When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watcher's 16610 Wm9 V3/V2 Hybrid Submariner

watcher

Thought I would show you all a couple of pics of my V2 Hybrid/Franken Submariner. It is based on the eta 2824 movement from a V3 but fitted into a V2 case as tribal did last week. It has following gen parts fitted.

Gen flat 'S' Dial

Gen Bezel Assembly

Gen Insert

Gen Crystal retainer

Gen Crystal

Gen Crown

Gen Tube

V3 Hands and movement

V1.5 End links

V3 Bracelet and clasp

I have left the Cg's on mine as they look pretty ok to me. The V2 case has the correct cg depth as Tribal states in his post and also the fitting of a gen tube gives the crown a slight gap from the case as per gen 16610.

The gen dial really needs a re-lume as the luminova has gone slightly pink in certain lights. I don't think it has been in a watch for a while and this can happen appraently.

The end links are a much smoother profile on the V1.5 Wm9 watches which was also the same as the precioustime supersub that he sold early last year I think.

I will take some better daylight pics tomorrow and a lume shot too.

001wa.jpg

009hac.jpg

004tt.jpg

And a wrist shot

007yv.jpg

Forgot to add trhat the Gen dial is 1.5mm appprox smaller than the WM9 dial and the date window is the same width but slightly higher than the rep. My pictures are not that great as I really need a new camera but the dial print is so much more crisp and stronger so it is more white than the rep dial.

Here is a pic showing my favourite date

013kzu.jpg

Really fantastic my friend.

This can't be better I think.

Please shoot some macros I would like to compare with my hybrid one.

Do you had some trouble Installing the gen Bezel?

From the Pics the Bezel looks similar to the V2 Bezel and way better

than the V3.

Maybe you can make a comparsion shot of the bezels.

It's really a beauty and I think nobody spot this as a Rep.

Congrats.

With these kinds of mods in place, it's virtually impossible to be called out with this watch.

There is, however, one quick way to know a rep: put the watch against your ear, and listen to the movement. The Rolex 3135 "sings". This sound is something that's hard to describe. The 8-tics per second has a certain very high-pitch chime to it, and then in that sound is mixed some background kind of "chime" that comes and goes, like someone was playing very very tiny tubular bells of very high note inside the watch, a bit irregularly. This sound is unique to the 3135, and is an easy way to know if it's inside or not without popping the case.

Another way is to move the hands. On modern Rolexes the hands advance when you turn the crown clockwise. In any of these ETAs that are used in reps, you have to turn the crown counter-clockwise to advance the hands.

rolexer

Really fantastic my friend.

This can't be better I think.

Please shoot some macros I would like to compare with my hybrid one.

Do you had some trouble Installing the gen Bezel?

From the Pics the Bezel looks similar to the V2 Bezel and way better

than the V3.

Maybe you can make a comparsion shot of the bezels.

It's really a beauty and I think nobody spot this as a Rep.

Congrats.

Thnakyou my friend. It means a lot coming from the expert modder!!

The Gen bezel is better in that the teeth are much deeper and a little longer so they finish nearer to the edge. This bezel is a 2nd hand peice but in very nice condition. I know longer have the V2 bezel and unfortunately the V3 was sold with it's gen LV insert fitted. Also the gen bezel has a slightly more rollededge where the insert sits. It is hard to describe but you can tell from the front view I think.

The gen bezel does not fit the rep retainer unless you trim it down and thin it out. After much messing about I got it to fit but then I found a gen retainer on Ebay and it's perfect now. The gen retainer is profiled a little differently so the insert can sit flatter than the rep.

I have just finished a little light refurb and re-brushed the band so these pics should be better.

When I look at these pictures I realize how far we have come. I remember when Watcher made that Joshua's CN Sub vs. Gen comparison in the old RWG1 (I think it was early 2005). Everyone were like "ooh how close it is".

People would be SHOCKED to see a replica that bad now. Our standards are just totally different in 2010. This franken WM9 is a testimonial to that.

I had forgotten all about that my friend but you are correct, we have come a very long way especially in the last 2 years. I look at this franken on my wrist and really see no point whatsoever in buying a gen anymore. Little things always annoyed me how ever well I modded a watch but this does not make me feel that way at all.

Thanks for all your comments, I'm very proud of this one!