this, but it seems like thats from threads posted several years back. If all the serial numbers are the same, replacing the case wouldn't help. Possibly a earlier dial would be the solution. If you are going to get a case with a unique serial number, I think you would have to go the route of a yuki, NDtrading, etc. I believe that they will engrave a number of your choice on the case.I never considered this a problem, as the serial # is hidden by the end links, and I'm not going to let someone take my bracelet off to look!

I would not (& do not) worry about the serial number since it is normally hidden from view, only serious WIS types would know how to decipher it & only you &/or your watchmaker will ever see it anyway. Unless, of course, you are trying to sell a rep as a gen, which is definitely not recommended.

If the S/N really bothers you, rub it out and leave it blank. There are many gen pieces out there where the 12:00 and 6:00 engravings are long gone due to many decades of use with end links rubbing against the case.

Personally, I wouldn't let such things be of concern. My personal opinion on this is 'out of sight, out of mind'. For my own pieces, I don't think anyone aside from myself will ever be seeing these markings so whether they are correct or not is of little consequence to me.

Ubi is exactly right (as usual). After more than a quarter century wearing rep watches, although I am occasionally complimented, no one has ever asked to inspect the watch I am wearing. And if someone were to ask for a closer look, even a gen owner would be insane to allow a stranger (or even a friend) to remove a bracelet or open a caseback out in the real world.

Note to anyone wearing a strap with a Rolex rep - the serial/model numbers between the lugs on gen Rolex watches are always engraved. Meanwhile, the numbers on most rep cases are laser etched & the difference between engraving & laser etching is immediately obvious to anyone familiar with Rolex watches. :whistling: