When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ubi's Sunday night insert aging project

ubiquitous

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looking at the edges .. definitely not bleach.. maybe a pen eraser or some type of light emery then repolished.. whatever.. great result R :thumbsupsmileyanim:

i was just wondering how about trying some fine graded dried sand in a tupperware plastic container with a lid put your insert in and shake it in a side to side movement, if the sand is graded well in a sieve it should wear the black finish off in a supple way and you can stop at intervals and check progress mabe i should start a second project on an insert and experiment along side my "sun kissed insert project" aeromatic!!!

That looks great Ubi. Very close to what the insert looks like on my rose 7016. This insert is the original one for the watch.

superb great watches my next project will be a tudor franky! im inspired ! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks Ubi. Sorry to detract from you thread. Your bezel insert looks really good. Did you know that a gen lume pearl will fit the MBW inserts? Figured you did but just in case you didn't.....

Aeromatic, you can't go wrong. I've got some gen parts for sale for Tudor Subs. Shoot me a PM if interested.

Yeah... The gen pearl in the MBW insert is an old trick ;) For now, I'm still toying with aging these things, so until I'm at a point where I'm pleased with the results, the inserts will remain pearl-less :lol:

As far as bleach goes... I gave up on that stuff a long time ago. For grins, here's an old bleach job...

IMG_0606.jpg

:yuk:

i was just wondering how about trying some fine graded dried sand in a tupperware plastic container with a lid put your insert in and shake it in a side to side movement, if the sand is graded well in a sieve it should wear the black finish off in a supple way and you can stop at intervals and check progress mabe i should start a second project on an insert and experiment along side my "sun kissed insert project" aeromatic!!!

Wet sanding with 4000 grit lightly and evenly around the insert should achieve the desired results. Linky In fact, you might even need a larger grit... 2500 or so.

Yeah... The gen pearl in the MBW insert is an old trick ;) For now, I'm still toying with aging these things, so until I'm at a point where I'm pleased with the results, the inserts will remain pearl-less :lol:

As far as bleach goes... I gave up on that stuff a long time ago. For grins, here's an old bleach job...

Holly s... Bleep.bleep,bleep Bleach is a definate no go! thanks for sharing!!!!and saving my insert! from a fate worse than death!

:yuk:

Wet sanding with 4000 grit lightly and evenly around the insert should achieve the desired results. Linky In fact, you might even need a larger grit... 2500 or so.

Thanks Chieftang thats great!

great photos of your watch! :thumbsupsmileyanim: i love that crystal thickness too!

Hehe, only gen crystals will do on some of these vintage pieces!!

PS, It's not mine anymore... But it is still in the RWG family!

nice to know its in good hands! great crystal really great! looking forward to building my own tudor!!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Edited by aeromatic